Home Improvement

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
For the 25 years I lived in New England, no one did a single thing about grass before the winter and every year, the grass was happy and healthy each spring. You don't need to do anything because that's the natural cycle of the environment. If you were in Nevada it would be different because grass isn't native there.
This is pretty true. I find my grass comes in really healthy in the spring and then of course I am lazy and it gets fucked up all summer.

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
you might still have time to put down some nitrogen rich fertilizer for root growth, but i learned the number one thing to do is not get lazy with leaves and get that shit blown, mulched or vac'd cuz 3 leaves could fuck up a patch of grass
Not to be that guy, but late October is almost certainly not when you’d want to throw down heavy nitrogen. Nitrogen is for top growth. As your turf prepares for dormancy, you want it focused on growing down, not up. Phosphorus is for root growth. The “best” way to introduce phos is to mow consistently and don’t bag your clippings, but supplementing is a good idea if a soil test says you’re low. Conventional wisdom says that if you have a lot of fungus/mushrooms in your lawn, you have plenty of phos and shouldn’t add more.

Edit: timing varies by zone, but pre emergent and heavy nitrogen goes down in the spring once you’re approaching the last day you could experience a frost. You don’t seed in spring because there’s no way to get your turf seed to grow without also feeding weed seeds.

All of these tips are assuming you’re not in the transition zone (Brahma probably isn’t), and your turf is cool season and not warm season like Bermuda, centipede, zoysia, etc.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Not to be that guy, but late October is almost certainly not when you’d want to throw down heavy nitrogen. Nitrogen is for top growth. As your turf prepares for dormancy, you want it focused on growing down, not up. Phosphorus is for root growth. The “best” way to introduce phos is to mow consistently and don’t bag your clippings, but supplementing is a good idea if a soil test says you’re low. Conventional wisdom says that if you have a lot of fungus/mushrooms in your lawn, you have plenty of phos and shouldn’t add more.

Edit: timing varies by zone, but pre emergent and heavy nitrogen goes down in the spring once you’re approaching the last day you could experience a frost. You don’t seed in spring because there’s no way to get your turf seed to grow without also feeding weed seeds.

All of these tips are assuming you’re not in the transition zone (Brahma probably isn’t), and your turf is cool season and not warm season like Bermuda, centipede, zoysia, etc.
oh did i get my numbers mixed up? is it the second number is phosphorus?

10-20-30

so it'd be 20 we worry about for fall and 10 for spring?

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>

10-20-30

Technically, yes. I strongly recommend performing a soil test before throwing down anything but nitrogen. My lawn in NC was off the charts high in phosphorous but off the charts low in potassium. Nitrogen is very mobile and doesn’t stay in soil very long. You can easily damage turf with too much synthetic N but it’s almost impossible to damage turf with organic sources of N.

For cool season turf grasses the standard recommendation is 4lbs per 1,000 sq ft per year. Typical growth season is Mar-May and late Aug-Oct. You’ll be mowing your ass off throwing down that much N per year, but if you’ve got a patchy lawn and lots of weeds, you can choke them out and build up your soil health in just a couple seasons by pushing growth like that.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
This is the season for shredding the corpses you've built up over the previous year in your freeezers, and sowing the mulched flesh in your yard at night.

Especially when you get to Halloween, you can do it while decorating.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Do we have a furniture / woodworking thread? I have a question.

We need a woodworking thread....

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
Don’t think so. We get the odd woodworking question here but usually more like carpentry.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
We need a woodworking thread....

ba2ece380d5875cd79e152d4999da457.gif

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Shower head just pulled away from the tile wall in one of our bathrooms. I don't know WTF is going on here, but it's not attached to the wall in any fashion inside. As far as I can see, it's literally just the pipe standing up in the wall and some bullshit silicone used to secure the ring to the tile. Who does that?

I can't get the other side of the wall opened up to add blocking because it's an exterior wall with brick. Do I just half-ass it like the prior owners?

20200928_221416.jpg

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
Who does that?

Do I just half-ass it like the prior owners?
I believe you answered your own question lol

Hopefully someone can offer some good advice. That looks like a good/permanent solution is going to be painful no matter what direction you choose to go.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Shower head just pulled away from the tile wall in one of our bathrooms. I don't know WTF is going on here, but it's not attached to the wall in any fashion inside. As far as I can see, it's literally just the pipe standing up in the wall and some bullshit silicone used to secure the ring to the tile. Who does that?

I can't get the other side of the wall opened up to add blocking because it's an exterior wall with brick. Do I just half-ass it like the prior owners?

View attachment 313630

I don't really think that's all that unusual. The female fitting that your shower arm threads into (the pipe that goes through the wall) should be screwed to something, but if it's not accessible then some caulk might be your best option. It won't last forever but it might be preferable to tearing your wall apart.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Last piece of the kitchen remodel finished today and the gas meter was installed and turned on! First time gas cooking! Very excited to have this all done.

20201030_122437.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>

10-20-30

I stand corrected. Apparently fertilizing just prior to winter is a thing. I just got this mailer from GCI Turf yesterday:

1604148998415.png

• 1Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

View attachment 313630
This is what you are missing. I have installed a couple of them when I replaced out tubs/shower stalls. They come standard with most new Shower Head/Faucet packages. Unless you are willing to take that piece of tile off, you are going to have to put it back and caulk around it, because a bracket like this needs to be screwed into a stud/back mount to give it any stability.

DP18-174556_NPC_HT_Install_A_RainShowerHead_SCI_1_3_2

62ef8b2dba199db2549d2dbaf44562a8.jpg

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is what you are missing. I have installed a couple of them when I replaced out tubs/shower stalls. They come standard with most new Shower Head/Faucet packages. Unless you are willing to take that piece of tile off, you are going to have to put it back and caulk around it, because a bracket like this needs to be screwed into a stud/back mount to give it any stability.

DP18-174556_NPC_HT_Install_A_RainShowerHead_SCI_1_3_2

62ef8b2dba199db2549d2dbaf44562a8.jpg

Appreciate it, but those aren't really options unless I tear the tile out, which I'm not keen on doing at the moment. I haven't looked real hard behind the tile, but I'm hoping there is at least something I can use to secure the pipe to the wall, like a metal strap and a couple of screws.

C52410.jpg

Gator

Molten Core Raider
If you have enough room to work with, that should work for a quick fix that no one will see. Or just use a pipe clamp

Screenshot_20201104-110303.png

• 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
this piece of shit from last year ripped right at the hose
928cadddb84cce7f55183a88c25b09fa.png

now i gotta blow all the leaves into my backyard for now

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
this piece of shit from last year ripped right at the hose
928cadddb84cce7f55183a88c25b09fa.png

now i gotta blow all the leaves into my backyard for now
Flex seal tape might allow it to work well enough if you can’t find a local replacement for the hose