Home Improvement

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
BrutulTM BrutulTM hit most of the important stuff earlier.

Using grounds as neutrals is common nowadays, in old homes with devices that need neutrals.

Both the grounds and neutrals generally come back to the (main) panel where they're bonded together. So whatever small amount of current is being returned from the switches will return on the grounds. This is now really frowned upon, but you're in an old building so /shrug.

There's concerns, but there's not really any good alternatives for homeowners unless you feel like re-wiring, and most people don't.

If you ever had a neutral splice break somewhere else in the house, that normal operating current might try jumping over to the ground as it tries to return to the transformer. Probably through your switches. But again.../shrug. It'd be a longshot

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Finshed the guest bath remodel

Before
P1020828-L.jpg

P1020831-L.jpg

After
P1020832a-L.jpg

2022032807193262--5874390052675883725-IMG_2416-L.jpg

New tub, surround, floor countertop and sink. Took me 35 days but I'm old, slow and meticulous.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Finshed the guest bath remodel

Before
P1020828-L.jpg

P1020831-L.jpg

After
P1020832a-L.jpg

2022032807193262--5874390052675883725-IMG_2416-L.jpg

New tub, surround, floor countertop and sink. Took me 35 days but I'm old, slow and meticulous.
I know people who have taken eight years to do a bathroom remodel. A month isn’t bad. Nice work.

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was wondering if anyone might have a recommendation for evergreen screening/privacy bushes/trees that can work in fairly low-light spots. We have a fence-row that has pretty good coverage between random bushes and trees during the warm part of the year, but once fall hits, it all just looks scraggly. I'd like to find something that's fast growing and provides some reasonable year-round coverage. The problem is that during the warm months, the area is pretty shaded from a few tall trees. The canopy is high, but I'm not sure the spot ever really gets direct light once the leaves come in.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Fast growing and year-round coverage? I'm not sure you can combine those. Most evergreen bushes aren't fast growers. You might need to plant something now and manage expectations.

Forsythias grow pretty damn fast, I usually have to trim mine twice per summer.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fast growing and year-round coverage? I'm not sure you can combine those. Most evergreen bushes aren't fast growers. You might need to plant something now and manage expectations.

Forsythias grow pretty damn fast, I usually have to trim mine twice per summer.
Thanks for the suggestion! Fast growing would be nice, but it's the least important part. I guess the very shady environment was my biggest concern.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thanks for the suggestion! Fast growing would be nice, but it's the least important part. I guess the very shady environment was my biggest concern.

My in-laws neighbor wanted what you're talking about and had 16 Arborvitae (they come in several kinds) planted. They were already 12 feet tall when they were delivered, so there was no waiting. It's more costly that way, but its a wall of green, immediately.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I was wondering if anyone might have a recommendation for evergreen screening/privacy bushes/trees that can work in fairly low-light spots. We have a fence-row that has pretty good coverage between random bushes and trees during the warm part of the year, but once fall hits, it all just looks scraggly. I'd like to find something that's fast growing and provides some reasonable year-round coverage. The problem is that during the warm months, the area is pretty shaded from a few tall trees. The canopy is high, but I'm not sure the spot ever really gets direct light once the leaves come in.
If you can control the spread of shoots, bamboo.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
None of mine are permanently shaded. A couple of them are near the house, so they are partially shaded. And the other two grow close to a walnut tree. They don't seem worse for it. If anything, my harsh trimming is probably worse on them. Fucking things grow too fast so I try to trim the base down to a manageable size. The previous owners were like "yay, bushes" and planted them at such a width that it made trimming the tops annoying because I couldn't physically reach them.

• 1Worf

Goatface

My in-laws neighbor wanted what you're talking about and had 16 Arborvitae (they come in several kinds) planted. They were already 12 feet tall when they were delivered, so there was no waiting. It's more costly that way, but its a wall of green, immediately.
damn, unless they got a deal, that would be like $500 per.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I'm looking for a new stackable washer/dryer set. Anyone know of a good site to use to narrow down the search?

fris

Vyemm Raider
anyone have experience in ripping out carpet on stairs and replacing w/ some kind of manufactured floor? my puppy thinks my 20 year old carpet is a great chew toy and has push this upgrade ahead of my plan. this year was to be to fix the sprinkler system and replace the deck on the balcony :(

looking over most youtube videos, seems most of the time you need to cut off the lip of the overhanging step or add a board under it so it's flush. i'm not a huge guy but the idea of reducing the area of each step seems like a trip hazard

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
looking over most youtube videos, seems most of the time you need to cut off the lip of the overhanging step or add a board under it so it's flush. i'm not a huge guy but the idea of reducing the area of each step seems like a trip hazard
If you mean like what this guy is doing, he adds a secondary nosing with the laminate. The stairs seem to end up with roughly the same area but the nosing projected forward by 0.5-0.75'' from the original position. Seems like a wash, practically.

• 1Like

lurker

Vyemm Raider
anyone have experience in ripping out carpet on stairs and replacing w/ some kind of manufactured floor? my puppy thinks my 20 year old carpet is a great chew toy and has push this upgrade ahead of my plan. this year was to be to fix the sprinkler system and replace the deck on the balcony :(

Be aware that carpet is the least slippery of all the choices for stair covering.

Also, the bullnose for laminate/luxury vinyl flooring is really expensive especially if there is a lot of waste due to the width of the stairs.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Goatface

he has a follow up vid with the costs that i just screencapped, spoiler in case you want to be as surprised as i was. i don't know shit about prices over there (30 miles north of edinburgh scotland). i do like when people spread sheet their costs. guess he didn't do anything other than paint.

1649036329309.png

total €157,844.46 / $174,490.89
work started in Jan, most everything was done by sept, nov/dec cobblestone was put down and handrails installed
house now valued at €155k

• 1Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

he has a follow up vid with the costs that i just screencapped, spoiler in case you want to be as surprised as i was. i don't know shit about prices over there (30 miles north of edinburgh scotland). i do like when people spread sheet their costs. guess he didn't do anything other than paint.

View attachment 406395
total €157,844.46 / $174,490.89
work started in Jan, most everything was done by sept, nov/dec cobblestone was put down and handrails installed
house now valued at €155k

So he lost money on it. Great.

• 1Worf