Home Improvement

Fucker

Log Wizard
I HATE chainsaws. Had a winter storm that blew down a giant tree across my driveway after getting 3 feet of snow. I bitched and moaned every miserable second cutting that fucking thing up AND having to move that shit in deep snow.

• 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 user

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Update. Ran stihl ms250 through starting procedure from yesterday and got it to run. Musta been the old gas. Thanks forum bros.

Not a bad chainsaw but it can’t get through some of the trees I have down. Believe it’s an 18” chain.

Suggestions on another chainsaw/blade size for larger shit? Something stihl, maybe more torquey?
I just looked up how powerful the ms250 is. 45cc isn’t bad, low end of the middle of the road. What are you cutting up that’s giving you trouble? It might sound like I’m fucking with you, but if you have cut through any amount of soil or embedded soil in tree bark, your chain needs to be sharpened. It’s annoyingly easy to dull a chain.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, sharpening the chain is the worst part about running a chainsaw. Pretty much need to do it after every tank of gas and probably sooner if you stuck the tip in the dirt at any point.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, sharpening the chain is the worst part about running a chainsaw. Pretty much need to do it after every tank of gas and probably sooner if you stuck the tip in the dirt at any point.
Well shit.. thanks fellas. Guess I’ll YouTube how to do that today.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I just looked up how powerful the ms250 is. 45cc isn’t bad, low end of the middle of the road. What are you cutting up that’s giving you trouble? It might sound like I’m fucking with you, but if you have cut through any amount of soil or embedded soil in tree bark, your chain needs to be sharpened. It’s annoyingly easy to dull a chain.
Just some larger downed trees/branches. I went out again yesterday to do more cutting and it wasn’t as bad.

I have a few down trees that are fucking huge (like maybe a few feet in diameter) - I don’t even know how I’d cut those… probably not with this chainsaw

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
So I have a 15 year old stihl weed eater I like that uses plastic wire.

Id like something that can clear thicker brush.. Would these metal blade weed eaters be a good option?

I don’t have any experience with those, but I will say you absolutely want to be wearing eye protection and probably a face shield using one of those. It would also behoove you to bring a buddy because if you piss off a hornets nest and get dozens of stings you might not make it to a medical facility on your own.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I don’t have any experience with those, but I will say you absolutely want to be wearing eye protection and probably a face shield using one of those. It would also behoove you to bring a buddy because if you piss off a hornets nest and get dozens of stings you might not make it to a medical facility on your own.
I’ve got full face shield, helmet, and chaps now. Waiting for my haix AirPower xr200 boots to come in. I’m pretty big on safety, no budget there for me.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Looking at the stihl fs 460 or 560. Doesn’t seem like it’s something stihl dealers stock. Gotta order.

husqvarna has options but damn are there no dealers anywhere near me other than Lowe’s which seems to only do sales.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
4a35ecad96933b747a83988156333c13.png

it actually has decent ratings, i'm gonna see how it does

i won't be able to reach most of the my yard tho, i can only find 1 50ft 12gauge cord, i have no idea where my other one is.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Looking at the stihl fs 460 or 560. Doesn’t seem like it’s something stihl dealers stock. Gotta order.

husqvarna has options but damn are there no dealers anywhere near me other than Lowe’s which seems to only do sales.
you don't have a tractor and lawn and supply or one of those local lawn stores? thats where you'll find husqvarna

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
4a35ecad96933b747a83988156333c13.png

it actually has decent ratings, i'm gonna see how it does

i won't be able to reach most of the my yard tho, i can only find 1 50ft 12gauge cord, i have no idea where my other one is.
You can just rent a real one. Dethatching isn’t something you need to be doing every year. Just another thing you’re going to be storing that barely gets any use.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
You can just rent a real one. Dethatching isn’t something you need to be doing every year. Just another thing you’re going to be storing that barely gets any use.
it's 70bucks for a rental and all the youtubes show the electric being pretty awesome. i have a regular true temper rake and it's already pulling up tons of thatch, and i have a half dead lawn it's already so much

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
it's 70bucks for a rental and all the youtubes show the electric being pretty awesome. i have a regular true temper rake and it's already pulling up tons of thatch, and i have a half dead lawn it's already so much
Ok well make sure you click the coupon checkbox to save $8.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
The thatch layer does have a purpose so don’t overdo it. Obviously it’s too thick if water sheets off of it and can’t get to the ground, but removing ALL thatch and/or dethatching too frequently will stress the fuck out of the turf. There might be other equal quality products, but I recommend D-Thatch from Greene County Fert. Be prepared to mow more frequently as the thatch breaks down.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The thatch layer does have a purpose so don’t overdo it. Obviously it’s too thick if water sheets off of it and can’t get to the ground, but removing ALL thatch and/or dethatching too frequently will stress the fuck out of the turf. There might be other equal quality products, but I recommend D-Thatch from Greene County Fert. Be prepared to mow more frequently as the thatch breaks down.
yea i only dethatched trouble spots back in ks, but this entire lawn is fucked

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I have a neighbor that dethatches every single year. I ask why but they just say “it needs it, we do it every year” and I say ok and leave it alone. They’re the only neighbors that do this so I’m not sure why they don’t see that everyone else’s lawn is fine and realize it’s unnecessary.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I have a neighbor that dethatches every single year. I ask why but they just say “it needs it, we do it every year” and I say ok and leave it alone. They’re the only neighbors that do this so I’m not sure why they don’t see that everyone else’s lawn is fine and realize it’s unnecessary.
does his lawn look good?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
does his lawn look good?
It looks fine from a distance. It looks like shit for a couple weeks after they dethatch. I don’t really know if it looks better/worse up close, haven’t really paid attention enough to compare it directly to his neighbors that don’t do it. From across the street there’s no difference to my eyes.

Don’t you only need to do it if it’s so thick it is causing mold / rot type issues?