Home Improvement

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
tenor.gif

no point in doing a "minor" fix when you need to replace the entire kitchen, just by looking at the floor it's a kitchen from the 70s, might as well just live with it until you save enough/want to do a remodel.
Yeah, it needs replacing eventually. You may be right. I may just need to sand that cabinet door down some so it'll close and call it a day.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Looks like lumber prices are falling. You guys think they'll be back to normal by December?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
If you find your county extension agent they usually have some good resources for getting seeds in you area.

Vinen

God is dead
tenor.gif

no point in doing a "minor" fix when you need to replace the entire kitchen, just by looking at the floor it's a kitchen from the 70s, might as well just live with it until you save enough/want to do a remodel.

^

That kitchen.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
my thermostat alerted me by email that my indoor temp is 5degrees from my desired temp, which means theres an issue. so thats cool that the sensi does that

anyway i went outside and i saw a chunk of ice on the lines that doesn't have foam on it, so i ran the hose on it to have it fall off and turn off the ac, i expect my a-coil is frozen too, i don't want to open it up tho, cuz it's like super sealed.

my air filter was pretty dirty, but i had already changed it in june, usually it's 6months till it gets this dirty, but it has been super hot this whole summer, so i guess i just didn't account for the ac being on all the time and collectinging so much dust (my filters are merv12 so not so not super restrictive, and havent' had an issue for years besides now).

i did a quick google and it said to just turn the fan on (not auto) and it'll just try to blow the ice loose.

anything else i should try? or just really wait a day, it'll be fine tomorrow

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
my thermostat alerted me by email that my indoor temp is 5degrees from my desired temp, which means theres an issue. so thats cool that the sensi does that

anyway i went outside and i saw a chunk of ice on the lines that doesn't have foam on it, so i ran the hose on it to have it fall off and turn off the ac, i expect my a-coil is frozen too, i don't want to open it up tho, cuz it's like super sealed.

my air filter was pretty dirty, but i had already changed it in june, usually it's 6months till it gets this dirty, but it has been super hot this whole summer, so i guess i just didn't account for the ac being on all the time and collectinging so much dust (my filters are merv12 so not so not super restrictive, and havent' had an issue for years besides now).

i did a quick google and it said to just turn the fan on (not auto) and it'll just try to blow the ice loose.

One of the buildings I help manage is wired with Sensi Thermostats. They're pretty great. The building has not been used much over the last six months, so the temperatures have been set super high so they're not running to air condition an empty building. Set to 85. It never got super hot, but it did alert me to high humidity in the rooms (anything above 70%). That's helpful, because high humidity like that is harmful to buildings if it's like that a long time. So I run the air conditioner for an hour or so, takes the humidity back down to a reasonable level, and we're all good. I love automated/wifi thermostats.

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>

Change the air filter and take your shop vac and suck out the condensate lines from the outside. They can get plugged with water vegetation and sludge.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Change the air filter and take your shop vac and suck out the condensate lines from the outside. They can get plugged with water vegetation and sludge.
air filters already change, i keep that area pretty clean too, i don't even let grass grow there it's just a 2in of bedding around the perimeter. but i don't see water no where besides where i sprayed to get the ice off, do that area?

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
air filters already change, i keep that area pretty clean too, i don't even let grass grow there it's just a 2in of bedding around the perimeter. but i don't see water no where besides where i sprayed to get the ice off, do that area?
Mine comes up out of the ground but in this example it drops after coming out of the house. Attach the end of your hose to the end of the pvc and seal it as well as you can so it actually draws any potential clogs into the vacuum.
Edit: also make sure the fins on your registers and returns are open. In your case, freezing up is likely caused by not enough air flow (dirty filter and can’t force enough air in/out).
C9F8FFB6-8ED5-4461-9129-531D932531D6.jpeg

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Mine comes up out of the ground but in this example it drops after coming out of the house. Attach the end of your hose to the end of the pvc and seal it as well as you can so it actually draws any potential clogs into the vacuum.
View attachment 302536
oh ok, theres a drain where my furnace is like a foot away thats where my condensate drains to
thx

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
oh ok, theres a drain where my furnace is like a foot away thats where my condensate drains to
Eh it’s probably fine then. Wouldn’t hurt to force drain it, but a short run like that won’t have as much opportunity to gather sludge. Mine is at least 20 ft from the air handler. Also check my edit above.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Eh it’s probably fine then. Wouldn’t hurt to force drain it, but a short run like that won’t have as much opportunity to gather sludge. Mine is at least 20 ft from the air handler. Also check my edit above.
the returns in my house are all in wall with no open/close flags just always open, air comes out from floor which do have flaps. (and comes out from the ceiling in the basement)

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
the returns in my house are all in wall with no open/close flags just always open, air comes out from floor which do have flaps. (and comes out from the ceiling in the basement)
One time at my business some knuckleheads pushed a cart up against the return and bent the fins shut. It choked off enough air flow to ice up the inside of the air handler.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
One time at my business some knuckleheads pushed a cart up against the return and bent the fins shut. It choked off enough air flow to ice up the inside of the air handler.
woke up to hot temps, turned on ac, blowing cold, or maybe it's just blowing the ice, ha, temps are stable, guess i'll see

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
string trimmer failed, actually it burnt up smoking

i really really wanted to not deal with another possible failure, so i decided on the high end spectrum of ryobi... but then for a few dollars more i could get the 40v version. which makes no sense cuz then i wouldn't be doing what i wanted (using the ryobi one+ batteries) i'd be buying into a new battery system, but again ryobi.

i checked out all the other guys 40v string trimmer offerings and if it made sense to go w/ ego or dewalt, and not really, also all of them have a 40v line that has attachments (this ryobi does too), basically remove the head and attach an edger or a tiller or a chainsaw.

so i guess i'm doing more ryobi again.