Home Improvement

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Safe to assume you’re familiar with priming and using the choke?
There’s no priming bulb on my ms250. I flip it all the way down to closed choke for cold start. Give it a few tugs. Then to half choke, etc.

nothing. Maybe the carb is flooded

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Fuck chainsaws. Can’t get my brand new Stihl ms250 to start. Yes I’ve read the manual and watched YouTube videos. Pulled the spark plug and it looked fine. Tried to clear out the engine in case it was flooded. Put new fuel in it. Jfhslfifbsh

Safe to assume you’re familiar with priming and using the choke?

And you did mix your fuel to the proper ratio, right? Most Stihls are 50:1 I think, but you can google yours. Also make sure the chain lock isn't engaged.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Also try starting it with the throttle fully engaged. If you can't do it with your hand, pull a zip tie around the throttle. It'll clear a flooded carb almost immediately.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
And you did mix your fuel to the proper ratio, right? Most Stihls are 50:1 I think, but you can google yours. Also make sure the chain lock isn't engaged.
Wait I thought the chain lock is supposed to be engaged? (Chain locked)

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Also try starting it with the throttle fully engaged. If you can't do it with your hand, pull a zip tie around the throttle. It'll clear a flooded carb almost immediately.
Flip it to I position when I do this yes?

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Yeah. And the "safety experts" say the chain lock should be engaged, I find mine never start as easily if they are. I'm happy to be wrong about that, though.
I also never start with the chain lock engaged for the same reason. Seems to me that it’s safe enough so long as you’re not starting near something you don’t want the chain to hit.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Ok thanks for the info fellas. Gonna take a break from it for a few hours and revisit.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I also never start with the chain lock engaged for the same reason. Seems to me that it’s safe enough so long as you’re not starting near something you don’t want the chain to hit.

And a lot of people start it with the handle between their legs, I always put my foot on the rear of the chainsaw while it's on the ground. Get a solid pull that way.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Ok thanks for the info fellas. Gonna take a break from it for a few hours and revisit.

Seriously, if this is an ongoing problem just replace the saw with something that you know will start easily. I had a pressure washer that I had for a couple years, it didn't have a priming bulb and it was a total bitch to get started. Now that I've replaced it, I use it more, and it's awesome. No use having tools you have to coddle in order for them to work as intended.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Seriously, if this is an ongoing problem just replace the saw with something that you know will start easily. I had a pressure washer that I had for a couple years, it didn't have a priming bulb and it was a total bitch to get started. Now that I've replaced it, I use it more, and it's awesome. No use having tools you have to coddle in order for them to work as intended.
I was surprised that none of my stihl saws had a priming bulb but they honestly don’t need them. Both saws start easy with full choke for about 5 pulls and then a single pull on half choke. My smaller 16” bar stihl had sat for a year/18 months and still started up no problem. I was impressed (admittedly I stored it with stabil and ethanol free mixed fuel so that helped).

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
And a lot of people start it with the handle between their legs, I always put my foot on the rear of the chainsaw while it's on the ground. Get a solid pull that way.
I drop start all my chain saws. Any other method seems uncomfortable and way less controlled. I could understand engaging the chain brake if you’re going to start it while bent over and only controlling it with your foot.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I drop start all my chain saws. Any other method seems uncomfortable and way less controlled. I could understand engaging the chain brake if you’re going to start it while bent over and only controlling it with your foot.

I drop start, too. But one saw I have has a really broad piece that's under the throttle hand, big enough to get my whole foot on. That combined with a hand on the grip is very controlled.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
This is what I did. I had two stihl saws that are 20 years old and got tired of the starting issues. This ms250 is brand new never used. Bought it a month ago and just now getting around to using it.

Random question lurkingdirk lurkingdirk and Dandai Dandai what safety gear do you wear when using a chainsaw? Apron? Helmet? Steel toe boots? Etc

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Last summer my boss’s son was working with the school facilities group for his summer job. He was watching a guy chainsaw and it kicked back and took him in the throat. His son had to watch the dude bleed out before help came. Fuck chainsaws!

• 1WTF

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
This is what I did. I had two stihl saws that are 20 years old and got tired of the starting issues. This ms250 is brand new never used. Bought it a month ago and just now getting around to using it.

Random question lurkingdirk lurkingdirk and Dandai Dandai what safety gear do you wear when using a chainsaw? Apron? Helmet? Steel toe boots? Etc

I'm always wearing steel toed footwear when working outside, and if I'm using a chainsaw I wear safety glasses and hearing protection.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Last summer my boss’s son was working with the school facilities group for his summer job. He was watching a guy chainsaw and it kicked back and took him in the throat. His son had to watch the dude bleed out before help came. Fuck chainsaws!

Chainsaws don't kick like that unless 1. you don't know what you're doing, or 2. you're sawing into wood that potentially has nails or similar in it.