Home Improvement

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
how's your insurer treating you through the process?

I have Mapfre. They didn't spring for the plumber. But I am told that's normal. The second I told them there was water damage, and I saw mold, they sent the remediation team. They are VERY responsive, and have walked me thru the process. So far so good.

The appraiser will be here tomorrow morning. That will be the tell tale sign I guess. How this guy does on the write up and what he comes back for covered damages.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My girlfriend lives in a 100+ year old house with 3" copper drain pipes. I think they are awesome. Like a lot of things you see in old houses, no one would take the time and expense to do that now. Same with wood work. Everyone would like to have hand made solid wood everywhere and wainscoting and whatnot but it's hard to justify when you can just go to home Depot and get cookie cutter particle board shit from china that's way less expensive and takes very little time or skill to install.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Plumbing vents would be PVC white pipes (depending on area) for bathrooms, the main stack, kitchen. Those metal ones are for heat. Where is your furnace/water heater/whatever.
i see the metal vent pipes for the bathroom fan, whatever thats called

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Plumbing vents would be PVC white pipes (depending on area) for bathrooms, the main stack, kitchen. Those metal ones are for heat. Where is your furnace/water heater/whatever.
Heater was replaced about 15 years ago with a tankless. It's about in the same vertical location, 2 floors down. I don't see how it's connected to that though.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Heater was replaced about 15 years ago with a tankless. It's about in the same vertical location, 2 floors down. I don't see how it's connected to that though.
Tankless using natural gas? Anything with open flame will be venting though that pipe seems really big for a tankless heater.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Tankless using natural gas? Anything with open flame will be venting though that pipe seems really big for a tankless heater.
Yeah, I know where the tankless is venting. There's some PVC running from it to the outside wall, all in the same room. My guess is that pipe was leftover from the previous heater?

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I know where the tankless is venting. There's some PVC running from it to the outside wall, all in the same room. My guess is that pipe was leftover from the previous heater?
Probably. It’s much simpler to leave the vent than patch the penetration. I don’t know how often you can expect to need to replace the flange on a useless vent, but I suspect it’s not often enough to make it worth removing and patching.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Got a quote to run a propane line for a gas stove that I already bought at my house. $1600 to run a line ~50 feet in a basement with a drop ceiling. $400 in material and $1200 in labor. That includes an hour of driving to get here and another one to get back but I'm still sort of shocked at that price. I don't really see how the job takes more than an hour or so but maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

Anybody think this is out of line?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I only got charged a couple hundred to run a line from one side of my house to the other. It was all outdoors but they had to go under an existing double wide sidewalk. It was part of a larger install but they were done with that part in like 45 minutes.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Got a quote to run a propane line for a gas stove that I already bought at my house. $1600 to run a line ~50 feet in a basement with a drop ceiling. $400 in material and $1200 in labor. That includes an hour of driving to get here and another one to get back but I'm still sort of shocked at that price. I don't really see how the job takes more than an hour or so but maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

I think the remote nature of your property is screwing you here. Get another quote, though. That seems crazy high. I'd counter bid, offer them $800 cash. Or buy the material yourself, it won't be anywhere near $400. You could also run the line all yourself so all they have to do is make the connections, thus cutting out 99% of their time.

That seems stupid high to me.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>

Could be a situation where they’re telling you they don’t want to do it by bidding it sky high.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I think the remote nature of your property is screwing you here. Get another quote, though. That seems crazy high. I'd counter bid, offer them $800 cash. Or buy the material yourself, it won't be anywhere near $400. You could also run the line all yourself so all they have to do is make the connections, thus cutting out 99% of their time.

That seems stupid high to me.
It does to me too. They replaced the furnace in my old house like a year ago (2 miles down the road) and the labor was only $2k. It's a drop ceiling with the tiles already taken out of it so running the line seems like it should take about 7 minutes to me but maybe there's something I don't know. Going to have to call around a bit in the morning.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
It does to me too. They replaced the furnace in my old house like a year ago (2 miles down the road) and the labor was only $2k. It's a drop ceiling with the tiles already taken out of it so running the line seems like it should take about 7 minutes to me but maybe there's something I don't know. Going to have to call around a bit in the morning.
Why don’t you just do this yourself?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Why don’t you just do this yourself?

A good question.

Yeah, I think they're high bidding you because they don't want to come. Call around for sure. Look for side job guys who work in the industry. They're remarkably easy to find on craigslist and the like.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Also a really easy home improvement I did so I’m adding to the convo.

Added a whole house filter and water softener. First time working with PEX and man it was so easy it was actually fun. I put it off for so long cause plumbing has always sucked but this was so simple and fast I kinda wanted more project to do with it. It was like running pneumatic lines with SMC fittings, fun.

24D753D4-8E0A-4F02-9795-8A810EF233A2.jpeg

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I'm afraid of burning my house down. Maybe this is unfounded fear but I've never fucked with gas lines before.

I know the same fear, but I've done plenty of gas at this point. Keep in mind that it's easier than plumbing, the pressure is super low, and it's easy to check your joints. A pipefitter who helped me with early stuff ran the line, turned it all on, then held a lighter at all joints. It isn't going to go into the pipe, the worst you'll see is a small flare, or some evidence that there's a small leak. Plus, leave it on for a few hours without running your furnace, toaster, or stove and you'll smell if there's an issue.

Another option is to find a guy who does it, run it yourself, then have that guy come out and check it, pay him 100$ for peace of mind.

But I understand the reluctance. You can still do better than your original price.