Home Improvement

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Interesting. When you said concrete walls I was thinking it was an insulated concrete form house but those usually just have standard framed walls in the interior.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Yes. Literally just concrete block painted.

View attachment 287173
Not sure what the "best" solution would be, but if you don't mind the box sticking out from the wall a bit, that would probably be the easiest. No drilling and no mess!

Edit: For example (except your wires will be in the wall):

1595429176362.png

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Not sure what the "best" solution would be, but if you don't mind the box sticking out from the wall a bit, that would probably be the easiest. No drilling and no mess!

Edit: For example (except your wires will be in the wall):

View attachment 287233
Thanks for the idea. I may just do this in the living room with ethernet jack and then just do a switch in attic and mount AP's in bedroom ceilings and forget running ethernet jacks in bedrooms. Maybe that's the best compromise.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Thanks for the idea. I may just do this in the living room with ethernet jack and then just do a switch in attic and mount AP's in bedroom ceilings and forget running ethernet jacks in bedrooms. Maybe that's the best compromise.
The only downside is it's a bit of an eyesore, but you'll probably have your desk or table in front of or over it so you won't see it anyway.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
The only downside is it's a bit of an eyesore, but you'll probably have your desk or table in front of or over it so you won't see it anyway.
Yeah it is.. its either eyesore on inside or outside of house. Cable coax already runs outside so running it next to it may be /shrug at this point rather than defacing the inside wall.

Siliconemelons

Foler Foler I would use fish tape vs a push rod.

Do turn off the breaker before - as you will have exposed wire once you remove face plate and the plug from the gang housing.

Buy an "old work" 1 gang from lowes/thedepot and cut a proper hole a few inches to the left or right... use a stud finder as generally power boxes and attached to a stud.. So go on obviously /the other side/

Your power gang box is most likely metal, there will be some circle punch outs in it, pop out one of the side of "not the stud" - aka were your putting the Ethernet box. Pop out the appropriate hole on your new work gang box.

Run the fish tape up where the power wire is coming from and up the wall... it should eventually pop up - up top where you posted a pic.

Go up, use electrical tape to tape you cat5 to the fish tape- go down, pull it through. Then get it from the power gang box to the new gang box, and do your thing.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Oh... or Ethernet over power lines... and Wi-Fi mesh boosters...
Its an option but wired AP's or straight wired would be ideal. AP/meshes with PoE injected power is my backup plan.

Siliconemelons

If you do wired AP, you seem to have good attic access and could ceiling mount w/o having to do wall runs.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Soo went out there today. Didn't pull the outlet. Think I've decided to just run it from the attic outside, down side of house then back inside through wall like how my coax is right now. In fact ill probably throw them both in conduit to make it cleaner than it looks now. Did install an arlo camera.

Question - how concerned should I be about these horizontal/vertical cracks in the concrete wall? On one side of house there's a section where the crack circles back and connects on itself, encompassing about 6-8 blocks - bathroom is on the other side of wall. House is concrete slab and 60 years old.

20200725_142328.jpg

20200725_142332.jpg

20200725_142342.jpg

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Soo went out there today. Didn't pull the outlet. Think I've decided to just run it from the attic outside, down side of house then back inside through wall like how my coax is right now. In fact ill probably throw them both in conduit to make it cleaner than it looks now. Did install an arlo camera.

Question - how concerned should I be about these horizontal/vertical cracks in the concrete wall? On one side of house there's a section where the crack circles back and connects on itself, encompassing about 6-8 blocks - bathroom is on the other side of wall. House is concrete slab and 60 years old.

View attachment 287967

View attachment 287968

View attachment 287969
I believe the rule of thumb is quarter inch gap is when it’s concerning. A structural engineer came out and inspected my previous house and prescribed a couple helical screws to support the foundation where it was showing more dramatic cracking than that.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I believe the rule of thumb is quarter inch gap is when it’s concerning. A structural engineer came out and inspected my previous house and prescribed a couple helical screws to support the foundation where it was showing more dramatic cracking than that.
Think I should have a structural engineer take a peek at it just for the hell of it?

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Think I should have a structural engineer take a peek at it just for the hell of it?
Those are extremely superficial but if you're worried about it you could probably email some pictures to an engineer for a reduced fee (vs an in person visit). Cracks like that are inevitable around vents.

If it looked more like this then I'd say call an engineer asap:

1595717320028.png

• 1Solidarity

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Those are extremely superficial but if you're worried about it you could probably email some pictures to an engineer for a reduced fee (vs an in person visit). Cracks like that are inevitable around vents.

If it looked more like this then I'd say call an engineer asap:

View attachment 287981
Ok thanks. Should I just patch it then before painting and call it a day?

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Ok thanks. Should I just patch it then before painting and call it a day?
They make resin specifically for those types of cracks but I'm not sure if it's paintable. I'm not sure that it's even necessary since you're in Florida and there's never a freeze/thaw cycle, but I'm talking out of my ass here and don't actually know anything beyond my experience from a couple years ago.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Here's the game plan. You can see how coax for cable is run through attic, then back outside then down and back inside to coax jack.

What if I just got a wall plate thats combo ethernet/coax, run the ethernet the same way and put both in conduit on side of house to make it look nice? Ill run a switch in the attic and just do PoE ceiling mount AP's to bedrooms.

78381.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Trying to replace old ghetto theromstat with nest. Took a look at the air handler and this is what I have.

I know it's not a great pic, i didn't see labels on terminals until I looked at pic later. Can't find a wiring diagram for this trane handler from 1994. I see w1, w2 and what looks like R, O, B.. Obviously I need to go back and take a better look but is it fine to just rewire it straight to nest or do I need to investigate further? I see OB on nest but O and B looks like separate terminals here. Not sure about w2 either.

20200725_152529.jpg

Nb52w.png

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I don't suppose anyone has built a rock climbing wall in their house here?
My daughter just turned 2 last month and I really like the idea of building an indoor rock climbing wall for her because it seems like an active "toy" that doesn't take up extra space and that should might play with it for a ~decade. A lot of the web examples I've seen are either plain/ugly plywood and/or simple flat walls. I was thinking of doing something with horizontal slats and also some inverts and overhangs. I've done electrical, drywall and roofing on new home construction, but never framing and i think that'll be a critical part of the idea. Seems simple enough, but I wouldn't mind finding some plans I can adapt to the space I'm looking at.