Home Improvement

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Late to the lawn conversation but the company I use did it’s last treatment of the season on my lawn last week and this is the note they left me.
Spoilered for size.

DF4C8844-BB70-40A7-855B-5D35BABF4F21.jpeg

DDAB437D-20A5-4D9C-B38B-2C2DE3D31AEF.jpeg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Shower head just pulled away from the tile wall in one of our bathrooms. I don't know WTF is going on here, but it's not attached to the wall in any fashion inside. As far as I can see, it's literally just the pipe standing up in the wall and some bullshit silicone used to secure the ring to the tile. Who does that?

I can't get the other side of the wall opened up to add blocking because it's an exterior wall with brick. Do I just half-ass it like the prior owners?

View attachment 313630

OK, first question is do you have an idea/know where the studs in the wall behind that are? That might inform some options.

Second how large is that stone tile that it's mounted in? Unfortunately almost any real solution will involve removing it and the question is if you can do so without breaking it (depending on the adhesive/mortar used to put it up). If you can't remove without destroying I would suggest pulling it out, fixing things up good and proper, then when you replace it, if you can't find matching stone tile (which will be difficult), replace it with a fancy tile arrangement, something with some art/style to it as an "accent" in the shower to distract from the fact that it's not the same stone tile.

Redneck halfassery approach? Get some really strong expanding foam sealant, spray a LOT of it into that space behind the tile and cementboard. Then hold the pipe in place while the foam expands and set to hold it more seady. Then a lot of silicone caulking around the hole to seal it.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
OK, first question is do you have an idea/know where the studs in the wall behind that are? That might inform some options.

Second how large is that stone tile that it's mounted in? Unfortunately almost any real solution will involve removing it and the question is if you can do so without breaking it (depending on the adhesive/mortar used to put it up). If you can't remove without destroying I would suggest pulling it out, fixing things up good and proper, then when you replace it, if you can't find matching stone tile (which will be difficult), replace it with a fancy tile arrangement, something with some art/style to it as an "accent" in the shower to distract from the fact that it's not the same stone tile.

Redneck halfassery approach? Get some really strong expanding foam sealant, spray a LOT of it into that space behind the tile and cementboard. Then hold the pipe in place while the foam expands and set to hold it more seady. Then a lot of silicone caulking around the hole to seal it.

Closest stud is about 5.5 or 6 inches away. Doesn't appear that any cross bracing was put in between the studs to hold the pipe. But, I can't see a lot through the 1.5 inch hole.

Tile is 12 by 12 and I have a few dozen more sitting in the garage, left over from the previous owner. So, no problem if I have to tear it out and replace it. I'd just prefer not to unless that becomes the only option.

I've seen a YT video about using expanding foam. That gave me a good laugh. Depending on my mood I may go that route though. In the grand scheme of things this isn't high up on the priority list, but its an annoyance because of how poorly it was done.

I appreciate the ideas. I'll discuss with the Missus.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Closest stud is about 5.5 or 6 inches away. Doesn't appear that any cross bracing was put in between the studs to hold the pipe. But, I can't see a lot through the 1.5 inch hole.

Tile is 12 by 12 and I have a few dozen more sitting in the garage, left over from the previous owner. So, no problem if I have to tear it out and replace it. I'd just prefer not to unless that becomes the only option.

I've seen a YT video about using expanding foam. That gave me a good laugh. Depending on my mood I may go that route though. In the grand scheme of things this isn't high up on the priority list, but its an annoyance because of how poorly it was done.

I appreciate the ideas. I'll discuss with the Missus.

If you really have a nice cache of the same tile I will tell you what I bet you already know the right answer it... Rip, Brace, fix, retile. ;)

You're talking to the guy who just discovered rotting beams under his mom's bathroom in a 60 year old house and spent all day buttressing up the beams to put a new subfloor and remount a toilet. ;)

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's back...I relocated it significantly farther away this time.

possum2.jpg

• 1Worf

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I have a bathroom closet that needs a 15" or 16" door. The one I took out was a pre-hung door that matched all the other door in the house (shitty hollow core doors which is why I replaced them). I'm replacing all the doors with clear pine solid doors from Home Depot which I am staining myself and since I took a 16 inch one out I figured I would be able to buy one to replace it but I haven't found anything under 18". Anyone know a place to get doors like that aside from Home Depot and Lowes? I am going to ask the local lumberyard as well but I'm wondering if it's something that's even available.

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
We closed on our house a month ago and finally got out of our apartment. So many things I want to accomplish but damn is this shit expensive! Outside of all the interior things the wife wants to accomplish, I want to put a concrete slab patio outside of our screened in porch and put a fence around the backyard because we have a retention pond at the end of the property but to hire someone to do both will likely run me $6k. Props to ya'll who've been getting it done.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
We closed on our house a month ago and finally got out of our apartment. So many things I want to accomplish but damn is this shit expensive! Outside of all the interior things the wife wants to accomplish, I want to put a concrete slab patio outside of our screened in porch and put a fence around the backyard because we have a retention pond at the end of the property but to hire someone to do both will likely run me $6k. Props to ya'll who've been getting it done.
a few of us like this guys channel, no nonesense good stuff, this one is about pouring a concrete slab

• 1Solidarity

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Pouring concrete isn't rocket science, but it's not trivial either and fairly high consequence if you fuck it up and wind up having to jackhammer it out of there. That said, a small pad is definitely doable for a DIYer, especially if you are okay with things not being completely perfect. The thing with concrete is time is of the essence. Once you pour that shit there's a short period of time that you have to work with it and whatever you do the first time is what it's going to be.

Fences are easy. Anyone can build a fence, just take the time to make sure things are straight and square and it's no problem. It's also something you can work on a little at at time unlike concrete.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Is that laminate or hardwood? Looks good. Put some shit on your wall though, looks like a prison library room.

Improvement!!

Also I got a whiteboard sticker on the left that you can't see.

Attachments

• PXL_20201128_092743565.jpg
    PXL_20201128_092743565.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 23

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Anybody have any experience dealing with Woodpeckers? I'm at fucking wit's end here.

After spending almost 2K in repairs over the last three years repairing damage to my cedar siding caused by woodpeckers, I went ahead and replaced the siding on my house with fiber cement at the cost of 30K, and chose it specifically because everything I researched said woodpeckers wouldn't fuck with fiber cement. I didn't change it specifically because of woodpecker damage, but primarily because the fuckwad builder had used finishing nails to install the cedar siding, hence it started to warp and pop to shit after a few years, but the woodpeckers were certainly incentive. Well, not 24hrs had passed since the new siding had been installed and painted when I heard the dreaded knocking on my walls at 7am. These little fuckers can do a lot of damage in a short period of time.

Over the years I've tried:
- Silver discs and streamers hanging from the windows. Butt ugly and stopped working after a week or two.
- Helium filled reflective balloons "trapped" under my roofline where they love to attack. Also ugly, required daily balloon prep, and had limited effectiveness after a month or so.
- Fake Owl. Totally ineffective after a day or two.
- Bird-X Woodpecker repeller. This actually worked after I had the right "predator" dialed in, but the various fake predator noises it made would drive the neighbors' dogs *crazy* and elicited complaints.

Only things I haven't tried:
- A pellet gun. It's supposedly a federal crime to shoot woodpeckers, but I'm desperate here, and would only really be effective if these woodpeckers are the same crew of assholes.
-Installing an Owl box on the tree outside and hope it attracts a real owl. I'm just not sure whether the owls here in Dallas are a threat to woodpeckers, or if they are even really relevant during the early morning, which is when the Woodpeckers attack.

Totally fucking nuts that I'm being pownd by fucking woodpeckers.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Kill them.

Yes, I read everything you wrote.

Kill them.

**It's worth mentioning: almost all birds are federally protected. If you can catch them in the act, hit them with a hose or pressure washer. It will take a bunch of sprays, but they will move on.

• 1Solidarity

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Man I hear you. Much of my house is covered in cedar siding as well, and I'm bummed to hear that cement board doesn't stop them. I'm actually thinking about composite siding.

I don't have much of a problem with woodpeckers. I think that is because I'm in a very wooded area, with several fairly sizable dead trees still standing fairly near the house (not so near as to be unsightly or dangerous), but they seem to attract the woodpeckers, and they leave the house alone. Maybe get some old logs? ha.

Anyone ever try one of these?

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Buy an outdoor projector, pick the worst thread here and put that on the side of your house.

Guaranteed to make those fucking woodpeckers move

1606608648142.png

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users