Home Improvement

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
dude a tree has like a thousand roots
tree%20root%20barrier.png

grinding down 1, or 10 exposed roots ain't gonna do shit to it, besides if you don't grind em down now, sooner or later they'll be scalped by mower blades, you think ppl haven't scalped a root before and now a 50yr old tree is all of a sudden gonna die?

I didn't believe it either and this makes total sense lol

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I didn't believe it either and this makes total sense lol
Some trees are more sensitive to that damage than others. I’d identify the tree and research their hardiness before hacking away.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Ya I just have a few by these stairs in an area I wanna put some stone down and don't want roots causing cracks or mayhem otherwise.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I know pine trees for example are famous for shallow roots that travel outwards instead of downwards. Though pine trees might as well just be giant weeds. Hate those fucking things.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Southern yellow pine is not a very large root ball. Lost a 24" diameter loblolly to hurricane Ida last year and it came out of the ground and the root ball was maybe 8 feet deep and 12 foot in diameter. Of course it only pulled up the stuff it could and broke off the rest.

Just cut it off at the ground level and let the root ball fall back down in the hole.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
direct tools is having 50% off refurbs

i'm actually more leary of refurbs than their other offerings which is "factory blemished" which means a box just got dinged up and they can't sell it like new, but refurbs are actual returns that go back out, ymmv

i know some of you are stuck w/ ryobi like me, but i'm actually pretty happy w/ the new hp (high performance) line, if you want to take the chance on em, heres a ryobi hp refurb
(i wouldn't try refurb batteries for obvious reasons, even tho they are mad cheap)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
hey Erronius Erronius i finally replaced the challenger circuit breakers in my panel

my question is, theres no main breaker switch in my panel
what-is-a-main-breaker-1152730-03-67c4009be20b434295ce00be8714278a.jpg

heres my panel
20220419_095548.jpg

(i vacuumed it up when i turned the power off later, i'm just taking a pic for how many switches i have to replace)

anyway the main breaker is located outside my house right next to the electrical meter it is
1x 90 fuse
1x 60 fuse

i didn't take off that panel just opened it to turn off the main breaker.

so my question is these two breakers are also challenger as well, if i wanted to replace these i have to call an electrictian out or call the power company to cut power for a few hours?

also theres a keyhole for a lock, i'd like to put one on, it looks like i could b/c the only reason to the main breaker outside the house is for the fire dept to turn it off when theres a fire, i just wanna keep criminals out from turning off the power to home and security cams.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, that's a main lug panel, usually used for sub-panels. So your 'service disconnect' is technically the breakers outside, so you can get away with this.

I don't think locking it is an issue. I'm pretty sure that the FD has bolt cutters. Also, they should be able to just break the seal on your meter channel and pull the meter to kill power to your house, if need be (residential power runs through the meter; commercial and industrial services are usually direct connects and pulling the meter will not disconnect power)

RE: Challenger breakers in outdoor combo service: I think it's hard to say for certain w/o seeing inside of it. Some are made with a separate busbar for the breakers to plug into; in that case you could just replace them yourself (though the busbar would be hot). Other enclosures have no busbar, and the have lugs straight to the breakers or some other similar arrangement. My guess is that you have a small busbar for those 2 breakers, but I would personally pull the cover to confirm.

(this is assuming that there's 2 different covers/compartments for meter/breaker. Some older ones shared the space and you'd have to open up a single cover to get in there)

1651278327721.png

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, that's a main lug panel, usually used for sub-panels. So your 'service disconnect' is technically the breakers outside, so you can get away with this.

I don't think locking it is an issue. I'm pretty sure that the FD has bolt cutters. Also, they should be able to just break the seal on your meter channel and pull the meter to kill power to your house, if need be (residential power runs through the meter; commercial and industrial services are usually direct connects and pulling the meter will not disconnect power)

RE: Challenger breakers in outdoor combo service: I think it's hard to say for certain w/o seeing inside of it. Some are made with a separate busbar for the breakers to plug into; in that case you could just replace them yourself (though the busbar would be hot). Other enclosures have no busbar, and the have lugs straight to the breakers or some other similar arrangement. My guess is that you have a small busbar for those 2 breakers, but I would personally pull the cover to confirm.

(this is assuming that there's 2 different covers/compartments for meter/breaker. Some older ones shared the space and you'd have to open up a single cover to get in there)

View attachment 410255
oh ok guess i'll be unscrewing that and takin a pic after my trip

i didn't think it'd be like a car fuse, thought i'd also have to connect some wire and the thought of that freaked me out

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Anybody have experience with snow stoppers on a metal roof? It doesn't happen that often but twice this year I've had a heavy wet snow that then slid off of my roof onto the back deck and buried it 4 feet deep which I am very much not a fan of.

To hell with this....

View attachment 409889
Might I suggest moving to the Vegas area, no more snow worries (unless you pick Mt Charleston).

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Directttools has the ryobi crosscut with two batteries for 360
Screenshot_20220506-090237.png
This is a great deal if youre in the ryobi 40v line i bought this for 499 when it came out and that was wo the crosscut blade i just bought thw blade for 50 and difference is real

If youre not in ryobi 40v line the ego is 56v is probably better to start off with for electric

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I got the Greenworks 80v version that takes two 4AH batteries. It auto switches between them when one is drained. Works for my entire yard, starts with a button press, folds up for storage, so overall I’m happy with it.

573A295D-15A4-4FFC-AFA5-BB163BC8EB0D.jpeg

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Directttools has the ryobi crosscut with two batteries for 360
View attachment 411304
This is a great deal if youre in the ryobi 40v line i bought this for 499 when it came out and that was wo the crosscut blade i just bought thw blade for 50 and difference is real

If youre not in ryobi 40v line the ego is 56v is probably better to start off with for electric

What kind of yard size does this work for? We've got mayyybe a half hour worth of yard to mow and need to get a mower at some point.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
What kind of yard size does this work for? We've got mayyybe a half hour worth of yard to mow and need to get a mower at some point.

It should handle that no problem. I had a 40v that could do the same size in 2 batteries

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
It should handle that no problem. I had a 40v that could do the same size in 2 batteries
To me that isn’t really handling it. You have to switch the batteries mid mow?

I waited until the two battery version because I didn’t want to do that.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Think about what you said though, you could extend that to any size yard. “Yeah it will handle four acres yard np, just switch the battery 30 times.” Battery switching mid-mow was unacceptable to me.

I was merely correlating that if the 40v with 2 batteries could do it, the 80v with two batteries could do it

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I was merely correlating that if the 40v with 2 batteries could do it, the 80v with two batteries could do it
I’m going to need you to cite the sq ft mowed per mah you can get from a 2 battery 40v for me to agree to your correlation. Don’t forget to include grass blade density and moisture content calculations if you want me to sign off on it.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I’m going to need you to cite the sq ft mowed per mah you can get from a 2 battery 40v for me to agree to your correlation. Don’t forget to include grass blade density and moisture content calculations if you want me to sign off on it.

I'll start crunching the numbers. I also take a shit before mowing for maxing weight reducing efficiency.

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users