Home Improvement

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Got my desk built today, I will deal with the cord management once I get my PC set up and can figure out the proper path for the cords etc.

I got the Apex Pro Max from DeskHaus and then I ordered a 32" x 96" (1 & 3/4 inch width) walnut butcher block slab from HardWood Lumber Company.

Lanx Lanx 8 feet wide Bro on a frame that supports up to 600lbs. Minimal shake Bro...minimal.

View attachment 415687View attachment 415688
Nice! Can't beat walnut! This is like the supersized version of what I have. I have almost the identical base, but my top is a slightly smaller solid wood countertop from Ikea. Been a great, solid desk for years now. What did that walnut slab run you?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Got my desk built today, I will deal with the cord management once I get my PC set up and can figure out the proper path for the cords etc.

I got the Apex Pro Max from DeskHaus and then I ordered a 32" x 96" (1 & 3/4 inch width) walnut butcher block slab from HardWood Lumber Company.

Lanx Lanx 8 feet wide Bro on a frame that supports up to 600lbs. Minimal shake Bro...minimal.

View attachment 415687View attachment 415688
oh that fitment is cute

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Nice! Can't beat walnut! This is like the supersized version of what I have. I have almost the identical base, but my top is a slightly smaller solid wood countertop from Ikea. Been a great, solid desk for years now. What did that walnut slab run you?
$2,400 for the slab and the base was $1,500.

I will never buy another desk in my life.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Humour reaction humor GIF on GIFER - by Agamann

• 7Worf
  • 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 10 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Does the desk come with a blow job attachment?
I get it, it is stupid expensive. But like I said I will never buy another desk again. Also it is a business write off, I run a small business with a home office as opposed to paying rent for some office space. My expenses are pretty limited to just supplies overall (paper, ink cartridges, folders etc) so come tax time this will be nice to factor in. Also bought a 3 tier filing cabinet which should be here tomorrow. It will go in the closet and my printers will sit on top.

I had been using a metal frame glass top desk that I bought for $600 nearly 20 years ago. Call me entitled but I think I deserve to have my dream desk after busting my ass for so many years.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
No need for explanations. It's an awesome desk and if you got the dough, no point in not spending it on stuff you want!

• 1Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
No need for explanations. It's an awesome desk and if you got the dough, no point in not spending it on stuff you want!
But I feel like I do, because I do not want to come off as some elitist asshole. I grew up very blue collar, my Dad laid carpet on the weekends to make ends meet. I am thankful for everything I have and even more thankful because my wife and I earned it all together. We were both broke in college when we met and we have built a pretty good life together.

Also, I was just thinking of my office supply expenses earlier. My software and licensing runs $4-5k a year too.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
But I feel like I do, because I do not want to come off as some elitist asshole. I grew up very blue collar, my Dad laid carpet on the weekends to make ends meet. I am thankful for everything I have and even more thankful because my wife and I earned it all together. We were both broke in college when we met and we have built a pretty good life together.

Also, I was just thinking of my office supply expenses earlier. My software and licensing runs $4-5k a year too.
you said you were gonna use monitor arms to maximize your desk space right? lulz a monitor just sitting on that desk would be eating up $300 of sq/in real estate

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
These fuckin rich white collar guys rubbing our noses in their walnut scented shit.

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Ok boys I have a dilemma. I am not really thrilled with how my walnut desktop turned out. I have been trying to convince myself it is fine, but it really isn't.

Here is what I ordered...
1654699939687.png

And this is what I received...
1654700036934.png

I was looking for the darker chocolate contrasting against the blonde and instead I got mostly one reddish note.

I reached out to the company and they offered me $1,000 off or a replacement. I am leaning toward the replacement which will be about a month out with shipping, which means I will not be able to get my office all finalized for another month. Yes, I will be able to work in here but I will not be able to do the cable management etc. Basically switching tops means more work for me, but for the price I paid and that I am thinking I will never buy another desk again in my life I should probably get exactly what I want.

Again leaning toward replacement, while wondering if I should just take the discount and live with it. I hate the idea of settling but is it the more practical thing to do? Also wondering to myself if I the idea of settling is more appealing than normal when you consider all the work I have to do to get the basement furnished, art work hung, projector set up etc etc etc. Honestly there is a shit ton to do.

Thoughts?

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Ok boys I have a dilemma. I am not really thrilled with how my walnut desktop turned out. I have been trying to convince myself it is fine, but it really isn't.

View attachment 416070
View attachment 416072

I was looking for the darker chocolate contrasting against the blonde and instead I got mostly one reddish note.

I reached out to the company and they offered me $1,000 off or a replacement. I am leaning toward the replacement which will be about a month out with shipping, which means I will not be able to get my office all finalized for another month. Yes, I will be able to work in here but I will not be able to do the cable management etc. Basically switching tops means more work for me, but for the price I paid and that I am thinking I will never buy another desk again in my life I should probably get exactly what I want.

Again leaning toward replacement, while wondering if I should just take the discount and live with it. I hate the idea of settling but is it the more practical thing to do? Also wondering to myself if I the idea of settling is more appealing than normal when you consider all the work I have to do to get the basement furnished, art work hung, projector set up etc etc etc. Honestly there is a shit ton to do.

Thoughts?
What is the walnut finished with, do you know? Is that picture they sent you an actual picture of the slab you received(ie: the grain patterns match, it's just the color/hue that are different)? I would probably just take the 1000 bucks, since once I start using my desk, it's 75% covered with my PC/work stuff.

• 1Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
What is the walnut finished with, do you know? Is that picture they sent you an actual picture of the slab you received(ie: the grain patterns match, it's just the color/hue that are different)?
Finish: Acrylic Polyurethane, Sheen: Satin - 20 Sheen

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm

View attachment 416070
View attachment 416072

Thoughts?
I'll ignore the fact that I think you're just burning money for the fuck of it. But take the money you got from the discount and have a "PROFESSIONAL" come in and stain it. Not just any jack leg off craigs list, but someone that actually knows wtf theyre doing. Think of it like this - if you told someone that does sheetrock that you wanted the entire room at class 5 standard and they didnt know wtf you're talking about, its time to find someone else.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I edited my original post with: I would probably just take the 1000 bucks, since once I start using my desk, it's 75% covered with my PC/work stuff.
I'll ignore the fact that I think you're just burning money for the fuck of it. But take the money you got from the discount and have a "PROFESSIONAL" come in and stain it. Not just any jack leg off craigs list, but someone that actually knows wtf theyre doing. Think of it like this - if you told someone that does sheetrock that you wanted the entire room at class 5 standard and they didnt know wtf you're talking about, its time to find someone else.
But this is also a good idea.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Forgive my ignorance, but do you really think the look of the first pic is attainable with just stain?

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Forgive my ignorance, but do you really think the look of the first pic is attainable with just stain?
Yes. The notes of the wood are already there, you just want the color/age/highlights a different way. A professional that takes pride in their work can do what you're asking, easily. The hard part is finding that person. Also, like Soygen said - keeping it as is isnt a bad idea either. Its a beautiful piece of wood, Im sure.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

View attachment 416070
View attachment 416072

Thoughts?
the contrasting pics looks like you got something from the pine wood derby instead of an aged grandfather clock

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
The picture of what the slab was supposed to look like, looks like they used HDR in the photography(assuming it's the same slab that was actually delivered).