Home Improvement

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I don’t remember what it’s called but there’s a rotary head attachment for like $60 but it leaves a perfect finish and covers a huge area.
yea it's called a surface cleaner
8c2fd892072f63b52fd7ed69de732dab.png

i have one too, it's basically a rod with 2 nozzles on the bottom, it "floats" on brushes all around the circumference so thats how it's "easier" to clean, you just go swish swish a few times instead of have a a clear back and forth motion

HOWEVER, you can't adust the nozzles or the pressure, if you just use the wand, you can go close or further away to increase/decrease pressure, this doesn't really matter with the surface cleaner since most ppl use it for driveways/concrete, and i'm sure it'll be fine for wood.

but for that deck where the wood is older than most ppl on the forum... maybe not

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Radon pump installed... House is built on cost so might be useless.

• 1Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Radon pump installed... House is built on cost so might be useless.

Pretty sure you need ventilation and filters on the top side specifically for that as well (unless things have evolved in the last 25 years from when we had it).

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Man, so much great advice. Thanks everyone. Meeting a buddy out there tomorrow to discuss what we wanna do. You guys have given some great options. I thought I remembered reading that pressure washing your deck was a bad idea but maybe it was only that it was a bad idea at higher pressures.

If I pressure washed it would I sand it after then seal it? At that point I'd at the very least prob just replace deck boards.

Awesome. How would you test the joists? How could I test the support post? Support posts look solid but I wanna make sure.
Replacing a couple deck boards will be an eye sore for a few months but they’ll probably blend in by the beginning of next summer. Unfortunately the new boards won’t accept stain and seal so you’ll either need to wait on that or do it again on those boards when they’re ready.

You heard right that pressure washing raw lumber can tear it up. Ideally a pressure washer is used on a treated surface and lower pressure just to wash off the caked on dirt. If you use a too narrow nozzle and too high pressure it’ll cut right through the fibers and compress the deeper wood leaving obvious pits and scratches. However, too broad of a stream or too low pressure will take forever and do a poor job of cleaning the surface.

I love this rotating nozzle (linked below). It’s pricey but not as pricey as one of those disc surface cleaner attachments and arguably works better (or is at least more versatile). You can crank the pressure all the way up and not have to worry about tearing up what you’re cleaning.

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Forgot to ask. Can everyone here agree that being quoted 11k, which included 6 days of labor (48 hours) was highway robbery? Couldn't 2 skilled people do this entire thing in two days?
I mean, 11k seems exceptionally high to me, but rebuilding a whole deck of your size would take me longer than two full days even with a skilled helper - especially since I have to remove the old deck first. I don’t know what a more reasonable price would be given the lumber shortage.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Working in the attic is complete aids and if I stop posting it's because I died up there from heat stroke.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
More or less this for faucet. Since deck covers the majority of that side of house it just makes it easy access.

Some of the boards definitely need replacing even if I was to go pressure washer route.
you could just be like me, i flipped my old boards over and i instantly got a new deck

• 1Trump
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
For 11k i could prob fly you all here round trip, buy a ton of booze and do this deck in a day LOL.

Managed to mesh over half the attic vents today. Noticed rat poo.

What do? Can i just put some rat traps around entrance after I make sure entire attic is sealed?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
For 11k i could prob fly you all here round trip, buy a ton of booze and do this deck in a day LOL.

Managed to mesh over half the attic vents today. Noticed rat poo.

What do? Can i just put some rat traps around entrance after I make sure entire attic is sealed?
anything but poison, you want them dying in that trap for easy disposal

• 1Solidarity

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Question regarding interior painting...

Getting a few quotes and I have a wall in the living room that is about 27’ tall and 8’ wide, guy was telling me they may have to go over it with a different type of paint due to the size. I was like uhhh what? Haven’t seen the quote yet though.

Vinen

God is dead
Question regarding interior painting...

Getting a few quotes and I have a wall in the living room that is about 27’ tall and 8’ wide, guy was telling me they may have to go over it with a different type of paint due to the size. I was like uhhh what? Haven’t seen the quote yet though.

WTF? LOL. Paint doesn't give a fuck about the size of the area its painted over.

Vinen

God is dead
Decking is one of the least complicated carpentry projects.

You'll be surprised how easy. If it's a ground floor deck you and a buddy can do it in a weekend. If it's a high deck you need to plan it out.

11k for a deck is straight robbery. If you're making it out of pressure treated wood.

Depends on the state. Labor is priced drastically different in different markets.

11K for a deck in MA would get you a piece of shit thrown together by day laborers picked up outside the local home depot.

• 1Worf

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
WTF? LOL. Paint doesn't give a fuck about the size of the area its painted over.

Yeah I’m interested in seeing how this bus written up and explained. Guy is super highly recommended around the city, maybe he was just struggling to explain to me what he was trying to say. We’ll see! Will probably be a $6-7k job if my own estimate is correct.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Forgot to ask. Can everyone here agree that being quoted 11k, which included 6 days of labor (48 hours) was highway robbery? Couldn't 2 skilled people do this entire thing in two days?
I don't know your exact square footage but that sounds like high end composition pricing to me.