Home Improvement

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Low blow about the rubles, but I really appreciate the advice. Got some thinking to do.
if you really want grass and are going to do it, this is the last season you can be lazy about leaves, as they'll kill the grass your worked hard to grow

(the weeds are probably fine tho, lulz)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gator

Molten Core Raider
Hello functioning adults. Long time reader, first time poster. I am contemplating replacing (or having replaced) the sink in our kitchen. Current Sink is enameled cast iron 2 basin sink and I am looking to replace it with a modern single-basin work station sink. The current sink measures 33" x 22" externally, which appears to be standard. When I try to measure the dimensions of the cutout from underneath, my not quite exact measurement is something in the range of ~31.5" x ~21".

Can I purchase, more or less, any drop in sink that measures 33x22? Or do I need to get one that has a similar or exact cutout template? For example one of the particular sinks I am looking at on the home depot website has all of the appropriate dimensions, but in the instructions the cutout for the depth (front to back) is only 16". So I guess the actual question is, if the cutout is too large (even though the sink dimensions are almost identical) will I not be able to properly install the sink without redoing the countertop?

Thanks in advance!
I removed one of those cast iron sinks a few years ago in my kitchen. Make sure you have some help because of the weight. It's a PITA to get out especially if its rusted to the counter like mine was.
I don’t want to paint my house white.. Looking at lighter earthy tones at the moment. Paint will go on cinderblock and wood.
I know several people that have used Behr exterior down here in south Florida with no complaints. Just make sure the surface is cleaned properly and do more than one coat.
Ive been reading about symptoms for poor IAQ and I feel like I had most of these in past few weeks, especially the headaches. I pretty much never get headaches.
I agree with the other posts about the fireplace but just another thought. You don't by chance burn gas in your house? Headaches can be a sign of carbon monoxide poisoning. If you do, you might want to check for that to make sure you don't have a leak somewhere.
I'm assuming this works on oak leaves because oak leaves are heavy. I have several oaks in my front yard and they lose the majority of their leaves around this time of year. I love the trees but the leaves can get pretty annoying. I just don't know if its $600 annoying. My other idea and cheaper option would be just to buy a push mower with the bag system. I just don't know how well that would work.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm assuming this works on oak leaves because oak leaves are heavy. I have several oaks in my front yard and they lose the majority of their leaves around this time of year. I love the trees but the leaves can get pretty annoying. I just don't know if its $600 annoying. My other idea and cheaper option would be just to buy a push mower with the bag system. I just don't know how well that would work.
leaves fill up bags FAST, especially push mower bags cuz their small

what i did last year b/c i just moved and had 5 trees to deal w/ (had 2 previously) is just mulch that shit.

however if you have a big "pile" (like the concentrated area where your leaves fall down) it's counter intuitive, but you can blow those leaves OUT and spread them out so you can mulch more and better.

mulched leaves break down fast and practically disappear into the grass unless you had a huge clump.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone know if those chippers work on walnuts? I normally just mulch leaves instead of raking them but the stupid walnuts start dropping before the leaves and grass stops growing and my mower cannot handle them.

• 1Like

Brad2770

I have been doing lawn and pest control for 10 years and only met one guy that had this, but he loves it. Saved money on his own mulch for beds, kept the yard clean of leaves during the winter and the hose is strong enough to pick up (and mulch) acorns. The guy has about 10 oak trees in his lawn (about a 12k lawn). The machine itself works well. How much is your free time worth and could you use the mulch?

Anyone know if those chippers work on walnuts? I normally just mulch leaves instead of raking them but the stupid walnuts start dropping before the leaves and grass stops growing and my mower cannot handle them.

It works on acorns.

I should probably clarify: I haven’t seen the machine in action. And I’m pretty sure that he uses the hose to pick up and mulch the acorns. His lawn is always taken care of when I arrive, but I have seen piles of acorns in his yard a few times, so I do think he may rake those up. He has told me he sells mulched acorns to guys with deer feeders and deer leases, so not sure if that is an option for any of you, but I’m also talking about a 70+ year old retired vet that works on his yard all the time.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Gator

Molten Core Raider
Yea, I just need to stop being lazy and get out outside and blow them into a pile when it gets bad around this time of year. I've been saying that but it never happens. I just jump on my riding mower and mulch them even though it's too concentrated for the area. (7 oaks close together in the front yard)

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I agree with the other posts about the fireplace but just another thought. You don't by chance burn gas in your house? Headaches can be a sign of carbon monoxide poisoning. If you do, you might want to check for that to make sure you don't have a leak somewhere.

My furnace is a gas furnace, but I also have carbon monoxide detectors on every floor, including one right outside the furnace room. They have never gone off.

Gator

Molten Core Raider
My furnace is a gas furnace, but I also have carbon monoxide detectors on every floor, including one right outside the furnace room. They have never gone off.
Ok, perfect! Nothing is worst than the horrific stories of carbon monoxide poisoning. I had a scare at my cousin's house one evening because someone bumped the gas burner on on the stove. Well no one noticed and it burned all night with the exhaust fan off. We all were awoken early morning when the detectors went off.

• 1Mother of God

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
KY now and yeah, 10K sq ft sounds about right. Good point about lifting the canopy of the trees and raking leaves. This is all becoming a bigger and bigger PITA. Im not even sure its worth doing anymore

Heres what it looked like in the fall

View attachment 401322View attachment 401323
As others have pointed out, that is deeply shaded and any turf grass planted there won’t thrive and will wither within weeks of sprouting. Even “shade tolerant” turf grasses require 3 hours of direct sunlight per day.

There are ground cover solutions if you’re trying to avoid mud (not as aesthetically appealing as turf imo). If she’s dead set on turf there, “perfect” would be taking at least SOME trees out and landscaping around the remaining trees in the turf areas; “good” would be lifting the canopy, but you’re still gonna have deep shade areas where nothing will grow.

Also aerating and overseeding in spring is gonna give you lots of weed breakthroughs, so align expectations accordingly.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
If she’s dead set on turf there, “perfect” would be taking at least SOME trees out and landscaping around the remaining trees in the turf areas; “good” would be lifting the canopy, but you’re still gonna have deep shade areas where nothing will grow.
shes probably visioning having the kid play in the backyard for hours. heck last week i had the neighborhood kids playing in my lawn (i came out cuz i kept getting camera alerts), and the parents said the kids like playing on my lawn.

i said yea i understand, even tho i only had half a season, half the lawn, i nuked and replaced w/ KBG and it feelz so much nicer, the entire cul de sac has zoiysa, which looks and feels like matted hair and is ugly.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
shes probably visioning having the kid play in the backyard for hours. heck last week i had the neighborhood kids playing in my lawn (i came out cuz i kept getting camera alerts), and the parents said the kids like playing on my lawn.

i said yea i understand, even tho i only had half a season, half the lawn, i nuked and replaced w/ KBG and it feelz so much nicer, the entire cul de sac has zoiysa, which looks and feels like matted hair and is ugly.
Zoysia is definitely not appealing to me either, especially in the transition zone where it's gonna be dormant 3-4 months of the year. I don't think anyone around me has zoysia here in FL. I'm sure it'd struggle with fungus and disease with all the rain and high humidity.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Zoysia is definitely not appealing to me either, especially in the transition zone where it's gonna be dormant 3-4 months of the year. I don't think anyone around me has zoysia here in FL. I'm sure it'd struggle with fungus and disease with all the rain and high humidity.
i over seeded the rest of zoysia lawn w/ kbg recently, i just hope it'll take over the zoysia, i don't want to nuke it since it's still grass and honestly when i did nuke half the lawn one neighbor asked me what was going on and i said "weeds, this lawn is half weeds, dude even your lawn has weeds, ya'll just got used to it (everyone has clover or huge patches of shit)"

i'll just nuke the backyard for now since i established my property line vs. culdesac (they have a guy riding a mower since our backyards connect to the lake)

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Lawn grass is just ridiculous to me. Talk about creating a full time job for yourself. Learn to love a nice brown lawn and save tons of time/water/money. I'm usually done mowing by mid-July and it can't come soon enough. Your kids will get more scrapes and scratches but that's just going to keep them from being pussies. If I was in some suburban cul de sac with a bunch of judgmental neighbors and felt like I *had* to have a green lawn, I would get the fake grass and not look back. There are better things to do with your time than worrying over lawn grass.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Lawn grass is just ridiculous to me. Talk about creating a full time job for yourself. Learn to love a nice brown lawn and save tons of time/water/money. I'm usually done mowing by mid-July and it can't come soon enough. Your kids will get more scrapes and scratches but that's just going to keep them from being pussies. If I was in some suburban cul de sac with a bunch of judgmental neighbors and felt like I *had* to have a green lawn, I would get the fake grass and not look back. There are better things to do with your time than worrying over lawn grass.
If you live in a neighborhood you don’t have to worry about watering cows 16 hours a day. Lawns in a neighborhood take like 30-40 minutes once or twice a week to cut, and some people enjoy it cause you can just go outside and space out for a bit. Oh god an hour a week for like three months, the horror. Who cares about kids scraping their knees, they get plenty of that from the pavement and trees they play on. There are better things to worry about that watering fucking cows.

It’s really weird that you feel the need to post how much you hate lawns a couple times every season. Why the fuck do you care if people have lawns lol

Last edited:
  • 1Worf

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
i over seeded the rest of zoysia lawn w/ kbg recently, i just hope it'll take over the zoysia, i don't want to nuke it since it's still grass and honestly when i did nuke half the lawn one neighbor asked me what was going on and i said "weeds, this lawn is half weeds, dude even your lawn has weeds, ya'll just got used to it (everyone has clover or huge patches of shit)"

i'll just nuke the backyard for now since i established my property line vs. culdesac (they have a guy riding a mower since our backyards connect to the lake)
For the life of me I can’t remember the name of it, but there’s an herbacide (or maybe a technique?) that will only target the zoysia. I might be thinking of timing - if you spray it in the middle of summer while the kbg is dormant and the zoysia is not, the zoysia will be effected but the kbg will not.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Why the fuck do you care if people have lawns lol

It's like a psychosis. It doesn't affect me personally, but it just seems so insane to me and if a neighborhood organization tried to make me do it I would be furious.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
It's like a psychosis. It doesn't affect me personally, but it just seems so insane to me and if a neighborhood organization tried to make me do it I would be furious.

HOAs don’t care if you weed and feed your lawn, it can look like complete shit if you want in that regard. I’m in a nice neighborhood and there’s several houses that have overgrown lawns, weeds and dandelions everywhere. No one cares. The only time I’ve ever seen an HOA get involved is if you are letting it get like 2 feet high and your house looks like it has been abandoned in a field. They still can’t even do anything about it, they can just send you a complaint letter.

There may be some exemptions to that statement in some rich gated neighborhood type places, I have no experience in those~

I can completely understand bitching about people who mow and maintain multiple acre size yards, that take them hours to mow and thousands of dollars a year to maintain. I see people way out in the country with yards so big they look like golf courses. Bitching about 1/4 acre lots in a high density neighborhood is ridiculous though, it’s not even comparable to a part time job in time commitment, it’s a couple hours a week to maintain for a few months a year.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Jesus Christ that Medium article auto-embedded that giant picture and the fucking link doesn't even work.

The Social and Ecological Downfall of Lawn Culture

Obviously there's varying levels of lawns and areas where they make less impact than others. I'm not going to tell you that your personal lawn is immoral or anything, I just think the whole concept is kind of wacky. And I'm glad to hear that your HOA isn't that insane about it, but I think some are. From the article...

This episode tells the story of Florida homeowner and senior citizen Joe Prudente who was arrested in 2008 for a lawn that was too brown and too weedy. There are stories of others who have faced a similar fate, like Texas residents Rick Yoes, who was jailed for his overgrown yard, and Gerry Suttle, who was arrested for failing to mow the lot she owned across from her home.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Jesus Christ that Medium article auto-embedded that giant picture and the fucking link doesn't even work.

The Social and Ecological Downfall of Lawn Culture

Obviously there's varying levels of lawns and areas where they make less impact than others. I'm not going to tell you that your personal lawn is immoral or anything, I just think the whole concept is kind of wacky. And I'm glad to hear that your HOA isn't that insane about it, but I think some are. From the article...
I read the article, and those cases are extreme and would piss me off too. I just know they aren’t the norm, there’s likely very few examples of that per 100’s of thousands of neighborhoods. HOAs are generally run by your lazy neighbors and they don’t want confrontation.

Gator

Molten Core Raider
It doesn't have to be an HOA case and I think that article takes some thing out of context and puts the blame mainly on HOAs. If I'm not mistaken most of those extreme cases are vs city ordinances. Some if not most cities have ordinances on how tall your grass can get before you are fined because it becomes an eyesore for the neighborhood. Well, if you don't pay it becomes snowball effect and the courts step in. Depending on the courts and the person standing their ground usually ends in hefty fines and or arrest. Extreme circumstances that could be avoided which blame could be put on both sides.

I have a few neighbors that are all about their yard care and it's a weekly routine. It keeps me in check and forces me to go outside keep things tiddy so I don't have the worst looking yard. I like to stay in the middle. My oaks destroyed my irrigation system which I need to fix. It's a pretty simple job renting a trencher and retrenching but it's getting out there and doing it. It's fun digging in South Florida, 4-6 inches of dirt then solid limestone. So fun my dad bought himself a jackhammer🤣