Home Improvement

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Sup bros, looking for some ideas on what to do with this fire pit area.

View attachment 416532
View attachment 416533
View attachment 416534

As you see it now is the way it was when I bought the house. Minus the missing paver stones. I stole those for another project. There was a cheap firepit on top of the pavers which is rusty at this point and needs to be disposed. I'd like to turn this patch of dirt between the walkout basement and the tree into a stone patio. The dimensions are roughly 15x18 feet. 15 feet between the main pillars of the patio. 18 feet out to the far edge of the pavers, from the edge of the concrete of the walkout patio.

Option 1. I guess I could just do the plain rectangle and lay down 270 1-ft paver stones but I think it would look ugly.

Option 2: Do flag stones and gravel

View attachment 416535

Option 3: Do a rectangle that ends in a semi circle. Cant find a good picture but would be something like this
View attachment 416536

Some considerations:

1. My understanding is that you want to excavate about 8-9 inches of dirt and fill gravel in a 6 inch layer, then 1 inch layer of sand, and save 1-2 inches for pavers/stones. Im concerned that the tree that grows just past the firepit area probably has a bunch of roots at that depth. Could I get away just by filling sand and gravel around the roots where necessary or would the roots shift too much over time?

2. I want to make sure that the water doesnt pool on the concrete in the walkout area, would I have to dig even deeper and then create a very small graded slope across the whole patio away from the house or will the gaps between the stones be enough to absorb rainfall?

3. How much of a pain in the ass would this be? Something that can be done in a weekend or two or am I looking at like 40-80 hours of work here? Would it make more sense just to hire someone who knows how to do stone scaping and then hire 1-2 laborers for him?

If you have any suggestions that are better than mine, I'd love to hear them. Im just tired of looking at this weed and moss covered patch of dirt.
The child-a-pult looks ready to assist you with those pesky 4-16th trimester abortions.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Previous owners of our house had a water feature installed in the backyard. It's been sitting dormant since the pump they have didn't work and we've had more important stuff to fix up in other parts of the property. It's becoming a mosquito breeding ground, so I decided to get it up and running this past weekend.

I got a pump, got it running, but then I noticed it wasn't flowing correctly. It consists of 3 sections: an upper fountain, a smaller pond (in the middle), and a bigger pond (on the end). I removed a bunch of the decorative rocks and realized that the bigger pond isn't connected to the smaller pond and upper fountain. So it was pumping water out of the bigger pond, shooting it out of the fountain, falling into the smaller pond, and then overflowing and going into the dirt. There's a 6ish inch gap between the smaller and bigger ponds with just plain dirt. See the pictures:

PXL_20220610_235053539.jpg
\
PXL_20220610_235058422.jpg

My questions:
1. What's the best way to bridge the gap and connect the two ponds? I'd like to avoid digging them up and physically moving them closer (but even then I'd need to connect them).
2. Is this by design? I know nothing about water features, but this seems like a stupid thing. Both of the ponds are firmly dug in, so I don't think there's been any shifting.

Goatface

View attachment 416875

My questions:
1. What's the best way to bridge the gap and connect the two ponds? I'd like to avoid digging them up and physically moving them closer (but even then I'd need to connect them).
2. Is this by design? I know nothing about water features, but this seems like a stupid thing. Both of the ponds are firmly dug in, so I don't think there's been any shifting.
are the edges the same height?

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Previous owners of our house had a water feature installed in the backyard. It's been sitting dormant since the pump they have didn't work and we've had more important stuff to fix up in other parts of the property. It's becoming a mosquito breeding ground, so I decided to get it up and running this past weekend.

I got a pump, got it running, but then I noticed it wasn't flowing correctly. It consists of 3 sections: an upper fountain, a smaller pond (in the middle), and a bigger pond (on the end). I removed a bunch of the decorative rocks and realized that the bigger pond isn't connected to the smaller pond and upper fountain. So it was pumping water out of the bigger pond, shooting it out of the fountain, falling into the smaller pond, and then overflowing and going into the dirt. There's a 6ish inch gap between the smaller and bigger ponds with just plain dirt. See the pictures:

View attachment 416874\
View attachment 416875

My questions:

Looks like you could just drill a hole in each one and connect them with some PVC

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

View attachment 416874\
View attachment 416875

My questions:

1. Piece of black pond/pool liner bridging the two. They should be different heights so water can flow, not on the same plane.
2. No, the prior owners were morons

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Only slightly related to the thread, but what's an appropriate gift to get a neighbor who's been mowing my lawn for me until we move in at the end of the month? Bottle of wine? Pack of beer (I don't know shit about beer, so what's a non-swill tier brand that won't also break my bank)? Something else? Haven't had legit neighbors in my adult life, so want to start off on the right foot.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I can't find a contractor that isn't booked out solid for months, to do any kind of work on my house. Some fucking recession this is.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I can't find a contractor that isn't booked out solid for months, to do any kind of work on my house. Some fucking recession this is.

lol saying they're booked out means the job you have for them is small potatoes shit, or they heard your voice and instantly assumed that you wouldn't be worth the hassle. I'm going with the latter.

• 1Worf

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Tradesmen have been in high demand for quite a while now. I could go over why theyre in low supply, but Im sure you can fill in the blanks yourself.
lol saying they're booked out means the job you have for them is small potatoes shit, or they heard your voice and instantly assumed that you wouldn't be worth the hassle. I'm going with the latter.
Most contractors that work with my property management company will tell me theyre going to add a fee for the trip on a small job. Could bitch about it, sure. But then the job isnt getting done period. They add a hidden fee in for the bigger job, too. But I guess they realize people can go to Lowes and be like "Hurrr durr Sheetrock is $14 a sheet! Why is it going to cost $200?!"

Mist Mist if you're having problems, maybe you could tell us what the job is and we can give you advice on how to find someone that isnt wasting your time?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
lol, you'd be right but I'm not dumb enough to call these people myself, I've been having my stepdad call who used to work for a big plumbing supply company, and he knows all the contractors and still having a hard time finding someone.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
lol, you'd be right but I'm not dumb enough to call these people myself, I've been having my stepdad call who used to work for a big plumbing supply company, and he knows all the contractors and still having a hard time finding someone.
Put on the overalls and do the shit yourself. Aside big jobs like concrete, roofing, siding you can pretty much do it all yourself.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Put on the overalls and do the shit yourself. Aside big jobs like concrete, roofing, siding you can pretty much do it all yourself.
I already dug up a big section of my back yard built a pretty nice patio with a sand bed and concrete pavers and stuff last month in between escalations at work. Ditto for putting up a new ceiling in the bathroom. No stranger to hard work.

But this is some rather difficult HVAC and plumbing stuff (need to replace a 30+ year old heating system, along with a bunch of other things like adding a laundry sink in the basement and much better sump pumps) that is way out of scope for doing myself.

Also need the septic system either extensively redesigned or replaced.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Only slightly related to the thread, but what's an appropriate gift to get a neighbor who's been mowing my lawn for me until we move in at the end of the month? Bottle of wine? Pack of beer (I don't know shit about beer, so what's a non-swill tier brand that won't also break my bank)? Something else? Haven't had legit neighbors in my adult life, so want to start off on the right foot.
work out a dollar amount in your head, for instance when i moved i setup biweekly mows at my old house (we moved out, then sold) for 50$ a month, but then we got a lot of rain and my realtor said it should be weekly mows and she was able to set up a neighborhood kid for 15$ a mow

btw, i hope you guys got that electric mower, or go the electric mower route if you haven't mowed in forever or it's your first time.

the way these tesla faggots talk about not having to do oil changes and brake jobs is how i feel about a gas mower, and i only had that for 2 years

Goatface

I already dug up a big section of my back yard built a pretty nice patio with a sand bed and concrete pavers and stuff last month in between escalations at work. Ditto for putting up a new ceiling in the bathroom. No stranger to hard work.

But this is some rather difficult HVAC and plumbing stuff (need to replace a 30+ year old heating system, along with a bunch of other things like adding a laundry sink in the basement and much better sump pumps) that is way out of scope for doing myself.

probably worse time of the year to look to do HVAC stuff.

• 1Truth!

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
work out a dollar amount in your head, for instance when i moved i setup biweekly mows at my old house (we moved out, then sold) for 50$ a month, but then we got a lot of rain and my realtor said it should be weekly mows and she was able to set up a neighborhood kid for 15$ a mow

btw, i hope you guys got that electric mower, or go the electric mower route if you haven't mowed in forever or it's your first time.

the way these tesla faggots talk about not having to do oil changes and brake jobs is how i feel about a gas mower, and i only had that for 2 years

I missed out on the Home Depot Memorial Day deal that had a Ryobi mower, trimmer and leaf blower for a couple hundo, unfortunately, so haven’t bought a mower yet. Did end up getting 4 nice, chunky ceiling fans for about $275 to get in all the bedrooms and the living room. Just need some basic bitch blinds, now.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I had a buddy do my new furnace at our old house as a side job for some pot I grew back then, lol. I think I gave him like 1/2 lb. He went out and got a 90% furnace from a wholesaler and installed the shit. The only tricky part was the plenum coming up from the furnace to connect to the duct work. But I guess they have a machine in his wortk that you feed the dimensions into and it auto cuts the metal to shape and spits out a perfect plenum. Its only 12 v electrical and of course there is the gas hookup. If you have AC there is the A coil but I dont think he fucked at all with that. Honestly took him like 4 hours to do it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
probably worse time of the year to look to do HVAC stuff.
lulz the cap on my unit is either dead or old, i had a previous cap from my old home but the mfd didn't match up so i bought the correct one. it's not "bad" b/c my first floor ac can almost cool the whole house anyway but i got 2 caps coming in anyway