Home Improvement

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Lanx, you're not moving out of your Favorite State, are you?
fuck this shithole...

it's really tiring putting on a "sad face" when my movers and realtor say "what about kansas will you miss? must be so sad to go..."

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
what really? jesus
Its a big liability for them supposedly.

They wouldn't transport any of my booze either because you need an interstate license to transport booze if youre a shipper or some bullshit.

No chemical transport because its hazardous, so no cleaning supplies, etc. Had to give qll that shit away to friends and neighbors in Cali

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
In Kentucky? Take a long car ride through country roads and find someone out there who sells it by the rick. It’s generally by far the cheapest way to get it, cause it’s just some rural neighbor.

Other than that, gas stations. There may be some big box store or local mulch place that sells it but I don’t know who. Going that way you’re going to pay 3-4x as much per rick than buying from a local guy. If your fairly rural you could ask around, someone may know a guy kind of thing.

Yeah that or any of the homemade signs nailed to trees and fence posts. Call the number. Mostly around here within reason they'll deliver it too if you don't have a trailer. I will say it is hit or miss on whether it is dried or not. Last year someone claimed theirs was and delivered it and we bitched and they took off $$$. Get you a good place to store it so it isn't sitting out in the open.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
this worked really well for my bare spots
93ba27f2e7f439381d348be791ab8d50.png

i tried all the other pennington/schultz and others brands (in different spots) from menards, they all suck.

i had to get this from amazon and it works amazing. ok first it feels like fucking white shredded fluffy paper. and when you put it down, it looks weird as shit, but i'm guessing it's some super absorbant material thats better than peat moss to keep the seed hydrated.

when you put down the patches of white, it looks ugly, but then you think, oh, at least now i know i "went over this area"

my neighbors are assholes so their dogs pee on my lawn, practically a straight line of dead grass

it looks like it's tall fescue, more than i would like... but since i'm moving out i wanna have zero bare spots, and this did the trick really well.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
had to cut 1 1/2 pvc pipe, hacksaw is buried since i'm moving, remember i had this
6548e9d1380d5176f8e4461c7d1d2b99.png

literally 10seconds.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
this worked really well for my bare spots
93ba27f2e7f439381d348be791ab8d50.png

i tried all the other pennington/schultz and others brands (in different spots) from menards, they all suck.

i had to get this from amazon and it works amazing. ok first it feels like fucking white shredded fluffy paper. and when you put it down, it looks weird as shit, but i'm guessing it's some super absorbant material thats better than peat moss to keep the seed hydrated.

when you put down the patches of white, it looks ugly, but then you think, oh, at least now i know i "went over this area"

my neighbors are assholes so their dogs pee on my lawn, practically a straight line of dead grass

it looks like it's tall fescue, more than i would like... but since i'm moving out i wanna have zero bare spots, and this did the trick really well.
Just a heads up, birds will eat that if you don’t cover it. Put some straw on it and keep it watered and it’ll sprout pretty quick.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
fucking birds!
Yeah assholes. First two weeks I thought the seed was worthless til I notice those fuckers eating it. Even covered we had a couple poking around in it this morning.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Where is the best place to typically go and buy firewood in bulk?

Also with lumber prices soaring, is that affecting firewood prices or not?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
That looks like two ricks. A rick is a stack of wood where the face is 4x8. A lot of ricks is a cord, I forget how many.

A cord just defines depth whereas a rick has an "assumed" depth of like 16" or whatever, can't remember.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
A cord just defines depth whereas a rick has an "assumed" depth of like 16" or whatever, can't remember.
Bugging me now so looked it up. Rick is 4x8 and can be 12”, 16”, or 24”. A Cord is 4x4x8 so depending on what size they cut the ricks you’d have 2,3, or 4 ricks in a cord. Pretty confusing!

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
ok, so how does this work,

i've ignored my basement kitchen gfci for years, it never worked (most likely they wired it wrong)

i finally sat down and saw a youtube on how to wire w/ line and load, etc.

i actually wired it correct now, have power to the gfci, and the 2 outlets connected to load,

i even tested it with this
2d590ee88f4a74624f8887fbabe91187.png

and i get 2 ok lights for those outlets, however the top gfci won't light up (but theres power coming in, i tested with that electric pen) and the bottom lights up fine.

however if i "wiggle" the tester, (for the top) it'll light up...

well i happen to have a spare gfci and i hook that up... same thing, wth.

so i just goto menards and see what my options are, and i buy a 20amp gfci, and lord have mercy it works 100%, i have no idea why the 20amp vs. the 15amp (sometimes works) makes a difference.

Erronius Erronius ?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Could be that the tester is just a POS. I usually test the GFI outlets for our cattle water tank heaters by plugging an extension cord into them and then dipping the other end in the tank. Works like a charm.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Could be that the tester is just a POS. I usually test the GFI outlets for our cattle water tank heaters by plugging an extension cord into them and then dipping the other end in the tank. Works like a charm.
i actually have 2 the sperry one and another one that also shows led voltage, and they both failed to work for the top one.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I bought my buddy a GFI surge protector thing because he was so wild with his use of extension cords around huge containers of water (he did a lot of home brewing). He bitched and moaned and said I wasted my money and that I worry too much blah blah blah. One day he and another guy were brewing and the mixer or shop vac or whatever they were using suddenly cut off and stopped working and they couldn’t figure out why. Turns out their extension cord fell off whatever they had it suspended on (to keep it off the ground) and into the puddle of water they were standing in while they were diagnosing the problem.

I only know this story because he reluctantly told me about it a few days after it happened. He sheepishly thanked me for getting that GFI surge protector. I had enough willpower to not say I told you so but not enough willpower to keep a straight face.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
ok, so how does this work,

i've ignored my basement kitchen gfci for years, it never worked (most likely they wired it wrong)

i finally sat down and saw a youtube on how to wire w/ line and load, etc.

i actually wired it correct now, have power to the gfci, and the 2 outlets connected to load,

i even tested it with this
2d590ee88f4a74624f8887fbabe91187.png

and i get 2 ok lights for those outlets, however the top gfci won't light up (but theres power coming in, i tested with that electric pen) and the bottom lights up fine.

however if i "wiggle" the tester, (for the top) it'll light up...

well i happen to have a spare gfci and i hook that up... same thing, wth.

so i just goto menards and see what my options are, and i buy a 20amp gfci, and lord have mercy it works 100%, i have no idea why the 20amp vs. the 15amp (sometimes works) makes a difference.

Erronius Erronius ?

First thing that's weird is usually they're either both hot, or both not. They're fed from the same place.

Second thing that was weird was two GFCIs in a row. Was the 'spare' a used one? I'm guessing it was, and just had the same random issue.

If you had no lights...then wiggled it and it worked...the issue was probably the top 'narrow' prong.

When you said that you could wiggle the top, and get a connection...my guess is that the 'clip' that the outlet prong mates to, was bent.

Sometimes I've wondered if people are too rough plugging stuff in, and yanking the cords out, or if they wiggle the plugs left to right a lot when pulling them out. Then they end up bending the internals out of wack.

Sometimes you can bend the prong on a plug left or right to make better contact with a loose outlet, but I don't know how comfortable I am with doing that. Then you're just inviting a situation where you don't really have good contact, and that's when bad things tend to happen (especially under a heavy load). The GFCI won't care if it has a loose connection, it only cares when current bleeds off somewhere and there's an imbalance between hot and neutral current.

What you did is probably the best fix. Throw the first two away, and replace. You can't really get inside a device to fix it if those fuckers get bent open and plugs don't stab/stick into the device correctly anymore. If you ever have a receptacle that's 'loose' but you can finagle it into working...you should probably just replace it.

1621896128037.png

• 2Like