Home Improvement

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
i basically have this in my soon to be new garage
95c536740fc05d6bd52316028f2529d3.png

this takes up a garage slot, and weighs more than my civic.

i knew this going in, this was my second choice house but market is so crazy, just get what you can...

i called 2 storm shelter companies, they don't really take them apart but if i wanted it'd be 6k which is basically what this cost.

so...

i'm gonna wire my garage for 240, so i can buy a plasma cutter and chip away at this thing 100lbs at a time.

thoughts?
This looks like a breast feeding pod that they have at union station in Chicago.

1623769515995.png

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, it was easy, I have PEX though. Just buy shark bite fittings, run lines to it, install an inline bypass. Also put a whole house filter on it. I fucked up and bought the wrong fittings because it was all my local place had but they were easy enough to find online and replace. PEX is just so easy to work with changes like that don’t take much work. All together I spent ~$650 compared to the $2k contractors wanted for it.
YEah last time I installed a hot water heater shark bite made a 3+ hour job into like a hour. (3+ hours because my sweating pipe skills lack) EZ PZ

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
It's pretty weird that they put it in in the first place. Do they have a lot of tornadoes in Nashville or something? I don't really think of that as a natural disaster type of place. Having a bomb/tornado shelter buried in the yard seems like a much better option than giving up half your garage.

$6K to remove it is retarded though.
The middle of TN is the worst for tornados so it isn’t an unreasonable thing to buy if you’re scared of them I guess. They have had some really bad years in the past. The odds of getting hit by one are really low but 🤷‍♂️

If I was going to do that I’d have one of the buried versions, not in my garage.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Anyone here ever install whole-home water softeners? I'm getting a bunch of mineralization in the bottoms of my toilets, and a significant amount of scale on my pool tiles that I suspect is because of this hard Edmond water. I see I can buy a water softener for like $1k to cover my home but hoping to install myself. Any experience here?
maybe try a whole house filter first?

this video is about installing a 20in filter, and uses 4.5x20 cartridges

tbh thats kinda huge, i'm more used to seeing 10in filters that use 4.5x10 cartridges in the youtubes, but i could see a purpose, changing the filter less, more "volume" for no pressure drop.

this is the best install i've seen especially with included gauges on both sides to see when filter changing is necessary.

if youre worried about pressure, you can go as low as 5 micron and not notice any pressure drop

1 micro btw is usually for ro systems, and even then they mostly use 5 micro for cost savings.

this is one of the more immediate projects i'll be doing once i move in, i'm gonna cobble my own ro system (i've had one for a few years, and frankensteining a better performing system doesn't seem hard), so you can ask me questions on micro size, pressure, etc for this.

but i know nothing about water softeners

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
The middle of TN is the worst for tornados so it isn’t an unreasonable thing to buy if you’re scared of them I guess. They have had some really bad years in the past. The odds of getting hit by one are really low but 🤷‍♂️

If I was going to do that I’d have one of the buried versions, not in my garage.

yea like i said elsewhere, my realtor says he's never seen a storm safe before, and when we looked at houses, we saw 2 properties with it.

i got more info from the realtor and the current owner is a former cop and i guess he built the storm safe for the cul de sac

he's even registered it

fuck that, my neighbors can fly to oz for all i care, i'm the guy thats actually coming in from kansas anyway, if i'm not worried about tornados, no one else should be either, i paid for a 2car garage, i want a two car garage.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Anyone here ever install whole-home water softeners? I'm getting a bunch of mineralization in the bottoms of my toilets, and a significant amount of scale on my pool tiles that I suspect is because of this hard Edmond water. I see I can buy a water softener for like $1k to cover my home but hoping to install myself. Any experience here?

Yeah, it was easy, I have PEX though. Just buy shark bite fittings, run lines to it, install an inline bypass. Also put a whole house filter on it. I fucked up and bought the wrong fittings because it was all my local place had but they were easy enough to find online and replace. PEX is just so easy to work with changes like that don’t take much work. All together I spent ~$650 compared to the $2k contractors wanted for it.

You can do that pretty easily if you have copper, too. Use pex beyond the shark bite fittings and make life easy.

The one thing to look out for is that most people (here at least) install water softeners for only their hot water, to save their water heaters. It's not awesome drinking softened water. The ideal situation is that if you have hard water like that you plumb certain things to your softener, like toilets and all hot water. Don't make the mistake of just doing your whole house, or you'll be watering your lawns with softened water. It can be tricky, but there are ways to do bypasses for certain things. It takes a lot of time to plan, but the actual execution is not so hard once you have a solid plan in place.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
yea like i said elsewhere, my realtor says he's never seen a storm safe before, and when we looked at houses, we saw 2 properties with it.

i got more info from the realtor and the current owner is a former cop and i guess he built the storm safe for the cul de sac

he's even registered it

fuck that, my neighbors can fly to oz for all i care, i'm the guy thats actually coming in from kansas anyway, if i'm not worried about tornados, no one else should be either, i paid for a 2car garage, i want a two car garage.

I think you do put it on craigslist or whatever. Tell people they can have it for the cost of moving it. Let them figure out how to do it for less than $6k. I bet you get a lot of interest.

And why the hell is it inside the structure? That makes no sense. What if the structure is destroyed and debris is stacked against the exit? I'd be surprised if your cell phone works inside that thing. And you're absolutely right, why on earth put it in a garage when you have cars to park. It's really strange to me. We get quite a few tornadoes here, too, not quite like there, and I've never once seen one of these in any house.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
And why the hell is it inside the structure? That makes no sense. What if the structure is destroyed and debris is stacked against the exit? I'd be surprised if your cell phone works inside that thing. And you're absolutely right, why on earth put it in a garage when you have cars to park. It's really strange to me. We get quite a few tornadoes here, too, not quite like there, and I've never once seen one of these in any house.

And even at a ton+, since it's above ground level and appears to not be bolted to the slab it could still be blown away or knocked over by extreme tornado winds or a flying tree or something.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
And even at a ton+, since it's above ground level and appears to not be bolted to the slab it could still be blown away or knocked over by extreme tornado winds or a flying tree or something.
I’m guessing it has holes inside allowing it to be bolted. That would reduce the outside footprint. Otherwise yeah that’s pretty fucking dumb. Cars that weigh more than that go flying in tornados.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I’m guessing it has holes inside allowing it to be bolted. That would reduce the outside footprint. Otherwise yeah that’s pretty fucking dumb. Cars that weigh more than that go flying in tornados.
i'm pretty sure it i saw anchors

i'm prepared
032b5190d9cb76266ef5473823c4abc3.png

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
still prepping my move, the last thing i'll do is the electrical, i'm gonna use wagos any rewiring i do in this home.
b393d3a604414d75d39fbeef19cd3d70.png

1. i hate wirenuts, and every other time i opened up a receptical in this house they seemingly fell apart (which is worrysome)
2. if i'm gonna rewire recepticals i'm probably gonna be upgrading the light switches to smart and they all take up the entire space of a 1gange box
f143a8da07983cfc024135212a642241.png

theres just no room for 3 or 4 wirenuts anymore

and yes, i made it a point to specifically buy the wago brand and not the chinesium brand cuz only wagos are ul certified.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Had my whole house water softener installed professionally when I had a new well/pump installed. Area known for red dirt coming from the iron in the ground. Very hard without a softener.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
still prepping my move, the last thing i'll do is the electrical, i'm gonna use wagos any rewiring i do in this home.

1. i hate wirenuts, and every other time i opened up a receptical in this house they seemingly fell apart (which is worrysome)
2. if i'm gonna rewire recepticals i'm probably gonna be upgrading the light switches to smart and they all take up the entire space of a 1gange box

and yes, i made it a point to specifically buy the wago brand and not the chinesium brand cuz only wagos are ul certified.

I'm not familiar with these. Are they really smaller than wire nuts? Doesn't look like they'd fit in a box. Also about, what, 500% of the cost of wire nuts?

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I'm getting ready to install some upper cabinets in my laundry room and I was taking a look at the pre-drywall pictures I took of the room and saw I probably can't get both screws into a stud. How bad would it be to only have screw in a stud?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

If you’re replacing everything anyways you may want to check into a few of these. You set up your time zone on it and can put timers into it. There’s a “dusk til dawn” setting so any outdoor lights you want to turn on at sunset and off at sunrise this thing is perfect for it. It adjusts the sunset and sunrise down to the minute for your time zone. I use it for my front porch light at night. Set it 4 years ago and haven’t touched it since, works great.

Leviton VPT24-1PZ Vizia 24-Hour Programmable Indoor Timer with Astronomical Clock

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I'm getting ready to install some upper cabinets in my laundry room and I was taking a look at the pre-drywall pictures I took of the room and saw I probably can't get both screws into a stud. How bad would it be to only have screw in a stud?
You can’t get two screws in a single stud? Like vertically? That’s all you need. My laundry cabinet has one screw in top of the cabinet and one in bottom, on the same stud. Friend of mine did the same.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I'm not familiar with these. Are they really smaller than wire nuts? Doesn't look like they'd fit in a box. Also about, what, 500% of the cost of wire nuts?
not that much more, but it is more expensive, a wirenut is like maybe .05c and wagos cost .50c per

i said fuck no to wirenuts since i'm doing final wiring to move out, i changed out a light housing on a ladder and i had to balance the stupid ceiling light on my bicep while on a stool and wiring 2 wires, only for it to loose grip and fell to the floor.

i then remember i had a 5pack of wagos in my electrical bucket and it was just click, click and thats it.

and yea i was rewiring a double gange smart light and with all the wingnuts in there i had to shove it in and "crunch".

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
not that much more, but it is more expensive, a wirenut is like maybe .05c and wagos cost .50c per

i said fuck no to wirenuts since i'm doing final wiring to move out, i changed out a light housing on a ladder and i had to balance the stupid ceiling light on my bicep while on a stool and wiring 2 wires, only for it to loose grip and fell to the floor.

i then remember i had a 5pack of wagos in my electrical bucket and it was just click, click and thats it.

and yea i was rewiring a double gange smart light and with all the wingnuts in there i had to shove it in and "crunch".

I am intrigued. Must investigate.