Home Improvement

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Trying to replace old ghetto theromstat with nest. Took a look at the air handler and this is what I have.

I know it's not a great pic, i didn't see labels on terminals until I looked at pic later. Can't find a wiring diagram for this trane handler from 1994. I see w1, w2 and what looks like R, O, B.. Obviously I need to go back and take a better look but is it fine to just rewire it straight to nest or do I need to investigate further? I see OB on nest but O and B looks like separate terminals here. Not sure about w2 either.

View attachment 288111

View attachment 288112

You've got everything you need there for a Nest, but you're going to have to do some experimenting. A signal tracer would help so you can figure out what the wires are when they get back to your air handler. That would make life easier.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
from what i remember of redoing my thermos w1 and w2 stand for water (heat) pump 1 and water (heat) pump 2

i didn't bother caring since water pumps are in the south, which is what you got, so figure out how to configure a nest for the south.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
You've got everything you need there for a Nest, but you're going to have to do some experimenting. A signal tracer would help so you can figure out what the wires are when they get back to your air handler. That would make life easier.
Thanks. Gonna look into it.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't suppose anyone has built a rock climbing wall in their house here?
My daughter just turned 2 last month and I really like the idea of building an indoor rock climbing wall for her because it seems like an active "toy" that doesn't take up extra space and that should might play with it for a ~decade. A lot of the web examples I've seen are either plain/ugly plywood and/or simple flat walls. I was thinking of doing something with horizontal slats and also some inverts and overhangs. I've done electrical, drywall and roofing on new home construction, but never framing and i think that'll be a critical part of the idea. Seems simple enough, but I wouldn't mind finding some plans I can adapt to the space I'm looking at.

Had a neighbor who built one into their fireplace, which rose up 2.5 stories through the main room (hearths on two sides). It was probably 7 feet wide and 20-21 feet high. The hand-holds were built in, not movable. The house was taller than usual, not a typical floor plan.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Had a neighbor who built one into their fireplace, which rose up 2.5 stories through the main room (hearths on two sides). It was probably 7 feet wide and 20-21 feet high. The hand-holds were built in, not movable. The house was taller than usual, not a typical floor plan.
Don't think I can swing that one.

I'm aiming for something like this, but extend the R wall/flat part out another 7ft. Is there a name for those overhangs in the context of framing walls? We always said "dormers" for the roof. Trying to look up some plans for something with more angles in it instead of the 90 degree angles

0654c2ffc09eb00a93873cb19d5e6d9d.png

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>

I'm aiming for something like this, but extend the R wall/flat part out another 7ft. Is there a name for those overhangs in the context of framing walls? We always said "dormers" for the roof. Trying to look up some plans for something with more angles in it instead of the 90 degree angles

View attachment 288278
A bouldering wall. This is awesome. Make sure you make it so you can reroute it. Hit up your local climbing gym for tips - they probably reroute their walls every so often to make new routes for climbers.

Siliconemelons

Trying to replace old ghetto theromstat with nest. Took a look at the air handler and this is what I have.

I know it's not a great pic, i didn't see labels on terminals until I looked at pic later. Can't find a wiring diagram for this trane handler from 1994. I see w1, w2 and what looks like R, O, B.. Obviously I need to go back and take a better look but is it fine to just rewire it straight to nest or do I need to investigate further? I see OB on nest but O and B looks like separate terminals here. Not sure about w2 either.

View attachment 288111

View attachment 288112

You may be in my predicament - Trane - older ones or even now- used a different from "standard" wire color to terminal configuration ... for whatever reason.

When I had my handler replaced they had to put fuses on the power ones and play guess the wire to translate them into the proper ones... putting the wrong ones in can blow up some - something inside your handler and not be happy. Or least both AC people that I had in messing with my replacement mentioned.

So I have a cool new programmable thermo...but because the wires are not what they should be...I have just left mine.

• 1Cringe

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
You may be in my predicament - Trane - older ones or even now- used a different from "standard" wire color to terminal configuration ... for whatever reason.

When I had my handler replaced they had to put fuses on the power ones and play guess the wire to translate them into the proper ones... putting the wrong ones in can blow up some - something inside your handler and not be happy. Or least both AC people that I had in messing with my replacement mentioned.

So I have a cool new programmable thermo...but because the wires are not what they should be...I have just left mine.
Damn.. honestly the handler/ac is from 1994 so it probably will need replacing soon. AC people coming out next week. Reallyyy hoping they can install that nest.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

View attachment 288278

For kids, you're definitely better off not going too high. There's an important safety factor to consider. I would call it the interior wall of a dormer as well (like that picture) but some Google searches of indoor climbing walls should yield great examples of complex angles without too much height.

Would this be something they only use with your supervisions, or whenever they want? Even a 6 foot fall can be dangerous if the kiddo if already partially upside down.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
For kids, you're definitely better off not going too high. There's an important safety factor to consider. I would call it the interior wall of a dormer as well (like that picture) but some Google searches of indoor climbing walls should yield great examples of complex angles without too much height.

Would this be something they only use with your supervisions, or whenever they want? Even a 6 foot fall can be dangerous if the kiddo if already partially upside down.
The reason I want to build it inside (and not in the Garage, like my woman suggested) is because I want her and her cousins/friends to be able to play on it year round and unsupervised. Shes 2 right now, her friends are 18mos-2y, and her cousins are 3y-8y. My plan was to the build the wall floor to ceiling right out of the gate, but only put grips on there up to about 4ft to start, and add more higher up as time goes on. We also have 1in soft pads that are covering the floor of her play room right now, and I'm planning to get some of the thicker 4in pads to go directly under the rock wall.

Siliconemelons

Damn.. honestly the handler/ac is from 1994 so it probably will need replacing soon. AC people coming out next week. Reallyyy hoping they can install that nest.

AC guy will be able to figure it out and install it...its not that the thermo will not work, its just the wire combos... again this is from a very naive perspective - as mine I am sure was some form of jerry rig and I had half a mind to buy new wire and do a fresh pull through...but my handler and thermostat are fairly far away and /nothing/ ever works like /it should/ round here... and I cant go without AC :p

see: How Wire a Trane, GE, or American Standard Thermostat, Ameican Standard, GE & Trane Thermostat Wiring Connection Tables

vs

I am sure the differences could be figured out to what you need.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Was out there this morning to meet a workman. We're looking at side of house, he points behind me, theres a bear. Another one jumped right out of the bushes following the first. Don't mind us! They just walked right on along! Not very big ones. Maybe teenagers. 🤷‍♂️

20200728_073414-01.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Was out there this morning to meet a workman. We're looking at side of house, he points behind me, theres a bear. Another one jumped right out of the bushes following the first. Don't mind us! They just walked right on along! Not very big ones. Maybe teenagers. 🤷‍♂️

View attachment 288639
Black bears don't get very big do they? I haven't seen one where I'm at, lots of foxes, armadillos, and gofer tortoises though.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Black bears don't get very big do they? I haven't seen one where I'm at, lots of foxes, armadillos, and gofer tortoises though.
Nah they really dont and honestly from my experience I've only seen larger ones a few times out there. Even then iirc they aren't that much larger. Im sure I'll see them more once I move in. Then I'll get lots of pics.

Tons of hawks out there. Like any given time you can spot a hawk. It's pretty cool. Saw one with a snake the other day. Not really into birding but it got me curious. Pretty sure they're red shouldered hawks that are nesting in the denser woods on the property. Two of them were getting into it this morning with some crows.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Electrician installed overhead outlet in pantry. Gonna install coax and ethernet jacks myself. Will put modem, router, switch and NAS server in here.

20200729_134217-01.jpeg

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Looks like I'm replacing all my porch columns. Took all the railing off, there's a hole in one post, and most of them have some kind of splitting. I looked into saving them but the guys on reddit said that was dumb and just replace them, so I have a post jack being delivered tomorrow. Pretty worried that I'm going to fuck it up, but whatever, the videos looked pretty easy and it's something new.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
You won't fuck it up. The only thing I can recommend is that the first cut you make sure to go a little bigger than you need, so you can slowly work down to the correct height, and never settle for a too short post. Use your jack post to lift things a little extra, and just work one post at a time. You'll get reward sex when you explain how you resupported the entire building and how difficult the engineering of it was. :)

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
They make resin specifically for those types of cracks but I'm not sure if it's paintable. I'm not sure that it's even necessary since you're in Florida and there's never a freeze/thaw cycle, but I'm talking out of my ass here and don't actually know anything beyond my experience from a couple years ago.

I think that stuff is more for basement cracks where water is going to be coming in through them. On an exterior wall I think you could just shove some spackle in the cracks and paint it.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Looks like I'm replacing all my porch columns. Took all the railing off, there's a hole in one post, and most of them have some kind of splitting. I looked into saving them but the guys on reddit said that was dumb and just replace them, so I have a post jack being delivered tomorrow. Pretty worried that I'm going to fuck it up, but whatever, the videos looked pretty easy and it's something new.

I'm sure the post jack will be a lot less expensive but you're missing a prime opportunity to rent a skid steer.

• 1Like