Home Improvement

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, this guy is a perfectionist and I'm not. Probably the more likely scenario is that he'll be trying to make it perfect and I'll be trying to speed him up.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Yeah, this guy is a perfectionist and I'm not. Probably the more likely scenario is that he'll be trying to make it perfect and I'll be trying to speed him up.
maybe it's good to be a perfectionist when dealing w/ water on 100psi

i'm sure you've shown him this

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
Hateyou Hateyou just checking up on this thread. Water filters for the whole house are nice, your installation looks like dogshit, but whatever your house. Quick question, how are you gonna change the filter every 6 months?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Hateyou Hateyou just checking up on this thread. Water filters for the whole house are nice, your installation looks like dogshit, but whatever your house. Quick question, how are you gonna change the filter every 6 months?
It’s temporary install because it’s unfinished basement atm, don’t care what it looks like.

The shutoff valve above the filter.

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
Yes that valve stops the supply from the street to the filter. How are you going to stop all the water already in your house from pouring on your floor when you remove the container?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
Also, the flexible houses are a disaster in this situation. The constant wear and tear as water starts and stops will wear them out, eventually they’ll leak and ruin your basement. That should be hard piped with a union. Those hoses should only be used on appliances where you turn off the water after use, like a washing machine.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Also, the flexible houses are a disaster in this situation. The constant wear and tear as water starts and stops will wear them out, eventually they’ll leak and ruin your basement. That should be hard piped with a union. Those hoses should only be used on appliances where you turn off the water after use, like a washing machine.
Cool thanks. I’ll redo those when we finish.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Uber thinks you should have paid a plumber $1800 to put that in. You do need a valve on the other side of your filter though.

My well pumps a ton of sand and would clog up the filter in a month so I swapped out my whole house filter for this one:

filter.jpg

I love it. I just go down there every couple of days and turn the valve for a second to blow the sand out and then if my shower starts to lose pressure I take the mesh element out and rinse it off and it's good as new. Only 50 micron but I have $5000 worth of water treatment bullshit on the output of it to get rid of the small stuff.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Uber thinks you should have paid a plumber $1800 to put that in. You do need a valve on the other side of your filter though.

My well pumps a ton of sand and would clog up the filter in a month so I swapped out my whole house filter for this one:

View attachment 332918

I love it. I just go down there every couple of days and turn the valve for a second to blow the sand out and then if my shower starts to lose pressure I take the mesh element out and rinse it off and it's good as new. Only 50 micron but I have $5000 worth of water treatment bullshit on the output of it to get rid of the small stuff.
Why do I need a valve on the other side? The valve is before the input of the water filter. I thought I just needed one before the input for when I need to kill the flow to change the filter. The filter is before the water softener I just had to route it weird over the top like that because of where the softener is sitting on the left.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
When you take the filter off all the water in your pipes in the house will drain back out of the filter.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
When you take the filter off all the water in your pipes in the house will drain back out of the filter.
Oh ok. Yeah there’s a valve after the softener to stop that. I could always add one closer though, it wasn’t expensive. The only real issue I had was finding the right fittings. Our Lowe’s is small and the selection sucked. That was what made me grab those flexible hoses on the softener, they just didn’t have another option.

• 1Like

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
People can pay whatever they want. I just give sound plumbing advice. That installation is dogshit, I just wanted to point that out in case anyone here was going to replicate it. He also doesn’t have a bypass. If the filter interior or case gets damaged he is without water. It’s just a very poor installation.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
People can pay whatever they want. I just give sound plumbing advice. That installation is dogshit, I just wanted to point that out in case anyone here was going to replicate it. He also doesn’t have a bypass. If the filter interior or case gets damaged he is without water. It’s just a very poor installation.
Brutal!

I’ll be adding a bypass. This was just a get it fucking done so wife stops bitching at me deal. When we had the whole house humidifier installed for some reason she started harping on the softener like it was a dire situation every single day, after four years of not having one. I don’t know if she thinks having hard water would destroy the humidifier or what. I just got tired of it and slapped it all in. Her and the kid are going out of town next weekend so I’ll have time to myself to rework the stuff I’m not happy with.

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
Brutal!

I’ll be adding a bypass. This was just a get it fucking done so wife stops bitching at me deal. When we had the whole house humidifier installed for some reason she started harping on the softener like it was a dire situation every single day, after four years of not having one. I don’t know if she thinks having hard water would destroy the humidifier or what. I just got tired of it and slapped it all in. Her and the kid are going out of town next weekend so I’ll have time to myself to rework the stuff I’m not happy with.
This entire post is so relatable lmao

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
This entire post is so relatable lmao
I understand when they want to get a project done, what I don’t understand is the time table swings. It goes from no problem or even a mention for months to years to out of nowhere “this needs to get done like this weekend or after work every day.” Nothing changed, Wtf? No idea what triggers that shit.

• 1Solidarity

Thaloc

Molten Core Raider
Got a quote to run a propane line for a gas stove that I already bought at my house. $1600 to run a line ~50 feet in a basement with a drop ceiling. $400 in material and $1200 in labor. That includes an hour of driving to get here and another one to get back but I'm still sort of shocked at that price. I don't really see how the job takes more than an hour or so but maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

Anybody think this is out of line?
It depends. What type of line are they running? copper or trac pipe are pretty easy to install and save a bunch on labor over black iron pipe. If your basement is a dump and theres stuff they need to move or access is poor, that adds to the cost as well. It's also possible they dont want the job and bid it sky high. Most good hvac contractors are more than busy year round, and are not interested in small jobs like this because theres more money to be made elsewhere.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
It depends. What type of line are they running? copper or trac pipe are pretty easy to install and save a bunch on labor over black iron pipe. If your basement is a dump and theres stuff they need to move or access is poor, that adds to the cost as well. It's also possible they dont want the job and bid it sky high. Most good hvac contractors are more than busy year round, and are not interested in small jobs like this because theres more money to be made elsewhere.
His brother in law is doing it for him for a case of Miller Lite and some nachos.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>

I'm guessing they were being conservative about the bid because they couldn't come look at it and didn't know what they would run into. They also wanted to send two guys so there's 4 hours of whatever they bill their guys out at before they even start the job. I think there's a good chance that the actual bill would have been lower because this job is going to be a piece of cake but he didn't know that. They aren't scammers, they have been in business with the same people for decades and it's a small town. They've done quite a few jobs for us in the past and they aren't cheap but they are honest and do good work. The quote blew my mind though. We'll see if I underestimated the job but I'm guessing the brother and law and I can knock it out in under an hour and maybe $200 in material.

• 1Like