Home Improvement

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Just put some poison in the attic. I used to change out traps multiple times per season. After putting pack of poison pellets up there, I haven't heard one scratch in the night for well over a year.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
When I was a kid my mom had an ozone generator running continuously in our living room. It definitely helps with smells but is uncomfortable to breathe. I don’t know if it’s pseudoscience or well established, but I’ve heard that ozone (O3) works by binding to airborne particles (dust, dander, etc) and causing them to become too heavy to stay airborne. This means that when you breathe these heavy particles in, they settle in your lungs as your lungs aren’t very good at getting stuff out of them. Again, I don’t remember where I heard this, but it seems like it’s generally not a good idea to casually breathe it in.
the ozone from living room ozone generators is like seriously 1/1000th the ozone power of one of those real ozone generators

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
the ozone from living room ozone generators is like seriously 1/1000th the ozone power of one of those real ozone generators
That makes sense and makes me feel a lot better lmao

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Last year we were cleaning the walls of a 120 year old concrete block building and used straight chlorine that we can get at a local True Value for $5 for 2.5 gallons. It worked just as well as the product in that video, but of course the chlorine fumes were so strong that we had to wear filtered masks.

Makes sense. I think that's mostly what's in the 30 second cleaner. I paid $50 for 4 gallons of it on Amazon.

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
Anyone have experience with a whole house dehumidifier?

Or:

Apparently the math on new windows doesn't work out...

Might be installing whole wall bookshelves soon.
I was looking into that. But the water per day for a"whole house" dehumidifier was the same as a stand up unit from Lowe's for a quarter the price. I got that and it solved my problem

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
CC56C6AA-CD1A-46B6-B522-A3DB126FD337.jpeg

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
directtoolsoutlet is having laborday now 20% off and freeshipping on 150+

discount is applied pre-discount
78fc0d9c8cf33c2046e895cf40a5fe68.png

i just ordered random stuff i didn't have, eventually i'll have a use

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
What's the best way to clear up an old shower drain? Baking soda?

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
What's the best way to clear up an old shower drain? Baking soda?
shower drain will be primarily hair
b6f3fe8749da9c3317fee487328d228e.png

so just grab some cheap liquid plumr

for me lye was actually cheaper than liquid plumbr, and i've been using that for a while, i've switched to "thrift"

it's about 3x more expensive than lye
Thrift T-100 Alkaline Based 1-Pound Granular Drain Cleaner

and you can't buy it in stores, it "seems" it's only for plumbers and commercial places, ppl say this is what prisons use to clear up "clogged" toilets

i bought a 12lb pack for 70bucks, it works out to being the same price as buying many bottles of lye
THRIFT T-600 Alkaline Based 6 lb. Granular Drain Cleaner (2-(Pack))

and of course you can go all physical with a snake and auger

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
If you're going to use the snake and auger do it before you dump the acid in. My mom had me come over and snake her drain once and neglected to mention that she had already dumped hydrochloric acid in there. Grats me on melted hands from touching the snake.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Fucker

Log Wizard

Many old units pumped out a lot of O3. If he had difficulty breathing, then he was breathing in too much 03. Some of the newer air cleaners produced too much ozone. I owned a rental house that had a built in o3 generator, and it was only 15 years old. That thing practically made my mouth numb the first time I smelled it running.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I had a clog in my shower drain for the longest time... drano would work but only for a couple days it seemed like, then it would start again. No idea what it was but what I ended up using was a regular old plunger and I've never had an issue again.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I had a clog in my shower drain for the longest time... drano would work but only for a couple days it seemed like, then it would start again. No idea what it was but what I ended up using was a regular old plunger and I've never had an issue again.
yea sounds like you had a big clump of disgusting

also theres a difference between a sink plunger and toilet plunger
toilet-plunger-300x167.jpg

i have no idea why anyone would be so desperate to use their toilet plunger in their sink

• 1Like

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
My fiance is basically a mermaid, so I'm constantly dealing the clogged drains. I've found these guys work great.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
What if, for the deck, i just pressure washed it, replaced bad boards, sanded it and then stained it a color. Would look completely uniform and a lot better you think? I already own a belt and circular sander.

Most of the boards are in fine condition. Maybe 2-3 have some rot that would warrant replacing.

Just keep doing this, and after a few years / cycles you will have so many mismatched boards it will start looking intentional.

• 1Worf