Home Improvement

Moogalak

<Gold Donor>
never been to a place to look at these, but is it possible to get them really tall or stack on risers?

View attachment 408409
need a distribution box and catch basin to combine 2 4" inlets and 2-3 6" outlets. the outlets have to be low to go under a driveway "bridge", so the box will need be like 40" tall to get up to grade for a grate to handle overflow
I don't know where in the US you are, but you can look up a precast concrete distributor in your area and they will sell you a basin with knockouts (thinner concrete so you can hammer out the holes you need and patch after connection). The depth is made up by risers, yes, but typically the precast concrete manufacturers only have forms in certain sizes. You'd have to settle for the configurations they offer.

Does it have to be concrete or will plastic work? Will there be traffic on it?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
You could also DIY it with a homemade form or even a couple nested sonotubes and put some PVC pipes in there to make the holes and a few bags of quikcrete. It's a bit of work but it wouldn't cost much or be difficult and it can be the exact size/shape you want.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Goatface

think going to have to go with some diy option or keep looking at plastic one that will work. apparently no precast concrete place within hour+ of me sells to the public.

whoo

<Silver Donator>
55 gal plastic barrel? Ive seen those used. Some companies make large catch basins that look like barrels with proper knockouts. I've seen them myself but I have no idea where to source them. Plastic barrels should be easy though. Used food/veg oil barrels seem to be easy to get around here. About $30 each.

• 1Like

whoo

<Silver Donator>
think going to have to go with some diy option or keep looking at plastic one that will work. apparently no precast concrete place within hour+ of me sells to the public.
I was curious and I googled. Would this work?

NDS FWAS24 50 Gal. Flo Stormwater Dry Well System Kit with 3 Side Panels & 1 Cover, Black

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
after a year of waiting finally see my ryobi lawnmower crosscut blades for sale, put them on and they cut better... but not what i hoped, figured out theyre kinda dull, gave em a quick polish and def way better but started to rain, so will see later.

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
after a year of waiting finally see my ryobi lawnmower crosscut blades for sale, put them on and they cut better... but not what i hoped, figured out theyre kinda dull, gave em a quick polish and def way better but started to rain, so will see later.
My understanding is that (off the shelf) lawn mower blades are ground to 40 degrees because any shallower of an angle wears down pretty quick. If you're willing to touch them up every other cut then you'll definitely get better results from a shallower 20-30 degree edge. I wouldn't go shallower than that unless you're willing to sharpen literally every time you mow. Also, mind your heat when you're grinding mower blades. If you temper them and they hit something harder than a grass blade, they will shatter instead of bend. I'll let your imagine inform you on why that would be a bad situation.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My understanding is that (off the shelf) lawn mower blades are ground to 40 degrees because any shallower of an angle wears down pretty quick. If you're willing to touch them up every other cut then you'll definitely get better results from a shallower 20-30 degree edge. I wouldn't go shallower than that unless you're willing to sharpen literally every time you mow. Also, mind your heat when you're grinding mower blades. If you temper them and they hit something harder than a grass blade, they will shatter instead of bend. I'll let your imagine inform you on why that would be a bad situation.
i have a worksharp belt grinder and my ocd has me whipping it out before everytime i mow and just giving a quick pass w/ the fine belt

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Anyone got any ideas for landscaping the hell out of a woodsie backyard that is infested by jungle creep?

I've done enough manually to hold it back but I'm gonna need a longer term solution.

Issues:
Roots all about at bottom of deck stairs

Way too many god damned leaves, I can rake like an insane person from when the work whistle blows until bed time and there's just more there the next day. Leaf blowing all of it takes hours, gonna get shit majorly pruned.

Then, the worst thing, is the creep if that rolls in. Best way I can describe it is the floor of the jungle constantly encroaching and me beating it back with a shovel and reseeding.

Plan:
I'd like to think I could stave off the creep some how...

Roots I have no idea how to work around or manage. They suck.

Entire thing is shaded and a nightmare to seed and keep alive

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone got any ideas for landscaping the hell out of a woodsie backyard that is infested by jungle creep?

I've done enough manually to hold it back but I'm gonna need a longer term solution.

Issues:

Way too many god damned leaves, I can rake like an insane person from when the work whistle blows until bed time and there's just more there the next day. Leaf blowing all of it takes hours, gonna get shit majorly pruned.

Then, the worst thing, is the creep if that rolls in. Best way I can describe it is the floor of the jungle constantly encroaching and me beating it back with a shovel and reseeding.

Plan:

the simpsons laughing GIF

• 1Worf

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole

Issues:

Plan:

Rent something heavy duty like a ground hog. Or ask one of the homesteaders in the homesteading thread like Blazin Blazin or BrutulTM BrutulTM

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Anybody have experience with snow stoppers on a metal roof? It doesn't happen that often but twice this year I've had a heavy wet snow that then slid off of my roof onto the back deck and buried it 4 feet deep which I am very much not a fan of.

To hell with this....

278992860_1844780425992163_6168393324499485938_n.jpg

• 1WTF

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

Issues:

Plan:

i have a really rooty tree, for thin roots a cir saw does well. for thick trunk roots i grinded em down with an angle grinder with a masonary wheel

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
i have a really rooty tree, for thin roots a cir saw does well. for thick trunk roots i grinded em down with an angle grinder with a masonary wheel

Someone told me grinding any of the roots will just kill the whole tree. Of course it's the nice one I really wanna keep.

I'm not so willing to believe that...

Goatface

how much of them is above ground? and how far away it the tree?

guess it depends on the tree but most times it means tree isn't getting enough water below ground. it could be a bad sign if too many are on/near surface, makes it more acceptable to being blown over.
probably best to get an arborist to look at your trees and your plan to prune especially if they are big enough to fall over and damage stuff. a tall tree with weak roots can be fine while other trees are acting a wind break.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Anybody have experience with snow stoppers on a metal roof? It doesn't happen that often but twice this year I've had a heavy wet snow that then slid off of my roof onto the back deck and buried it 4 feet deep which I am very much not a fan of.

To hell with this....

View attachment 409889

I have equipped a number of different buildings with roof stops - they really do make a big difference, not just with the amount of snow falling, but with wear and tear on your gutters. Some are very simple, glue-on plastic ones. They work surprisingly well, though a couple will fall off every year. Be sure to get the adhesive specifically for it, it's designed to not break down in the vast temperature changes on the roof. Like this:

But the real deal are the clamp on snow fences. I assume you have a standing seam steel roof? Like this:

There are a million variations on both styles, as well as some in between versions like this:

You're going to get what you pay for. But they're worth doing.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Someone told me grinding any of the roots will just kill the whole tree. Of course it's the nice one I really wanna keep.

I'm not so willing to believe that...
dude a tree has like a thousand roots
tree%20root%20barrier.png

grinding down 1, or 10 exposed roots ain't gonna do shit to it, besides if you don't grind em down now, sooner or later they'll be scalped by mower blades, you think ppl haven't scalped a root before and now a 50yr old tree is all of a sudden gonna die?

• 1Galaxy Brain