Home Improvement

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
painting some doors i just got basic white paint in a 5 gal bucket.

absolutely no idea what to do, i bought some spout to put it in soon, i found this video helpful on how to pout out from a bucket (even tho it's mapel syrup)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Aaaand I had a leak. Three layers of ceiling. May have been leaking for how long before it got thru that last layer to be noticed. Remediation company has my house looking like alien autopsy's' are going on. To top it off I have some knob and tube remaining that got wet.

You know what's great? Almost all my neighbors offered to put my family up until this gets completed. I explained to them it would be a week or more according to the Remediation guys.

Celing Hole.jpg
Mold.jpg

• 2Like
  • 2Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Aaaand I had a leak. Three layers of ceiling. May have been leaking for how long before it got thru that last layer to be noticed. Remediation company has my house looking like alien autopsy's' are going on. To top it off I have some knob and tube remaining that got wet.

You know what's great? Almost all my neighbors offered to put my family up until this gets completed. I explained to them it would be a week or more according to the Remediation guys.

View attachment 330202View attachment 330203
that last pic of black death is at least months of sitting water/damp

find a reason for the leak?

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
that last pic of black death is at least months of sitting water/damp

find a reason for the leak?

Yeah. The drain pipe in the bathtub that connects to the trap. The seal was just not there. Plumber says it just wore out after decades. And you're correct. The remediation company says it has been leaking for quite awhile. The multiple layers of ceiling just was soaking up the water, until it reached the last layer and I noticed it.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
This thread gives me anxiety. Some times I wonder if would be better to stay a renter, financial reasons for buying a house be damned.

Somewhat on topic. Let's say you find a discolored spot like Brahma posted. Size, color, location, doesn't matter. Is there a way to tell if it's just a stain and the mold is dead, or if it's actively growing WITHOUT waiting for it visibly and actively grow?

I have a spot on the underside of my roof that I can't get close to since the attic is unfinished. I only noticed it because I'm a nosey bastard and I was placing poison up there for mice. The ceiling under it shows no problems. Roof is ~20 years old, figured I would get this replaced in about 10 years when the roof needs to be, but see aforementioned anxiety.

The spot to the left, visually, of the big metal tube(no idea what that is) is what I'm concerned about. Not the big beige streak, I think that's blown cellulose. But the darker spot with white spots in it. There's a bathroom underneath it. The ceiling fan vents out the top and through a tube(that you can't see) and then out the roof overhang(eaves?). I have an earlier picture of it, but I can't rule out that it was a different phone, different lighting, etc.

I wouldn't mind an opinion on the spots near the tube going through the roof too. But I'm relatively certain that's not active growth.

June 2016, Nexus 5 camera.
IMG_20160605_121920.jpg

June 2020, Note S8+ camera.
20200601_193102.jpg

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>

plaster and lathe
knob and tube
black mold

giphy.gif

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>

This is years old.

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
This thread gives me anxiety. Some times I wonder if would be better to stay a renter, financial reasons for buying a house be damned.

Somewhat on topic. Let's say you find a discolored spot like Brahma posted. Size, color, location, doesn't matter. Is there a way to tell if it's just a stain and the mold is dead, or if it's actively growing WITHOUT waiting for it visibly and actively grow?

I have a spot on the underside of my roof that I can't get close to since the attic is unfinished. I only noticed it because I'm a nosey bastard and I was placing poison up there for mice. The ceiling under it shows no problems. Roof is ~20 years old, figured I would get this replaced in about 10 years when the roof needs to be, but see aforementioned anxiety.

The spot to the left, visually, of the big metal tube(no idea what that is) is what I'm concerned about. Not the big beige streak, I think that's blown cellulose. But the darker spot with white spots in it. There's a bathroom underneath it. The ceiling fan vents out the top and through a tube(that you can't see) and then out the roof overhang(eaves?). I have an earlier picture of it, but I can't rule out that it was a different phone, different lighting, etc.

I wouldn't mind an opinion on the spots near the tube going through the roof too. But I'm relatively certain that's not active growth.

June 2016, Nexus 5 camera.
View attachment 330268

June 2020, Note S8+ camera.
View attachment 330267
Water is leaking in from the roof, snow/ice/rain into the house. You need to replace the rubber that goes around that metal pipe and connects to the roof. Seems steep so just hire someone to do it. New rubber flange and a bunch of adhesive.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Water is leaking in from the roof, snow/ice/rain into the house. You need to replace the rubber that goes around that metal pipe and connects to the roof. Seems steep so just hire someone to do it. New rubber flange and a bunch of adhesive.
Hmmm, I didn't notice any progression around the pipe. But either way, guess I should have someone take a look at the roof. If that flange is leaking as you suggest, can it be causing the spot I originally pointed out? Seems odd for water to travel that far without damage in between.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Hmmm, I didn't notice any progression around the pipe. But either way, guess I should have someone take a look at the roof. If that flange is leaking as you suggest, can it be causing the spot I originally pointed out? Seems odd for water to travel that far without damage in between.
I had a flange leak around my roof pipe several years ago. It sounded like the water was dripping several feet away from where the actual leak was because the water was traveling along the diagonal bracing boards until the flow got interrupted and was forced to drip straight down.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I had a flange leak around my roof pipe several years ago. It sounded like the water was dripping several feet away from where the actual leak was because the water was traveling along the diagonal bracing boards until the flow got interrupted and was forced to drip straight down.
While we're on the topic, what IS that pipe for? It's not a vent pipe for my tub. At least, I don't think it is, I know where that is and it's much smaller. The chimney is not in use and on the other side of the house.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
They got my living room all cleared out...Plumber replaced all the copper leading up to the tub,

1611278212166.png

1611278317029.png

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
While we're on the topic, what IS that pipe for? It's not a vent pipe for my tub. At least, I don't think it is, I know where that is and it's much smaller. The chimney is not in use and on the other side of the house.
Hard to say based on the size. You can't tell where it's coming from? My wild guess would be from the crawlspace to allow radon to vent outside the living area.