Home Improvement

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I've found that 25 lbs of high explosive followed up by daily napalming for a week does the trick.

Fuck you ants

1620793433134.gif

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
So my parents got some trees removed about a month ago and the lawn has a bunch of nasty ruts in it. Mowing the lawn today for the first time this year was painful wherever the trucks had been. I'm looking for the least painful way to smooth things out somewhat. Fill the ruts with topsoil and seed them, suck it up and till the whole damn thing? Most of the ruts are several inches deep and have pushed up the lawn next to them by an inch or two.

Their lawn has never been great as it's sandy soil and they still have too many damn trees, so this doesn't have to be perfect. I'm just looking to not break the mower or my ass when I mow the damn thing.

Last edited:

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So my parents got some trees removed about a month ago and the lawn has a bunch of nasty ruts in it. Mowing the lawn today for the first time this year was painful wherever the trucks had been. I'm looking for the least painful way to smooth things out somewhat. Fill the ruts with topsoil and seed them, suck it up and till the whole damn thing? Most of the ruts are several inches deep and have pushed up the lawn next to them by an inch or two.

Their lawn has never been great as it's sandy soil and they still have too many damn trees, so this doesn't have to be perfect. I'm just looking to not break the mover or my ass when I mow the damn thing.
I just do the topsoil and seed thing. Unless you are somewhere that likes St Augustine grass then just buy rectangles of sod on top of the topsoil.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Steel core 556 into the mound usually kills fire ant colonies.

Guessing the shock deleted the queen and eggs

• 1Worf

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>

Their lawn has never been great as it's sandy soil and they still have too many damn trees, so this doesn't have to be perfect. I'm just looking to not break the mover or my ass when I mow the damn thing.

Metal rake, tears up the soil enough to level it out. Not a flimsy one, but the heavy metal takes. Garden rake, not a leaf rake

Shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>

Make sure the topsoil is 50% sand or you’ll get ruts again in the near future when it decomposes into the ground.

• 1Truth!

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
hey Araysar Araysar
you said you have no tools but garage junk right?

huge deal on this set
5587d1aec618078e812981142f456437.png

heres the slickdeals

as i said, i only have a literal wall of ryobi, cuz thats what i started out with 10years ago, and those 2 impact/drill are still going strong and so is the batteries.

a good impact and drill is obvious

that multitool, has it's uses, just recently i fixed the trim on my windowsill and i needed to trim off extra wood/putty, awesome (and you can swap out heads)

the reciprocating saw i use to prune tree limbs and bushes

i did use the circular saw for my shelving, but i have a tablesaw now

and the 60pc drill kit is enough to take care of regular home repairs imo.

i won't influence your tool choice, honestly if i had to start over gain i'd buy the milwalkee line, but thats only b/c i watch too many youtube tool comparisons and milwalkee is at least double if not triple the price of ryobi.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I use the multitool (mines different brand) quite a bit. Using it to cut through trim, caulk, shave trim down, etc. it’s great. Have made money with it even, opening caulked/painted shut ancient windows for someone. Used it when installing my own hardwood floor too. Just set it on the top of the hardwood, perfectly sets the height to trim your door trim where it meets the floor.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I use the multitool (mines different brand) quite a bit. Using it to cut through trim, caulk, shave trim down, etc. it’s great. Have made money with it even, opening caulked/painted shut ancient windows for someone. Used it when installing my own hardwood floor too. Just set it on the top of the hardwood, perfectly sets the height to trim your door trim where it meets the floor.
the ryobi multitool can also use the ridgid jobmax line of attachments

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
hey Araysar Araysar

huge deal on this set

heres the slickdeals

as i said, i only have a literal wall of ryobi, cuz thats what i started out with 10years ago, and those 2 impact/drill are still going strong and so is the batteries.

that multitool, has it's uses, just recently i fixed the trim on my windowsill and i needed to trim off extra wood/putty, awesome (and you can swap out heads)

i won't influence your tool choice, honestly if i had to start over gain i'd buy the milwalkee line, but thats only b/c i watch too many youtube tool comparisons and milwalkee is at least double if not triple the price of ryobi.

thanks for this, just picked it up

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
hey Araysar Araysar

huge deal on this set

heres the slickdeals

That is a nice set for the price. Wish it had a 3rd battery though. And wtf is that multi-tool? I see it in HD and always wonder what it actually does.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
And wtf is that multi-tool? I see it in HD and always wonder what it actually does.
It's definitely not something you can't get by without but it's nice because it can saw straight into a flat surface and you can cut pretty precisely in some pretty awkward places. I bought mine to scrape linoleum glue off my subfloor. If you put a scraper blade in it it's pretty effective for that too. I've used it a fair amount since then though. Not something you're going to use all day long but when you have one, you'll find uses for it from time to time.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
It's definitely not something you can't get by without but it's nice because it can saw straight into a flat surface and you can cut pretty precisely in some pretty awkward places. I bought mine to scrape linoleum glue off my subfloor. If you put a scraper blade in it it's pretty effective for that too. I've used it a fair amount since then though. Not something you're going to use all day long but when you have one, you'll find uses for it from time to time.

The cutting straight into a flat surface makes this an amazing tool. I don't have that brand, I have a generic one from Harbor Freight, but it goes through hardwood like a boss. I've also used it to clean out old caulk around a window, I've also used it to drive mortar out from between bricks. I never want to be without one of these again.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
That is a nice set for the price. Wish it had a 3rd battery though. And wtf is that multi-tool? I see it in HD and always wonder what it actually does.
The head rotates back and forth extremely fast but only like 1/16th of an inch each direction (if that). The result is the action of a saw blade without full rotation. Sort of like hair clippers but one blade vibrating super fast instead of two sliding across each other. Or sanding like an orbital, or grinding, etc. it has a lot of attachments for special uses. You put a saw blade on it, turn it on and it will vibrate slice through a piece of trim or caulk like butter. Can make very precise, very clean edged cuts and trims with it.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Oh yeah I forgot about the sanding part. I used mine to sand down a window frame just a couple of weeks ago. Very handy for getting into the nooks and crannies.

lurker

Vyemm Raider

Once you've cut a hole in drywall with a multitool, you'll understand. Almost no dust and the piece fits right back in the cut out. A finger tip's worth of drywall mud and some paint and you're done.

And I like that Ryobi One stuff. The size of the family of tools and things Ryobi has in that system is amazing.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
YEah when we were doing my brother in laws addition with drywall there was a kit he bought, a screw gun which had drywall screws on a lastic belt, which could be operated one handed and screwed drywall to the perfect depth. And along with this drill the kit had a drywall cutter, basically a zip type saw, kind of like a dremel. This made drywall work quick and easy. It would zip around the light sockets in a few seconds using the outside/inside of the socket box as the template. Of course you had to know the rough whereabouts of the socket but after doing a few we quickly got the hang of it. But that drywall gun was a god send fort the job since we had 10 ft pieces of 1/2 in drywall to do the ceilings with. I would hold the piece on one end, he would the other with one hand and the screw gun in the other, then he would hand the gun off to me to do my side.

Without that tool, we would have to have a 3rd person there to hold while the screw dude fiddled around with screws and a normal drill.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
YEah when we were doing my brother in laws addition with drywall there was a kit he bought, a screw gun which had drywall screws on a lastic belt, which could be operated one handed and screwed drywall to the perfect depth. And along with this drill the kit had a drywall cutter, basically a zip type saw, kind of like a dremel. This made drywall work quick and easy. It would zip around the light sockets in a few seconds using the outside/inside of the socket box as the template. Of course you had to know the rough whereabouts of the socket but after doing a few we quickly got the hang of it. But that drywall gun was a god send fort the job since we had 10 ft pieces of 1/2 in drywall to do the ceilings with. I would hold the piece on one end, he would the other with one hand and the screw gun in the other, then he would hand the gun off to me to do my side.

Without that tool, we would have to have a 3rd person there to hold while the screw dude fiddled around with screws and a normal drill.
My multitool is made by Dremel. Dremel isn’t the name of a tool, it’s a brand name. I’m guessing what you’re referring to as a Dremel is a rotary tool, most people just call those a Dremel for some reason. Maybe they were first to market with it or that was all they made for a while? I know they have a massive rotary tool and attachment line. I have a Dremel mini-saw too.

Anyways, just some tool info.