Home Improvement

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
It doesn't have to be an HOA case and I think that article takes some thing out of context and puts the blame mainly on HOAs. If I'm not mistaken most of those extreme cases are vs city ordinances. Some if not most cities have ordinances on how tall your grass can get before you are fined because it becomes an eyesore for the neighborhood. Well, if you don't pay it becomes snowball effect and the courts step in. Depending on the courts and the person standing their ground usually ends in hefty fines and or arrest. Extreme circumstances that could be avoided which blame could be put on both sides.

I have a few neighbors that are all about their yard care and it's a weekly routine. It keeps me in check and forces me to go outside keep things tiddy so I don't have the worst looking yard. I like to stay in the middle. My oaks destroyed my irrigation system which I need to fix. It's a pretty simple job renting a trencher and retrenching but it's getting out there and doing it. It's fun digging in South Florida, 4-6 inches of dirt then solid limestone. So fun my dad bought himself a jackhammer🤣
a lot of the youtubes on volunteer lawnmowing (they make a video on the over growth and they make way more in ads and clout) are about little old ladies that just don't have the money to keep up w/ the lawn no more/ husband died, etc

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
It doesn't have to be an HOA case and I think that article takes some thing out of context and puts the blame mainly on HOAs. If I'm not mistaken most of those extreme cases are vs city ordinances. Some if not most cities have ordinances on how tall your grass can get before you are fined because it becomes an eyesore for the neighborhood. Well, if you don't pay it becomes snowball effect and the courts step in. Depending on the courts and the person standing their ground usually ends in hefty fines and or arrest. Extreme circumstances that could be avoided which blame could be put on both sides.

I have a few neighbors that are all about their yard care and it's a weekly routine. It keeps me in check and forces me to go outside keep things tiddy so I don't have the worst looking yard. I like to stay in the middle. My oaks destroyed my irrigation system which I need to fix. It's a pretty simple job renting a trencher and retrenching but it's getting out there and doing it. It's fun digging in South Florida, 4-6 inches of dirt then solid limestone. So fun my dad bought himself a jackhammer🤣
Yeah, several of the HOA rules we had were based on city ordinances, not something the HOA made up. Shed sq footage, fences not crossing property lines, etc. There were things like mailboxes should all be painted the same color, those were HOA made up shit. People just ignored them, because putting a lien on someone is a pita process that takes like a year and a half and a few court appearances.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
this was a nightmare
20220320_194402.jpg

so i wanted this heated towel rack to turn on when my light switch turns on (there is no other physical switch on it) the connections are on the lower right (you see the 3 plugs hanging out, i'm making sure it's tested before shoving into the wall)

and the light switch is all the way over there by the door, so i had to go through 4 studs, i figured the easiest and not ugly way was to take out the baseboard and cut a long strip of drywall out, and put 4 holes in the studs, in that way, worked out fine.

i know you see an outlet right underneath, thats a gfi outlet for the whirlpool (which is broken and we plan to reno it into a shower anyway)

so far its working just fine

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
this was a nightmare
View attachment 404259

so i wanted this heated towel rack to turn on when my light switch turns on (there is no other physical switch on it) the connections are on the lower right (you see the 3 plugs hanging out, i'm making sure it's tested before shoving into the wall)

and the light switch is all the way over there by the door, so i had to go through 4 studs, i figured the easiest and not ugly way was to take out the baseboard and cut a long strip of drywall out, and put 4 holes in the studs, in that way, worked out fine.

i know you see an outlet right underneath, thats a gfi outlet for the whirlpool (which is broken and we plan to reno it into a shower anyway)

so far its working just fine
Is this for like a barber shop? I’ve never heard of a heated towel rack.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
My dad put a heated rack in my parents’ bedroom back in our old house. Always took showers in there because that thing was absolutely godly. I’ve never encountered one since, though.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Is this for like a barber shop? I’ve never heard of a heated towel rack.

Pretty common in new houses now. Have a towel heated when you need it. Had one in the house the company rented for me in San Antonio.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
solved an issue w/ most of light switches, i guess this house saved on wiring, so most of my rooms are like this
d94f1140b2816996f5b842929ebab8e9.jpg

where the neutral wire is actually a hot/live and i have no neutral wire

i was able to put a pigtail into ground and i guess that is now a neutral/ground wire?

idk, it works and nothing is on fire yet.

Thaloc

Molten Core Raider
i was able to put a pigtail into ground and i guess that is now a neutral/ground wire?

idk, it works and nothing is on fire yet.
That's dangerous, having a hot ground. Sounds like you've got a loose connection somewhere on the neutral.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I don't understand. You're using the ground as a neutral for some kind of smart switch or something?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I don't understand. You're using the ground as a neutral for some kind of smart switch or something?
yea...

power comes into the light (ceiling/fan combo) then it goes out to the swich and in the box is only 1 wire connected to switch, ground b and w

b and w are connected to switch and w is the hot wire.

so in order to use my smart switch, that has 1 ground 1 neutral and 2 live/load

i connect from switch 2 live/load wires to the b and w wire and connect from switch ground and w to ground wire

why it works? Erronius Erronius

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
yea...

power comes into the light (ceiling/fan combo) then it goes out to the swich and in the box is only 1 wire connected to switch, ground b and w

b and w are connected to switch and w is the hot wire.

so in order to use my smart switch, that has 1 ground 1 neutral and 2 live/load

i connect from switch 2 live/load wires to the b and w wire and connect from switch ground and w to ground wire

why it works? Erronius Erronius

Yeah my old house was wired that way so I couldn't use smart switches. Using the ground is kind of a hack but I imagine it works. You're putting a little bit of current on your ground so so you could get some ground loops but I doubt anything in the house is that finicky about ground. Probably the worst that would happen is if your dryer or something got the hot shorted to ground it might fry your smart switches before the breaker blows.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah my old house was wired that way so I couldn't use smart switches. Using the ground is kind of a hack but I imagine it works. You're putting a little bit of current on your ground so so you could get some ground loops but I doubt anything in the house is that finicky about ground. Probably the worst that would happen is if your dryer or something got the hot shorted to ground it might fry your smart switches before the breaker blows.
most of the ground wires in the switches in the house aren't even grounded to the switch, (before i opened them up) theyre just left there in the switch, floating or if there are two switches, the grounds are connected but still not connected to the switch, just floating in the box