Home Improvement

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Went to home depot yesterday to get a bunch of lumber to build a new roof for the well house. Simmering shitfarts, how the fuck can anyone afford to build a house with lumber prices what they are right now?!

1618238906563.png

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Barf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
The cost of lumber gave me the excuse I’ve been looking for to start milling my own 4x4 fence posts. Once I’m done with this project I’m gonna build a post frame shed to store my generator and lawn tractor.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I know you know this, but just to expand. It’s not just lumber. It’s concrete, sheet rock, shingles, and worst of all, labor. Very facet of building a house is more expensive.
You know what else is fucked? Foam. Foam for couches.

We went to 4 different furniture stores yesterday (3 national brands, 1 local company). Lead time on anything you want that is standard (don't want to change the color or fabric) is minimum of 15 weeks.
The only stuff you can get within 2-4 weeks is whatever they have in stock, and there is a reason it's in stock...

• 1Like

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I'm curious how building prices would affect how much coverage you have on insurance in the event of a natural disaster. Could building prices outpace that replacement cost of a structure?

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
The cost of lumber gave me the excuse I’ve been looking for to start milling my own 4x4 fence posts. Once I’m done with this project I’m gonna build a post frame shed to store my generator and lawn tractor.

I haven't been out to my local premium hardwood store yet to check how 5/4 and 6/4 stuff is selling. Last year I picked up a bunch of hickory and other things that was cheaper than just buying dimensional stuff from HD or Lowe's. Need to make another run out there soon.

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I haven't been out to my local premium hardwood store yet to check how 5/4 and 6/4 stuff is selling. Last year I picked up a bunch of hickory and other things that was cheaper than just buying dimensional stuff from HD or Lowe's. Need to make another run out there soon.
I live on 5 acres that used to be a pine tree farm. I’ve got dozens of mature pines and about a dozen trees that I haven’t identified yet but I believe are a variety of wild cherry. For the fence posts I’m starting with the younger pines that have grown weird and wouldn’t be useful as long timbers.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
i googled wellhouse

b01ee1b9a0b3fb5bcbf40f3ad611baf2.jpg

which one you got?
This one is closest. Its not even human height. Just a 70in x 70in concrete foundation about 3ft off the ground. I'm over engineering it because kids are over all the time and I don't want to stress about them climbing on it all the time like my dad did. The current one is a shitty tin roof with sharp edges and nails hanging out. I'm doing shingles with a sloped roof. Eventually going to build a chicken coop next to it too, but fuck that right now with building prices.

Screenshot_20210412-103744_Chrome.jpg

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
We were going to build a new chicken coop this spring too but they might have to just make it another year in the old one. It's so rotten that last year a raccoon basically just ripped a hole through the wall and killed 2 ducks.

My brother was talking to an ATV sales place and he had nothing in stock and didn't know when he could get anything because the factory couldn't get foam for seats. Went by the other ATV place in town which usually has like 50-100 side by sides in their lot and they have like 10.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
My boss got a phone call that their home insurance went up for their 50+ year old house due to lumber. The price of lumber is making insurance policies higher...wtf.

• 1WTF

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
It's so rotten that last year a raccoon basically just ripped a hole through the wall and killed 2 ducks.
Do you guys have possums or skunks out there? We have them all over the place out here and I'm not sure how much I need to plan around them when building a coop. The possums are fucking gigantic. We had coyotes all over where I grew up and I hear them a lot around here too, but I never had to deal with possums. I'm guessing I'm going to need a fully enclosed coop, including the floor?

That just reminded me that my mom got 3 peacocks when I was young and we had them for about a year before some coyotes got in the field and fucking shredded them. It was a beautiful murder site. He was just being a smartass, but my dad threw a couple of leftover porkchops in the field that night and told me "It's a little treat for the coyotes for getting rid of those annoying birds". We lost all of our geese and a couple of ducks to the coyotes the next year. I was bummed about that. The geese were really tame and would walk around the field next to me.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
We have skunks, no possums. The coons are the big issue though. They are surprisingly smart and strong. Our big chicken house has a dirt floor but it's built on a concrete footing so something would have to dig pretty far down to get under it and nothing ever has. I think if you're not going to do that you probably want a floor in your coop. Also, we don't use "chicken wire" for anything. That stuff is so weak that our barn cats can tear through it. Cover all the windows/vents with some more serious welded wire mesh or something.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
The only issue we ever had with skunks was them tearing the fuck out of our sweet corn. They'd climb up, knock down a stalk, eat a portion of an ear of corn, then go do teh same to the next one.

Rinse and repeat.

But raccoons? Yeah, those fuckers are the worst.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Ground hogs are nasty mother fuckers. They’ll tear up your foundation with tunnels. My grandpa covered the entire foundation of his barn in large rocks. They would just squeeze out. So he waited until they were in their den under the rocks and he cemented the entire thing together with the rocks. A few day later the mother fucker gnawed a tunnel through the concrete.

Eventually he’d just sit in a lawn chair in the backyard with a rifle and a beer after work and smoke em when they popped their heads up. He was pretty proud of those kills. Think it was pretty relaxing for him.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm

We went to 4 different furniture stores yesterday (3 national brands, 1 local company). Lead time on anything you want that is standard (don't want to change the color or fabric) is minimum of 15 weeks.
The only stuff you can get within 2-4 weeks is whatever they have in stock, and there is a reason it's in stock...

Lot of stuff similar to foam is getting very hard to get. Plastics and such as well. Already supply was thinning out due to reduced workers at chemical plants that supply the mains tock. Throw in the reduction of oil being refined which is where a large part of the stock starts. Reason most refineries have a chemical plant on site or next door. Then the freeze on the gulf coast caused a lot of further issues. Talk to someone that makes things made of plastic actually in the US they can't get resins at all and has been happening now for a few months.

Timber has a variety of reasons. One of them was during the first shutdowns they had to rework some of the mills to spread out their workers. All the guys after the saw and mill that grade lumber literally stand almost shoulder to shoulder doing it. A lot of it has been replaced by machine and cameras but someone still stands there at the camera and pulls the boards into different lanes going down through the mill. A LOT of mills now are either illegals or damn near illegals and it would not take a rocket surgeon to figure out a lot of them found out they could make more on enemployment than working. Gone are the days of long term mill workers that had X number of years of experience on the line. Now it's all low wage short term (for a lot of them) manual wage earners that are here today gone tomorrow, one of the benefits of mechanization. Also when they make plywood the "peeler bolts" bolts of wood that are peeled with a machine. As each layer comes off in long pieces those pieces are shifted and aligned by actual humans standing side by side. Guessing that had to change. Plywood is also granded by guys standing side by side, that had to change. They also work in teams patching places in plywood and all that was shoulder to shoulder work. One guy with the special tool to cut the football shape out, guy with the glue gun deal, and guy with the patch. All day everyday standing shoulder to shoulder. No idea if they changed it or just told them to suck it up. Lot of work in ths country was still shoulder to shoulder people when everything went social distancing. It adds up.

Also shipping. Most loggers have long term guys that haul their own timber to the mill. That really hasn't been an issue. But all the other kinks in supplies and the number being drastically reduced in the amount of truck driving school graduates the pool of drivers moved up the pay scale. Throw in the amount of people that overnight wanted all or most of their stuff delivered to almost their door and not in bulk locally which requires less shipping and is much cheaper.

Also as far as a timber company goes there's a management plan in place before the tree is even planted that they typically follow except in some cases of "feed the mill". They can only juggle things around to feed the mill without totally fucking up their long term supply of timber and the management plan they were following. You can't stockpile timber stands long term so a steady demand that allows for thinning, harvesting, replanting and such works out to keep the mill busy. That has totally been thrown out the window now. If it stays this way long term it will start to impact timber companies. Also super low interest rates, money printing, and people having time off of work to do "things" didn't help. It all adds up.

Toured a brand new state of the art heavily mechanized mill 25 years ago. Had to flowchart out the process on an exam. Professor did not like my "Illegal standing with a chainsaw to cut the board that wouldn't make the turn on the line after the saw". Which is what he was doing, but it was new and they were working out the kinks.

Point being politicans always come up with something that sounds pretty minor and it gets magnified each step of the way because they didn't bother to ask and sure have never held a real job.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Ground hogs are nasty mother fuckers. They’ll tear up your foundation with tunnels. My grandpa covered the entire foundation of his barn in large rocks. They would just squeeze out. So he waited until they were in their den under the rocks and he cemented the entire thing together with the rocks. A few day later the mother fucker gnawed a tunnel through the concrete.

Eventually he’d just sit in a lawn chair in the backyard with a rifle and a beer after work and smoke em when they popped their heads up. He was pretty proud of those kills. Think it was pretty relaxing for him.
Excuse my ignorance(I mean that quite seriously), but isn't this a job for traps or poison? I mean, I guess you have other stuff in the area you don't want incidentally killed?

Borzak

No idea but I imagine the poison and shit has really been cut back from the federal government. In my lifetime it used to be common to put out cyanide trap bombs for coytoes. The coyotes would smell the trap, put their mouth up to it and it would go off and blow up injecting them with cyanide. Guess they don't do that any longer either lol, or at least reduce.

• 1Like

Borzak

Fuck, that sounds awesome.
Apparently Trump reauthorized, sure Biden will strike it down soon. Effective apparently but I've never used one. Used by profession trappers and killers hired by the government I think.

When the trap is triggered, the spring propels a dose of sodium cyanide into the animal's mouth, and the sodium cyanide combines with water in the mouth to produce poisonous cyanide gas

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Excuse my ignorance(I mean that quite seriously), but isn't this a job for traps or poison? I mean, I guess you have other stuff in the area you don't want incidentally killed?
I’m not sure back then. My grandpa wasn’t a farmer type, just lives out in the country, so he may have been ignorant of alternatives. You’re correct though, traps have incidental deaths. One of my coworkers lost a dog to a trap two years ago, another coworker almost did as well but made it to the vet in time to save the dog. Live traps suck cause now you have this nasty live animal you have to get rid of. I know they have some awesome traps for moles that work like guillotines that work really well but groundhogs and their dens wouldn’t work with those. Moles you can see all their tunnels so you just stick the guillotine traps in the pathway.

Anyways rifle and beer in your back yard is a great way to spend a relaxing evening.

The mole guillotine traps are very effective. Theresa a spike style and a giant scissor style. Spike looks more wicked.

1618312604301.jpeg

• 1Like