Home Improvement

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
i had to get this big boy cuz i was replacing the drain spigot in my water tank
fa6a15366d4b67e7553bea7b58dad7df.png

and obviously that spigot felt like it was soldered on. the regular channel locks i had didn't work, cuz i didn't have the leverage and i had to hulk grip it to work.
I've got a cut off length of top rail from a chain link fence. There aren't too many nuts I can't bust with that thing!

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I once jumped up and down on the end of a 6 foot cheater trying to get a lug nut loose on a truck until I actually sheared off a ¾" extension. Didn't budge the nut either. Had to go get the acetylene torch after that.

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
I once jumped up and down on the end of a 6 foot cheater trying to get a lug nut loose on a truck until I actually sheared off a ¾" extension. Didn't budge the nut either. Had to go get the acetylene torch after that.
I’ve sheered a couple extensions myself. Thought I learned the first time. Seems to have taken since the second time as I haven’t done it a third.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
i sheered off 2 ratchets changing my timing belt w/ this crank pully (like the square knob just came right off)
306a9593432d6aef43df4f250a79413e.png

it didn't even do anything, the purpose of it was to hold the crank in place

Fucker

Log Wizard
That's true. It's been a race to the bottom for all the power tools at least. You can still buy really nice hand tools from Germany and Japan if you're willing to pay for them but power tools are increasingly all crap with a few exceptions of really outrageously priced stuff like Festool.

I knew a guy who found a bunch of old but nearly new Makita stuff at a garage sale. Really high quality stuff. Being both lazy and stupid, he left them out overnight and it rained. Then he put them away without cleaning them. Totally ruined, and he never completed what he was working on. Makita makes decent stuff, but nothing like the old stuff.

• 1WTF
  • 1RAGE
Reactions: 1 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Oblig:

FPvwxoY.jpg

• 5Worf
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 5 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
i've only been in my garage a few years, but my worse experience is still the time when i couldn't get the nut off my differential drain plug.

it's a fucking t70 torx
117947effa7d1a9e3.jpg

it's fucking dumb, b/c all previous subarus, the drain plug was square and you just had to use a 3/8ths ratchet, and the previous garage that changed the diff must used a fucking impact on it.

so dumb head/ over tightened and most likely siezed.

i have all the different brands of penetrating oil, i tried weird ass concoctions like using atf and candle wax and whatever.

i finally broke down and got a drillout kit (i didn't want to drill it out, metal shavings etc), even then it wouldn't "grip" (along w/ always applying heat every time)

my last 3 options were to:

weld on a new nut
chisel it out
puss out and bring it in to subaru

chisel finally did it in the end.

i hate torx so fucking much, when redoing my deck i went with a square drive
b99a7050dfc3c7e4a121f5047ecf4a62.png

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Anyone with any pool experience?

We had the mother of all winter storms roll through last week, and the cold shorted my pump (the night it plunged to -18). Long story short, all of my pool equipment is completely shot (the pressure on my filter was so high, it burst the top of the filter into two pieces).

I'm just replacing all of the above ground pvc, equipment (pump, filter, booster pump, heater and chlorinator), and I guess going from there. When I do that, I assume if the pvc buried in the ground was burst, my pump would never fully pressurize? In other words, how will I know I'm fecked underground other than just my lawn caving in?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone with any pool experience?

We had the mother of all winter storms roll through last week, and the cold shorted my pump (the night it plunged to -18). Long story short, all of my pool equipment is completely shot (the pressure on my filter was so high, it burst the top of the filter into two pieces).

I'm just replacing all of the above ground pvc, equipment (pump, filter, booster pump, heater and chlorinator), and I guess going from there. When I do that, I assume if the pvc buried in the ground was burst, my pump would never fully pressurize? In other words, how will I know I'm fecked underground other than just my lawn caving in?
I have pool experience but never burst pipes. I’m cold weather state so we drain all the lines before winter and don’t fill them back up til summer.

Anyways, yeah if your below ground pipes burst you won’t be able to pressurize with your pump. You may be lucky and it didn’t happen because it’s all underground and you don’t really have frost lines like we do. It takes a while for the ground to fully freeze.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
What he said^ A burst of cold weather, even as extreme as you experienced, doesn’t have a huge impact on ground temps.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
IMG_7185.jpg

Does anyone know about air conditioners? This is a house on stilts. This is a little concrete covering that is over a small air compressor, and the air compressor seems to be tied into the AC drain pipe (the little 1" PVP pipe). What the fuck does this do, and is it necessary? I've never seen an AC have a little air compressor on the drain pipe before. I'd love to just unplug it.

I ask because it vibrates literally the whole house. Its one of those low frequency things so you can always feel it. Makes me feel miserable.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>

These are still one of my favorite tools ever.

I don't think they ever caught on very well because when new, they are expensive AF

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
View attachment 343223

Does anyone know about air conditioners? This is a house on stilts. This is a little concrete covering that is over a small air compressor, and the air compressor seems to be tied into the AC drain pipe (the little 1" PVP pipe). What the fuck does this do, and is it necessary? I've never seen an AC have a little air compressor on the drain pipe before. I'd love to just unplug it.

I ask because it vibrates literally the whole house. Its one of those low frequency things so you can always feel it. Makes me feel miserable.
Why don’t you try putting rubber / high density foam padding under the compressor to see if that enough vibration it isn’t as noticeable? Look for the kind you buy for under your washing machines feet that are designed to do that. You may need to put some under the concrete pad too if it raises the compressor too high.

I’ve never seen a compressor outside of an AC like that, they’re usually in the main body. If that’s the main compressor then no you can’t just remove it, that’s how ACs function. If that’s some weird add on then maybe you can.

How old is the hvac system? If it’s like 15+ you could always just say fuck it and replace it all before it fails, since it’s getting close anyways. If it’s that old you’d gain a lot of efficiency most likely as well.

• 1Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Why don’t you try putting rubber / high density foam padding under the compressor to see if that enough vibration it isn’t as noticeable? Look for the kind you buy for under your washing machines feet that are designed to do that. You may need to put some under the concrete pad too if it raises the compressor too high.

I’ve never seen a compressor outside of an AC like that, they’re usually in the main body. If that’s the main compressor then no you can’t just remove it, that’s how ACs function. If that’s some weird add on then maybe you can.

How old is the hvac system? If it’s like 15+ you could always just say fuck it and replace it all before it fails, since it’s getting close anyways. If it’s that old you’d gain a lot of efficiency most likely as well.

Thank you. I Just ordered some vibration resistant rubber like you recommended and will try mounting the pump on there. There are two metal straps that criss cross over the pump that I was going to mount the strap on top of the rubber too (so like nail going through strap, through the rubber, then into the wooden platform its on)

I don't know if the picture is a little misleading. That thick gray line from the AC unit goes into the house. The only thing the pump has is a plug into an outlet, and then it hooks into what looks like a 1" PVC drain pipe. The AC system / house is brand new, built within 1 year. The house is like 18 feet off the ground on stilts, and it's right on the coast. Does either of those have anything to do with AC system design needing some type of pump like that. Perhaps so much moisture builds up?

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
Thank you. I Just ordered some vibration resistant rubber like you recommended and will try mounting the pump on there. There are two metal straps that criss cross over the pump that I was going to mount the strap on top of the rubber too (so like nail going through strap, through the rubber, then into the wooden platform its on)

I don't know if the picture is a little misleading. That thick gray line from the AC unit goes into the house. The only thing the pump has is a plug into an outlet, and then it hooks into what looks like a 1" PVC drain pipe. The AC system / house is brand new, built within 1 year. The house is like 18 feet off the ground on stilts, and it's right on the coast. Does either of those have anything to do with AC system design needing some type of pump like that. Perhaps so much moisture builds up?
Take the little concrete step thing off and take another picture of the actual unit. Where do the pipes go.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

They all have pumps, they compress the refrigerant. I’ve just never seen an external one like that so not sure if that is what that one is doing. The moisture should just fall off with gravity but maybe you have to have some additional external pump pulling moisture through it because it’s sitting on wood, idk. I’m not familiar with coastal stilt houses.

• 1Like