Home Improvement

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I live a little bit north of you, about an hour south of Jax and 45 minutes from the shore, what woul dyou recommend? I think I have St. Augustine grass right now
There are a lot of factors that go into recommending grass types since it’s a ton of work to do a full renovation even for a relatively small yard. I believe I could get a fescue/KBG lawn like the one i posted above to thrive here, but it would be significantly more effort because any lapse in preemergent or preventative fungicide would be a disaster. Not to mention maintaining a very particular watering schedule to make sure the blades weren’t wet at night but the plant got at least 1 1/2” of irrigation per week.

Aesthetically, I think St Aug looks pretty good. It’s probably the tallest of all warm season grasses, but the blades are crunchy and have sharp edge so it’s not as enjoyable as cool season grasses on bare feet (of course in Florida fire ants are also not enjoyable on bare feet). I don’t know a lot about warm season grasses, but it seems to me that St Aug is vulnerable to some fungus problems more so than Bermuda and centipede.

One thing I really like about the centipede I’ve got is that I’ve never seen it go yellow and dormant (and I’ve been here just over two years now). It’s super low maintenance (practically none) and actually doesn’t respond well to fertilization. My biggest complaint with my centipede is that it spreads very slowly. When I first moved here a couple years ago I found an area of centipede thriving in an open clearing among hundreds of pine saplings. It was about the size of a dining room table. That summer I cleared the property of the saplings and gave the centipede plenty of room to stretch out. It’s now two years later and that patch is about the size of a 2 car garage.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
so i bought those ego dual blades from lowes cuz amazon would take a month to come, couple of take aways

i've done this before with "mismatched" blades, basically just another ego blade and another blade i had around, it should like like a jackhammer, i had to buy "impact" resistant gloves cuz i could still feel it after mowing.

this still "shook" but not as much i could just wear my regular gloves (i actually like the impact gloves, but i recent cleaned up the garage and had fingerless workgloves out already, so i just used those)

the mulch is AMAZING, with a single regular ego blade i was getting various mulch sizes of upwards of 1 inch, these dual blades are making the mulch look like dirt almost, so yea i'll keep on using it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Basement closet under the stairs is used for theater room equipment and it has always had a long narrow layout that was pretty worthless for storage. I wanted to make better use of it so I built a bookcase in to store movies and narrow items. Turned out pretty good but my God stuff is expensive right now. Two sheets of plywood, fucking $52 a sheet!

20210311_145048.jpg

20210329_170052.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Horrible time to buy lumber. We need to rebuild a chicken house this spring and I hate to think what it's going to cost.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Horrible time to buy lumber. We need to rebuild a chicken house this spring and I hate to think what it's going to cost.
It is. Friend of mine got quotes on building a house. They’re tacking on a $10k additional “lumber tax” right now.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
It is. Friend of mine got quotes on building a house. They’re tacking on a $10k additional “lumber tax” right now.

I was looking at a lot to build an investment property. Talked to a builder, even building like the shittiest quality house with pre-fab cabinets we were looking at $200/sqft and that's not even counting the land. He said *everything* is more expensive, so like a 2x4x16 was (I'm making up these numbers) $8, now its $20. But even like concrete for the foundation is more expensive, sheetrock, shingles, counter tops, everything. It's retarded.

• 1Tiresome
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Is there a man cave / man lounge thread somewhere on this forum? I know there's the home entertainment thread....
it gets mixed in with the theatre thread

if thats the thread youre talking about?

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Fireplaces... After my remodel last year one of the only things I didn't finish up was the fireplace. After they pulled the old mantel, hearth, and surround I just had them go back and drywall it in and repaint with the new wall color with the intention of doing what I wanted later. Selling now and just want to clean up a couple of things if I can. Can I just use backsplash tile banding around the edge here? Wasn't sure about codes with certain things being distances from the opening. If I can get away with something for like $10 from Lowe's I'll grab it but not putting $100+ in to this. Realtor hasn't even asked me to address it, she just made me make a mantel which was like $26 in 1x8s.

IMG_2958.jpg

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Fireplaces... After my remodel last year one of the only things I didn't finish up was the fireplace. After they pulled the old mantel, hearth, and surround I just had them go back and drywall it in and repaint with the new wall color with the intention of doing what I wanted later. Selling now and just want to clean up a couple of things if I can. Can I just use backsplash tile banding around the edge here? Wasn't sure about codes with certain things being distances from the opening. If I can get away with something for like $10 from Lowe's I'll grab it but not putting $100+ in to this. Realtor hasn't even asked me to address it, she just made me make a mantel which was like $26 in 1x8s.

View attachment 345441
be like this old man, guess that is called a fireplace surround

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
be like this old man, guess that is called a fireplace surround

You crazy? Not spending money on all that wood to make a surround that'll just be left for some other assholes to tear it down once they overpay for my house.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

View attachment 345441
Pretty easy fix really, just get door/chair rail trim and trim around the edge. Probably cost like $6-12 and it’s two simple 45 degree cuts.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Pretty easy fix really, just get door/chair rail trim and trim around the edge. Probably cost like $6-12 and it’s two simple 45 degree cuts.
should do a bit of routing first so it fits over the metal right?

• 1Truth!

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

Yeah that's fine if that'll work. When I was doing the mantel I was just reading about code for combustible material being X inches from the fireplace opening. Which the vertical part if you measure from edge to actual opening is 6" even though it looks thinner just measuring the metal surround.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
should do a bit of routing first so it fits over the metal right?
It looks fairly flush. If it’s enough to make the trim pop way up maybe route it down. If it only pops up slightly you can just caulk the edges and where the trim angles meet and no one will even know or see it.

Pro caulk tip: Use the blue or green painters tape on the metal, caulk, smooth it with your finger, peel the tape off. It makes amazing straight lines, looks very good.

• 1Like

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Lol the license plate on the racing seat.

Found this on marketplace today:

racing setup.jpg

LMAO.

Does anybody know a good way to get rid of the smell of oil based paints? I have windows open, running HEPA filter on high 24/7, have tried slices of lime, bowls of white vinegar.

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Found this on marketplace today:

View attachment 345481

LMAO.

Does anybody know a good way to get rid of the smell of oil based paints? I have windows open, running HEPA filter on high 24/7, have tried slices of lime, bowls of white vinegar.
“You and a buddy can sit in it but I’d say there’s a 600 lb weight limit” lmao