Home Improvement

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Here's a public service announcement to remind you that the anode in your hot water tank needs to be replaced every few years!

304DAB22-C770-4A79-8671-E4C6F966B6B4.jpeg

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
View attachment 343223

Does anyone know about air conditioners? This is a house on stilts. This is a little concrete covering that is over a small air compressor, and the air compressor seems to be tied into the AC drain pipe (the little 1" PVP pipe). What the fuck does this do, and is it necessary? I've never seen an AC have a little air compressor on the drain pipe before. I'd love to just unplug it.

I ask because it vibrates literally the whole house. Its one of those low frequency things so you can always feel it. Makes me feel miserable.

If it's on the drain, it might be a condensate pump. I've just never seen one mounted outdoors before.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
If it's on the drain, it might be a condensate pump. I've just never seen one mounted outdoors before.

I think that's what it is. I'm wondering if there should be a float switch or something that is broken. Like I don't think it should be running 24/7, which it is.

I'm going to call the builder Monday and see wtf is up.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
How old is the waterheater? When standing near the WH, does it sound like popcorn popping when you turn on the shower/bath to full hot after a few minutes?
I think it's about 15 years old. I replaced it today and pulled the anode out of curiosity.

• 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I think it's about 15 years old. I replaced it today and pulled the anode out of curiosity.
was it like super seized? i remember when i first changed the anode, i did it with "basic" tools just a socket wrench and force and a hammer and the whole tank shook and moved, even when full.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
was it like super seized? i remember when i first changed the anode, i did it with "basic" tools just a socket wrench and force and a hammer and the whole tank shook and moved, even when full.
Surprisingly it wasn’t seized at all really but I had already emptied the tank so maybe depressurization helped? I only used channel locks.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
My water heater has been making the popping sounds for more than a decade. It's actually better now than it was when I moved in. I installed a water softener, that seemed to help immediately. I keep waiting for it to go so I can install a tankless water heater, so we have as much hot water on demand as we want.

People don't freaking think when they put in these huge soaker tubs and have standard water heaters that can't fill them.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Tankless hot water heater is A+, love it so much.
We're with my mother in law temporarily and its hilarious now whenever the kids are in the shower and someone flushes the toilet, or turns on the kitchen sink, etc. and they scream about how hot or cold the water just got. They've been spoiled!

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Why don’t you try putting rubber / high density foam padding under the compressor to see if that enough vibration it isn’t as noticeable? Look for the kind you buy for under your washing machines feet that are designed to do that. You may need to put some under the concrete pad too if it raises the compressor too high.

I’ve never seen a compressor outside of an AC like that, they’re usually in the main body. If that’s the main compressor then no you can’t just remove it, that’s how ACs function. If that’s some weird add on then maybe you can.

How old is the hvac system? If it’s like 15+ you could always just say fuck it and replace it all before it fails, since it’s getting close anyways. If it’s that old you’d gain a lot of efficiency most likely as well.
Take the little concrete step thing off and take another picture of the actual unit. Where do the pipes go.

Well, I’m stupid lol. I called builder, it’s some kind of thing that pumps air to the septic tank to blow off something. He’s going to move it for me tomm.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
i just mowed my lawn a few days ago, changed my mower oil and carb too, threw down milogranite, humic acid and seeded up the bald spots, i already got sprouts
I use a 40 volt battery powered Ryobi mower. Best thing I ever bought for the lawn. Zero maint and runs like a dream.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I use a 40 volt battery powered Ryobi mower. Best thing I ever bought for the lawn. Zero maint and runs like a dream.
yea i've been thinking about going back to electric, i got the gas mower when i was using a corded mower and it choked after a particularly rainy week, grass just grew too thick, i'll never go back to corded again, that cord was too annoying, but i have been thinking about 40v mowers, specifically i'll just wait till ryobi gets a super awesome 40v, since i already have a ryobi 40v trimmer, lulz, more ryobi shit.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
yea i've been thinking about going back to electric, i got the gas mower when i was using a corded mower and it choked after a particularly rainy week, grass just grew too thick, i'll never go back to corded again, that cord was too annoying, but i have been thinking about 40v mowers, specifically i'll just wait till ryobi gets a super awesome 40v, since i already have a ryobi 40v trimmer, lulz, more ryobi shit.
Yeah the battery swap thing is great. I have all the 40v tools to work off the batteries. I like the mower

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah the battery swap thing is great. I have all the 40v tools to work off the batteries. I like the mower
you ever swap your blades? i actually have an ego blade in my mower, ppl say it creates extreme lift, which i find good for mulching, cuz it spends more time floating around in the deck getting mulched than back on the ground. i have two gator blades and they aren't as good as the ego blade, which is dainty and light, cuz electric mowers are all light.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
OK, where's Dandai Dandai and the grass posts?
I moved from my green 1/8 acre paradise in NC to a weedy and overgrown 5 acre former tree farm property in north central Florida. I’ve got a few patches of nice looking centipede grass that I’ve been encouraging to spread but I’m not even gonna try to get fescue to grow down here. The humidity is always so high here that I’d be constantly fighting fungal infections.

RIP:

A7985348-171B-4CF9-81C9-B4A7EDE0BCE5.jpeg

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
you ever swap your blades? i actually have an ego blade in my mower, ppl say it creates extreme lift, which i find good for mulching, cuz it spends more time floating around in the deck getting mulched than back on the ground. i have two gator blades and they aren't as good as the ego blade, which is dainty and light, cuz electric mowers are all light.
I am in NY now and we have this really fine, thin grass that doesn't have anywhere near the resistance of the St. Augustine grass I am used to in Fla. I still use the same stock blade it came with.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I am in NY now and we have this really fine, thin grass that doesn't have anywhere near the resistance of the St. Augustine grass I am used to in Fla. I still use the same stock blade it came with.
i just checked out the newest ryobi, seems they copied yesteryears ego and going with dual blades calling it "cross cut"

now i see that ego is also selling their dual blade as a set, i'mma try em out
783625cbc054f536b8d070e0a14f60e5.png

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I moved from my green 1/8 acre paradise in NC to a weedy and overgrown 5 acre former tree farm property in north central Florida. I’ve got a few patches of nice looking centipede grass that I’ve been encouraging to spread but I’m not even gonna try to get fescue to grow down here. The humidity is always so high here that I’d be constantly fighting fungal infections.

RIP:

View attachment 344871

I live a little bit north of you, about an hour south of Jax and 45 minutes from the shore, what woul dyou recommend? I think I have St. Augustine grass right now

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I live a little bit north of you, about an hour south of Jax and 45 minutes from the shore, what woul dyou recommend? I think I have St. Augustine grass right now
I like the Astroturf they have at the golf courses and resorts down there.

• 1Worf