Home Improvement

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I’d take the $1k, it looks fine as is. You could also stain it darker.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Well I called the company and they said all the right things. They are going to send me pictures of the layout to get my approval before they glue. I will be sitting or standing at this desk daily for the next 30-40 years I might as well get exactly what I want. $1,000 is a lot of money but in the scheme of 30+ years it is nothing. Will keep you guys posted, thanks for all the feedback!!!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ok boys I have a dilemma. I am not really thrilled with how my walnut desktop turned out. I have been trying to convince myself it is fine, but it really isn't.

Here is what I ordered...
View attachment 416070
And this is what I received...
View attachment 416072

I was looking for the darker chocolate contrasting against the blonde and instead I got mostly one reddish note.

I reached out to the company and they offered me $1,000 off or a replacement. I am leaning toward the replacement which will be about a month out with shipping, which means I will not be able to get my office all finalized for another month. Yes, I will be able to work in here but I will not be able to do the cable management etc. Basically switching tops means more work for me, but for the price I paid and that I am thinking I will never buy another desk again in my life I should probably get exactly what I want.

Again leaning toward replacement, while wondering if I should just take the discount and live with it. I hate the idea of settling but is it the more practical thing to do? Also wondering to myself if I the idea of settling is more appealing than normal when you consider all the work I have to do to get the basement furnished, art work hung, projector set up etc etc etc. Honestly there is a shit ton to do.

Thoughts?

Replace and get what you want, otherwise it will always bug you.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Or take the money and refinish it yourself. Won't take you a month, you'll get the money, and you'll be able to get it dark as you want it.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Or take the money and refinish it yourself. Won't take you a month, you'll get the money, and you'll be able to get it dark as you want it.
It's the contrast of blonde and chocolate that I am looking for. When I spoke to the company today they flat out admitted that my piece was fubar and they were trying to figure out how I got what I got.

Also the problem with me staining it is will mean a few days of downtime for work. I have deadlines and I cannot be without a desk for more than a day. So my plan is once I find out the delivery date I bust my ass and get at least a day ahead for work. I will then disassemble my my desk and when they bring me my new top I will just reuse their packaging and send back the old one. Then rebuild the desk set the PC back up and be ready for work the next day. Then on the weekend I will do all th cable management and have my dream home office. /fingerscrossed

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
It's the contrast of blonde and chocolate that I am looking for. When I spoke to the company today they flat out admitted that my piece was fubar and they were trying to figure out how I got what I got.

Also the problem with me staining it is will mean a few days of downtime for work. I have deadlines and I cannot be without a desk for more than a day. So my plan is once I find out the delivery date I bust my ass and get at least a day ahead for work. I will then disassemble my my desk and when they bring me my new top I will just reuse their packaging and send back the old one. Then rebuild the desk set the PC back up and be ready for work the next day. Then on the weekend I will do all th cable management and have my dream home office. /fingerscrossed

Yeah, I hear what you are saying. You could take the money, buy a piece of plywood, make that your desk for now, and refinish it. If you got the polyurethane off, you could get the contrast of light/dark with the right oils and finishes.

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
Need to replace the basement egress door because the trim and jamb are rotted out and is letting water in when it rains. The door is also showing some rust so figured I will just go ahead and buy a whole new pre-hung door. Should I go Fiberglass or Steel? Anyone have any opinions for one way or another?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Need to replace the basement egress door because the trim and jamb are rotted out and is letting water in when it rains. The door is also showing some rust so figured I will just go ahead and buy a whole new pre-hung door. Should I go Fiberglass or Steel? Anyone have any opinions for one way or another?

So there are a couple of things to consider. If it's letting water in that means water is collecting around the door. I would address that problem first. Keep the water off the door and door frame.

Having said that, if you're in a situation where there is water, fiberglass is better than steel, as it won't rust. If you search, you can find pre-hung doors with no wood components (fiberglass door, fiberglass/poly frame), which is likely a good option for a below-grade door.

But deal with the water issues first.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
So there are a couple of things to consider. If it's letting water in that means water is collecting around the door. I would address that problem first. Keep the water off the door and door frame.

Having said that, if you're in a situation where there is water, fiberglass is better than steel, as it won't rust. If you search, you can find pre-hung doors with no wood components (fiberglass door, fiberglass/poly frame), which is likely a good option for a below-grade door.

But deal with the water issues first.
Good call, The door is located at the bottom of an outside stairwell and the drain at the bottom landing got stopped up and wasn't draining well. The water was just pooling and getting into the bottom of the door jam and casing. Definitely fixing that first but was just trying to get my ducks in a row for replacing that door. Thanks for the advice. Another reminder that water is a homes greatest enemy.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
No childhood is complete without a near death experience on an above ground trampoline.
Ours was built into a slope, so level with the ground on one side.

The danger is still there. I hear rattlesnakes love living under those things.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I would 100% do that to my neighbors if I didn’t also have one.

• 1Worf

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
probably doesn't belong here, but it is an improvement
dave-chappelle-lawn-mower.gif

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Ok boys I have a dilemma. I am not really thrilled with how my walnut desktop turned out. I have been trying to convince myself it is fine, but it really isn't.

Here is what I ordered...
View attachment 416070
And this is what I received...
View attachment 416072

I was looking for the darker chocolate contrasting against the blonde and instead I got mostly one reddish note.

I reached out to the company and they offered me $1,000 off or a replacement. I am leaning toward the replacement which will be about a month out with shipping, which means I will not be able to get my office all finalized for another month. Yes, I will be able to work in here but I will not be able to do the cable management etc. Basically switching tops means more work for me, but for the price I paid and that I am thinking I will never buy another desk again in my life I should probably get exactly what I want.

Again leaning toward replacement, while wondering if I should just take the discount and live with it. I hate the idea of settling but is it the more practical thing to do? Also wondering to myself if I the idea of settling is more appealing than normal when you consider all the work I have to do to get the basement furnished, art work hung, projector set up etc etc etc. Honestly there is a shit ton to do.

Thoughts?
Wood is a natural product. It's impossible to guarantee a match to a photo. If you aren't handy enough to sand it down to bare wood, stain it with a "dark walnut" stain, then spray it. Take it to a local cabinet shop /millwork shop (that does custom work). I can't imagine they charge you more than $400 to refinish it.

Another option is to have someone spray it with tinted varnish, but it will muddy the look some and you'd lose some grain detail.

Edit: late to the party. Saw you decided to have them replace it 👍

Last edited:

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Sup bros, looking for some ideas on what to do with this fire pit area.

IMG_20220611_121633124_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220611_121744231_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220611_121825925_HDR.jpg

As you see it now is the way it was when I bought the house. Minus the missing paver stones. I stole those for another project. There was a cheap firepit on top of the pavers which is rusty at this point and needs to be disposed. I'd like to turn this patch of dirt between the walkout basement and the tree into a stone patio. The dimensions are roughly 15x18 feet. 15 feet between the main pillars of the patio. 18 feet out to the far edge of the pavers, from the edge of the concrete of the walkout patio.

Option 1. I guess I could just do the plain rectangle and lay down 270 1-ft paver stones but I think it would look ugly.

Option 2: Do flag stones and gravel

1654967225082.png

Option 3: Do a rectangle that ends in a semi circle. Cant find a good picture but would be something like this
1654967317744.png

Some considerations:

1. My understanding is that you want to excavate about 8-9 inches of dirt and fill gravel in a 6 inch layer, then 1 inch layer of sand, and save 1-2 inches for pavers/stones. Im concerned that the tree that grows just past the firepit area probably has a bunch of roots at that depth. Could I get away just by filling sand and gravel around the roots where necessary or would the roots shift too much over time?

2. I want to make sure that the water doesnt pool on the concrete in the walkout area, would I have to dig even deeper and then create a very small graded slope across the whole patio away from the house or will the gaps between the stones be enough to absorb rainfall?

3. How much of a pain in the ass would this be? Something that can be done in a weekend or two or am I looking at like 40-80 hours of work here? Would it make more sense just to hire someone who knows how to do stone scaping and then hire 1-2 laborers for him?

If you have any suggestions that are better than mine, I'd love to hear them. Im just tired of looking at this weed and moss covered patch of dirt.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Sup bros, looking for some ideas on what to do with this fire pit area.

View attachment 416532
View attachment 416533
View attachment 416534

As you see it now is the way it was when I bought the house. Minus the missing paver stones. I stole those for another project. There was a cheap firepit on top of the pavers which is rusty at this point and needs to be disposed. I'd like to turn this patch of dirt between the walkout basement and the tree into a stone patio. The dimensions are roughly 15x18 feet. 15 feet between the main pillars of the patio. 18 feet out to the far edge of the pavers, from the edge of the concrete of the walkout patio.

Option 1. I guess I could just do the plain rectangle and lay down 270 1-ft paver stones but I think it would look ugly.

Option 2: Do flag stones and gravel

View attachment 416535

Option 3: Do a rectangle that ends in a semi circle. Cant find a good picture but would be something like this
View attachment 416536

Some considerations:

1. My understanding is that you want to excavate about 8-9 inches of dirt and fill gravel in a 6 inch layer, then 1 inch layer of sand, and save 1-2 inches for pavers/stones. Im concerned that the tree that grows just past the firepit area probably has a bunch of roots at that depth. Could I get away just by filling sand and gravel around the roots where necessary or would the roots shift too much over time?

2. I want to make sure that the water doesnt pool on the concrete in the walkout area, would I have to dig even deeper and then create a very small graded slope across the whole patio away from the house or will the gaps between the stones be enough to absorb rainfall?

3. How much of a pain in the ass would this be? Something that can be done in a weekend or two or am I looking at like 40-80 hours of work here? Would it make more sense just to hire someone who knows how to do stone scaping and then hire 1-2 laborers for him?

If you have any suggestions that are better than mine, I'd love to hear them. Im just tired of looking at this weed and moss covered patch of dirt.

The flagstone and gravel looks lovely, but it's a royal pain in the ass when you're trying to get all four legs of your chair on solid rock. It's great for a walk way, but not great for a seating area. I'd suggest regular pavers instead. You can do the standard brick type, or get the 12" or larger pavers. Either way, yes, excavate down as much as you said and fill with gravel. Rent a compactor so that it is level and stable.

As far as drainage goes - so long as your paved area isn't uphill from your cement, you won't have a problem. With pavers that are properly installed you effectively have a french drain right there. The water will come off, and fill up the gravel under, then drain into the soil.

• 1Like