Home Improvement

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
A brand new saw that won't start is very unusual. Are you sure it doesn't have a fuel shutoff or something? Doubt it, mine doesn't, but maybe. I'd take it back to where you bought it and tell them WTF?

Failing that, small engine troubleshooting is pretty straightforward. It needs 3 things to run, air, fuel, and spark. Rule out air by taking off the air filter. If it will start without the air filter then the filter is plugged. Second give it a tiny shot of starting fluid directly into the carburetor. If it won't fire on the starting fluid then it's probably a problem with spark. If it will run for a second and die with the starting fluid then you're not getting fuel into the engine. Check the fuel shut off and the fuel tank and then go to ungunking the carb/fuel line/fuel filter. None of this should be an issue on a brand new saw though.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
This is what I did. I had two stihl saws that are 20 years old and got tired of the starting issues. This ms250 is brand new never used. Bought it a month ago and just now getting around to using it.

Random question @lurkingdirk and Dandai Dandai what safety gear do you wear when using a chainsaw? Apron? Helmet? Steel toe boots? Etc
It depends on what I'm using it for. I always wear hearing protection, but I only wear a helmet (with a mesh face shield) if I'm cutting down a tree or cutting limbs from a tree I just felled. An apron or kevlar pants are a good idea, and I would never tell someone NOT to use them, but they are expensive so I don't have any. I also just wear normal shoes. Steel toe shoes are fine, but I don't own any and I'm skeptical that they would help much if you needed them in a situation where a chain was biting into your foot.

It's cliche, but your best safety equipment when using a chainsaw is your brain. Stay alert and focused on what your doing. Be vigilant about your surroundings and have a clean work area so if you do have to move quick, you don't stupidly trip on something. Keep your chain sharp and don't overextend your body position. Develop muscle memory for locking your chain with the chain brake.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
It's cliche, but your best safety equipment when using a chainsaw is your brain.

Sooo, not like the gardner my landlord called after a windstorm, who was standing on a ladder cutting a trunk suspended directly above him, wearing flip flops and no PPE of any kind, not even sunglasses?

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Sooo, not like the gardner my landlord called after a windstorm, who was standing on a ladder cutting a trunk suspended directly above him, wearing flip flops and no PPE of any kind, not even sunglasses?
I can't say I've never used a chainsaw on a ladder before, but I CAN say I've never used one wearing flip flops. Even falling on an idle chain will cut you up pretty good.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
eyewear is the one ppe i have everywhere.

since moving, i've been using buckets and bucket organizers as my new way of organization

i have 1 bucket w/ only plumbing like tap and pipe cutter and wrench

and an electrical bucket, etc

in each of these buckets the 4 constant duplicates i have is
1. tape measure
2. sharpie
3. utility knife
4. eyewear

idk how long i'll be using this system, but it's working so far to keep organized, but yea i don't fuck around w/ my eyes, i'm fucking colorblind and near sighted, thats still better than have 50% less eye!

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The one time I climbed a ladder in flip flops I nearly died. Glad I wasn't carrying a chainsaw.

• 1Solidarity

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Update. Ran stihl ms250 through starting procedure from yesterday and got it to run. Musta been the old gas. Thanks forum bros.

Not a bad chainsaw but it can’t get through some of the trees I have down. Believe it’s an 18” chain.

Suggestions on another chainsaw/blade size for larger shit? Something stihl, maybe more torquey?

Fucker

Log Wizard
Update. Ran stihl ms250 through starting procedure from yesterday and got it to run. Musta been the old gas. Thanks forum bros.

Not a bad chainsaw but it can’t get through some of the trees I have down. Believe it’s an 18” chain.

Suggestions on another chainsaw/blade size for larger shit? Something stihl, maybe more torquey?
Sharpen your chain, numbnuts.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

if you bought the premix 50:1 in a can, there should be zero 100% issues w/ it and it doesn't matter if it's old b/c that can gas would not have ethenol which is what fucks up engines in the first place, so it's something else or you really didn't RTFM

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole

Doubling what fucker said. One tip to look for is when cutting something you should be seeing large chunks flying out, not finer saw dust. If your debris looks like saw dust your chain is dull. Dremel has a nice attachment for sharping chainsaw blades

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
if you bought the premix 50:1 in a can, there should be zero 100% issues w/ it and it doesn't matter if it's old b/c that can gas would not have ethenol which is what fucks up engines in the first place, so it's something else or you really didn't RTFM
Dealer put in regular fuel they had laying around when I bought it. I emptied it and put in premix

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Buy new chainsaw and I have to sharpen the blade? Man wtf why is small engine tools so much work.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Dealer put in regular fuel they had laying around when I bought it. I emptied it and put in premix
yea just keep buying the premix then, or you can of course just mix yourself with ethanol free gas, use gasbuddy to find where, not all stations have ethanol free options

• 1Like