Home Improvement

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Was working on the barn yesterday. Had toolbox and wire shelving delivered. Barn has a bunch of old furniture in it that I need to get rid of. Had an issue with squirrels getting in and then dieing which I think I solved. Cleaned out carcasses out but place still smells musty and a bit like dead animals. Gonna wipe the floors down. Reallyyy don't wanna go in that fucking aids attic. Would damprid or something else maybe I can plug into wall assist with musty smell?

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
The guest bathroom in the new house was wobbly and leaking. Previous owner ( friend ) said that it's because the pipe and flange coming out of the floor, which is cast iron, is a half an inch too tall and the shims the plumber used were all knocked lose.

Pulled the toilet out to make sure the floor wasn't rotting and to replace the seal and shims. Decided to make a base out of plywood instead. Works great and is very stable, but now I'm just worried about the base concealing a leak if another one occurs. Was this a dumb idea?

Screenshot_20200831-082020_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200831-082007_Gallery.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Foler Foler
I have one of these things, and I periodically run it in all my out buildings for a day or so. It really eliminates smells.

Bandwagon Bandwagon
I don't think that will conceal a leak. If it's leaking, you'll see it, and it looks like you got the larger size wax seal. Should be good. What's under that bathroom? Just keep a close eye on it for a while and your worries will disappear.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
yea i have the same ozone thing as lurkingdirk lurkingdirk , DO NOT live in the same fucking room if you use it, go out of the fucking house for a day, it will kill you!!!

examples:
we don't smoke and our cars never had smoke, but why not, so i used it full blast on a car (closed windows etc) wow holy shit i swear a small dog would be dead in 5s if you open the door, it took 2 full days for the lingering ozone to dissipate.

it took only a day for my basement to dissipate, probably b/c it was an enclosed area with lots of open air.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
yea i have the same ozone thing as lurkingdirk lurkingdirk , DO NOT live in the same fucking room if you use it, go out of the fucking house for a day, it will kill you!!!

examples:
we don't smoke and our cars never had smoke, but why not, so i used it full blast on a car (closed windows etc) wow holy shit i swear a small dog would be dead in 5s if you open the door, it took 2 full days for the lingering ozone to dissipate.

it took only a day for my basement to dissipate, probably b/c it was an enclosed area with lots of open air.

Words of wisdom.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Foler Foler
I have one of these things, and I periodically run it in all my out buildings for a day or so. It really eliminates smells.

Bandwagon Bandwagon
I don't think that will conceal a leak. If it's leaking, you'll see it, and it looks like you got the larger size wax seal. Should be good. What's under that bathroom? Just keep a close eye on it for a while and your worries will disappear.
Thanks lurk! Ordered one. Will let you know how it goes.. hoping to turn part of the barn that isn't being utilized to store 60 year old smelly furniture as a tool room/small gym. Got damprid to start, ozone generator looks promising.. No AC in barn so I'll prob just buy one of those large box fans. Will report back on how ozone thingy works.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>

examples:

How do you know it's dissipated? Barn isn't lock tight sealed (windows are bordered with wood). No one lives in it. Maybe 1000-1200 sqr ft.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Bruh, there's spiders under there though...
Lol. You need to fully suit up. Was in home depot other day. None of those protective painter suits or whatever in stock. I guess the majority are made by same people who make masks so they've had no inventory of them for a while.

On a side note, finally moving in this week. Finished sealing the attic, laid rat/mouse traps, electrical finally got converted to underground, have a sexy new underground transformer and everything is looking good! Once I'm moved in gonna start fixing up the cosmetic exterior. Still need gutters done.

Decided you all were right. Deck doesn't need replacing now. Just a pressure wash and I'll wait till maybe next year once lumber prices go down. Would have been nice to have two more feet to it... Ordering a weber genesis ii grill for it, hoping my old weber smoker still works.

Was walking down by the river yesterday, green snake fell out of tree, grabbed a frog and skated off across the water.. Walking back up to house I almost stepped on a snake basking in the sun lol.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
What if, for the deck, i just pressure washed it, replaced bad boards, sanded it and then stained it a color. Would look completely uniform and a lot better you think? I already own a belt and circular sander.

Most of the boards are in fine condition. Maybe 2-3 have some rot that would warrant replacing.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
How do you know it's dissipated? Barn isn't lock tight sealed (windows are bordered with wood). No one lives in it. Maybe 1000-1200 sqr ft.
1 breathe of ozone is enough to almost make you wrench your gut, if you walk in and don't die, then it's good

just turn on the machine for 1hr then

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
1 breathe of ozone is enough to almost make you wrench your gut, if you walk in and don't die, then it's good

just turn on the machine for 1hr then
Ok. It's not urgent for me to get back in barn. I can let it sit for a day or two.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Ok. It's not urgent for me to get back in barn. I can let it sit for a day or two.
i mean if it really smells give it a double dose, it's an old school mecahnical timer, so the max is 2hrs i think, so just do 4hrs and don't go back in a few days. i'm sure it also has a "hold" option, but idk, that might be dangerous unless you monitor it for a few hours

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
What if, for the deck, i just pressure washed it, replaced bad boards, sanded it and then stained it a color. Would look completely uniform and a lot better you think? I already own a belt and circular sander.

Most of the boards are in fine condition. Maybe 2-3 have some rot that would warrant replacing.
Sanding will be effort regardless, but I’d try a pole sander before powered sanders so you don’t have to bend over. If the pole sander ends up being too slow and/or you’d rather be on hands and knees, a belt sander will make quick work but is way more aggressive than a random orbital sander. I wouldn’t use anything less than 80 grit. It’ll chew right through those boards and be a real pain to get them evenly sanded. Do a second pass with 150 grit for a smooth finish. No need to go higher than that for a deck imo.

Unfortunately, the replaced deck boards will be too wet to accept stain and sealer so they will stand out for a couple seasons. I don’t know that there’s a simple way around that.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'm planning on using this stuff on my decks. I haven't actually tried it yet but I will sometime this fall. I can't say from personal experience but there's a lot of good reviews on YouTube.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Thanks lurk! Ordered one. Will let you know how it goes.. hoping to turn part of the barn that isn't being utilized to store 60 year old smelly furniture as a tool room/small gym. Got damprid to start, ozone generator looks promising.. No AC in barn so I'll prob just buy one of those large box fans. Will report back on how ozone thingy works.

Great! But listen to what Lanx said - don't run it while you're in the building.

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
When I was a kid my mom had an ozone generator running continuously in our living room. It definitely helps with smells but is uncomfortable to breathe. I don’t know if it’s pseudoscience or well established, but I’ve heard that ozone (O3) works by binding to airborne particles (dust, dander, etc) and causing them to become too heavy to stay airborne. This means that when you breathe these heavy particles in, they settle in your lungs as your lungs aren’t very good at getting stuff out of them. Again, I don’t remember where I heard this, but it seems like it’s generally not a good idea to casually breathe it in.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I'm planning on using this stuff on my decks. I haven't actually tried it yet but I will sometime this fall. I can't say from personal experience but there's a lot of good reviews on YouTube.

Last year we were cleaning the walls of a 120 year old concrete block building and used straight chlorine that we can get at a local True Value for $5 for 2.5 gallons. It worked just as well as the product in that video, but of course the chlorine fumes were so strong that we had to wear filtered masks.