Home Improvement

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The hardware was attached to the studs, that all stayed in the studs, the arms are what failed. My fiancé has a fuck ton of clothes. View attachment 360310

Those are what failed. They stayed in the wall as I have them screwed into the studs, im not using the nails they come with.
That’s ridiculous. Tell her to downsize or wedding is off.

I’d just add more arms so there’s one on each stud. You could also add one or two of the vertical poles that are made for those. They run all the way to the floor and provide more support.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I’m building a pergola on our new patio. Probably only 1/3 of the way done. Had to get inventive since I’m doing it by myself. Bungee cord to hold the level, random 2x4 scrap to hold boards up. (The makeshift thing on top of the post. The 2x2s are actually holding the posts plumb.) Will post progress as I go, hoping to be done before the the 4th if weather and my back both hold out.

480D9B42-041A-4986-B65E-0C748907082C.jpegF97867D8-CC91-4877-8075-EEA82A5AFC66.jpeg26A97FE4-6581-4BCC-AEB6-FA90B85E1E4F.jpeg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I’m building a pergola on our new patio. Probably only 1/3 of the way done. Had to get inventive since I’m doing it by myself. Bungee cord to hold the level, random 2x4 scrap to hold boards up. (The makeshift thing on top of the post. The 2x2s are actually holding the posts plumb.) Will post progress as I go, hoping to be done before the the 4th if weather and my back both hold out.

View attachment 360343View attachment 360344View attachment 360345

Good luck. Looks good so far.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The hardware was attached to the studs, that all stayed in the studs, the arms are what failed. My fiancé has a fuck ton of clothes. View attachment 360310

Those are what failed. They stayed in the wall as I have them screwed into the studs, im not using the nails they come with.
Oh yea i had those, thise are bottom rung in strengthb cuz your relying on the expsnding anchor to hold the weight and eventualky itll slip cuz uts fucking plastic.

Imo upgtade to at least some sort of rubbermaid tge rail system is super strong, or take a pic is better

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

Before i moved i was researching putting a simple canopy on my pergula

The house im at now has an entertsinment slab that seems to be a good candidate for a pergula id like to see your journey

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is seriously my favorite thread on the site. Guns thread is a close second, but this one wins. So many great ideas and advice.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
This is seriously my favorite thread on the site. Guns thread is a close second, but this one wins. So many great ideas and advice.
Heh, reading this thread makes me anxious because it gives my imagination the juice it needs to start thinking of all they different ways my house is in need of repair or soon could be.

The posters here are indeed quite helpful. Perhaps more of a commentary on myself then.

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
"Finished" my steps. Quotation marks as I'm going to do a brick second skin and limestone pavers on top when I get time.
IMG_20210630_075020_569.jpg

Edit: need sweeping and a quick fettle to tidy up too.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man

Looks good. I'm hoping to have my house extended early next year (I can't get a builder before then as it seems the entire country is having work done using money they would have spent on holidays). After that's done I'm building a deck out back and was going to stick a pergola on, very similar to how you're doing it. Are you painting or staining the wood? I'm intending to do mine a dark grey (I think).

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Before i moved i was researching putting a simple canopy on my pergula

The house im at now has an entertsinment slab that seems to be a good candidate for a pergula id like to see your journey
We will be doing the shade thing, on one side for sure, and probably on top. It’s just non stop sun from like noon to sunset back there. I’ll keep the thread updated. Unfortunately I probably can’t start again until Friday. It’s raining all day today and good chance tomorrow. Sucks as I got on a roll and made good progress but my back needs a rest I guess.

Looks good. I'm hoping to have my house extended early next year (I can't get a builder before then as it seems the entire country is having work done using money they would have spent on holidays). After that's done I'm building a deck out back and was going to stick a pergola on, very similar to how you're doing it. Are you painting or staining the wood? I'm intending to do mine a dark grey (I think).
We will stain or paint it next year. Probably stain as that would look better with the rough sawn look I think. We talked about staining it before we put it up but she wanted to wait. I’m already regretting not pushing the issue because once this is up there’s going to be so much wood intersections it’s going to be a pita.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
We will be doing the shade thing, on one side for sure, and probably on top. It’s just non stop sun from like noon to sunset back there. I’ll keep the thread updated. Unfortunately I probably can’t start again until Friday. It’s raining all day today and good chance tomorrow. Sucks as I got on a roll and made good progress but my back needs a rest I guess.
What about that wooden lattice pseudo privacy screen?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I took possession today and this is the hodge podge closet i have to take apart

Painting closets flat white is fine right? I ll have to patch so many holes first
20210630_093454.jpg

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
20210630_100047.jpg

I plan to knock out the driwall in the niddle and just add 2, 36in doors sounds like a plan?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
What about that wooden lattice pseudo privacy screen?
Lattice kind of sucks. It gets dislodged with wind pretty easy and doesn’t age well, splits apart. I have an idea I’m going to try instead, not sure how it’ll turn out but in my head it’s good. I’m going to do a plank half wall with 1x6’s with a small shelf at the top for drinks / standing. Just on the side with the bushes.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
View attachment 360398

I plan to knock out the driwall in the niddle and just add 2, 36in doors sounds like a plan?
Is that load bearing? Probably not but check first. If not load bearing then yeah, I’d make that a 72” bifold door instead. Also, most closet interiors are flat white unless it’s a walk in.

1625066719707.jpeg

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
View attachment 360398

Sounds like a plan. I doubt thats loadbearing, but it's worth checking. I wouldn't do bifold doors ever anywhere if it can be avoided. They always screw up after a while. Know what might look really nice? A couple of hanging doors on rollers. It's not bad price wise, especially if you build the doors yourself, which isn't hard because you don't have to fit them as precisely as a standard door. Look for hardware like this:

Keep in mind that your carpet will have holes (can't remember if you addressed that), so you need to plan for what's going to be on the floor, and how you can make it look good with the doors closed (so the new bit of flooring where the wall currently is doesn't show).

Good luck. That's a great project - small enough that you can get it finished in a reasonable time. Very satisfying.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Sounds like a plan. I doubt thats loadbearing, but it's worth checking. I wouldn't do bifold doors ever anywhere if it can be avoided. They always screw up after a while. Know what might look really nice? A couple of hanging doors on rollers. It's not bad price wise, especially if you build the doors yourself, which isn't hard because you don't have to fit them as precisely as a standard door. Look for hardware like this:

Keep in mind that your carpet will have holes (can't remember if you addressed that), so you need to plan for what's going to be on the floor, and how you can make it look good with the doors closed (so the new bit of flooring where the wall currently is doesn't show).

Good luck. That's a great project - small enough that you can get it finished in a reasonable time. Very satisfying.
I would have recommended hanging doors but it doesn’t look like he has room to roll them out of the way all the way. I had sliding doors like that where I couldn’t open all the way and it drove me nuts. I have a 60” opening but can only open 30” at a time. Just a preference thing for me. If it had full clearance then sliding all the way for me.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I would have recommended hanging doors but it doesn’t look like he has room to roll them out of the way all the way. I had sliding doors like that where I couldn’t open all the way and it drove me nuts. I have a 60” opening but can only open 30” at a time. Just a preference thing for me. If it had full clearance then sliding all the way for me.
Yea these two pseudo clisets take up 3/4 of the wall, and i do not believe its a load bearing wall, iguesstimated the distance and right below that wall is my kitchen with empty space so i guess i gotta find a youtube on how to do this. (Finally get to use my sawzall for something other than tree limbs)

Yes for the carpet i will cut a donor strip from the inside of another closet and glue the seems, i did this on my last house and it was okish looking.