Home Improvement

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I was 6/8lbs of coolant in the system. No idea over what time period that 2 lbs leaked out. I just had him refill it and fix the pressure valve on the condenser (it was stuck open so it wouldn't start). We'll see if the leak is something serious or not and if it is I'll just replace it I guess.

$13k for a new residential HVAC system tho in a 1500 SQFT house.

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Anyone familiar with HVAC here?

In June we noticed that the system in our house was acting up. Not cooling as powerfully as before. Had a dude come out and service it. Said it was working fine. Checked everything and tuned it up. Worked better after that. It shit the bed last night so called the guy back up. He refilled the coolant which is something I've never done in my 6 years in this house. House and system are now about 13 years old.

He said there may be a leak or I may need to replace the whole thing. Thoughts?
HVAC techs know theyre in high demand and wont hesitate to tell you the option that puts the most money in their pocket. Ie. Get at least one more set of eyes on the system before doing any major repairs and dont tell them about the other tech or what that tech recommended.

I was 6/8lbs of coolant in the system. No idea over what time period that 2 lbs leaked out. I just had him refill it and fix the pressure valve on the condenser (it was stuck open so it wouldn't start). We'll see if the leak is something serious or not and if it is I'll just replace it I guess.

$13k for a new residential HVAC system tho in a 1500 SQFT house.
That sounds like you're being quoted an entirely new system. The condenser unit outside and the evaporator unit inside the house. Im no HVAC tech, but I have no idea why you would need to replace both of them? The house Im buying that I talked about above - Ive been quoted a full tear out of the zone control system and an install of the evaporator unit for the house which is only about 700 sq/ft bigger than your house (2200 sq/ft) and Im being quoted 6500 (1250 of that is just for the removal of the old system). I replaced a condenser earlier this year on a property I manage and it cost that landlord 5300.

Lastly, my own personal house has a 15 year warranty on the central air unit. The warranties on central air units typically range from 10 to 15 years.

• 1Like

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
I'm going through the same thing. I keep the house at 73 at all times (in Az, its like 110 outside), and have never had any issues. A few weeks ago I noticed the house was 76... then 77.. 78, and the Ac wasn't ever catching up. I called an HVAC guy and he came out and told me I had a leak, he used a sniffer tool to try and find out and he thinks its in the coils of the unit itself. The entire house is 7 years old, so I wasn't thinking it should have any major problems. He charged me $400 to refill the coolant (waving an $100 fee just to come out when I asked him too), and told me that would get me by for a bit, but because of the leak it might be 2 days or 2 weeks, anyones guess.

To fix the coils its about $4,500, but his company insisted 10 years is usually life on AC units in AZ, and they would recommend I replace everything for $11,100 (Originally he started at between $14k-$17k, but I bitched and moaned it down). I ended up calling my father in law who is an HVAC guy and he said the $11k is probably fair, he agreed 10 years is good for AZ and recommended I do it. I then talked to other people who know jack shit about Hvac who were like "Whats the hurry? It might have been leaking for years, sure it might last 2 weeks... but it might last 2 years. Hell, even if it just lasts one, might it be cheaper to just fill it up every summer for a few more years before you swap everything out?" and yeah, beats me. My dads AC is 27 years old also here in AZ with no problems, so fuck me on an $11K bill for a 7-8 year old one.... I've just been sitting on it for the last week unsure of what to do.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Not trying to be unclear here but he's not recommending that I buy a new one outright. He recommended to get the freon in it and see if the leak is minor (last a few more years) or something major where it would be a better idea to get a whole new one than to replace a $4k coil on a 13 year old system.

In this case the outside condenser fan is also out so its like $1000 for this repair and then hoping its more minor than it might be.

Onoes Onoes IDK about you but I wont be tolerating my woman and children bitching about the house being hot all summer. I'll replace it if I need to. lol.

Daidraco

Not trying to be unclear here but he's not recommending that I buy a new one outright. He recommended to get the freon in it and see if the leak is minor (last a few more years) or something major where it would be a better idea to get a whole new one than to replace a $4k coil on a 13 year old system.

In this case the outside condenser fan is also out so its like $1000 for this repair and then hoping its more minor than it might be.

Onoes Onoes IDK about you but I wont be tolerating my woman and children bitching about the house being hot all summer. I'll replace it if I need to. lol.
Oh well hell man, I would think if the condenser fan is busted then thats the majority of the issue. Pretty much the same situation if your condenser froze up, even if its in the summer. Regardless, I'm still suggesting getting a second set of eyes on that central air.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
It was $1026 to replace 2 cubic feet of 410 refrigerant and the fan motor. We'll see how it goes in the next few months hopefully.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
It was $1026 to replace 2 cubic feet of 410 refrigerant and the fan motor. We'll see how it goes in the next few months hopefully.
the hvac tech channels i watched say refrigerant is astronomical now

at first when i bought this house, i was thinking, wow this is stupid, i have 2 units, one for the first and 2nd floor, when my cap blew on one unit, that 2nd unit didn't seem stupid all of a sudden during a heatwave.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My dads AC is 27 years old also here in AZ with no problems, so fuck me on an $11K bill for a 7-8 year old one.... I've just been sitting on it for the last week unsure of what to do.
after watching hvac channels i have the assumption that when the industry switched to r410 they won't last as long as a system w/ r22 (lower pressures or something, idk) and worst yet now they are changing from 410a to another refridgerant, 454b

it does nothing but make california happy

Daidraco

the hvac tech channels i watched say refrigerant is astronomical now

at first when i bought this house, i was thinking, wow this is stupid, i have 2 units, one for the first and 2nd floor, when my cap blew on one unit, that 2nd unit didn't seem stupid all of a sudden during a heatwave.
Curious what comes out better in regular operation: Two low btu 5 ton units, or one big 8 ton unit?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Curious what comes out better in regular operation: Two low btu 5 ton units, or one big 8 ton unit?
the 2 split units i have seemingly are better than 1 unit, cuz my neighbors bill is over 300 while mine hovers at 140$/m

his is the only house in our hood that has one unit (i'm a nosey karen and you can easily see the condensors on the side of the houses)

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
My understanding is condenser units consume the most electricity on start up so continuous operation is counterintuitively more efficient (I’m sure there’s breakpoints where that isn’t true).

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Coolant leaking is normal over the years. If it's empty again in 6 months then you have a problem, but getting it charged after 13 years isn't necessarily a sign of a problem. I'm sure your repair guy would love to sell you a new system though.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Coolant leaking is normal over the years. If it's empty again in 6 months then you have a problem, but getting it charged after 13 years isn't necessarily a sign of a problem. I'm sure your repair guy would love to sell you a new system though.
Cool. I didn’t know that. Does it just slowly make its way out of the seals because of the pressures and pumping?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Cool. I didn’t know that. Does it just slowly make its way out of the seals because of the pressures and pumping?
also maintainance and checks leak out fluid, every time a tech checks the fluid a little bit of coolant escapes from the shrader valve, the tssk sound

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
My previous house had a consistent leak of about 1.5 lbs a year of r22 and each year it was more and more expensive per lb. Guy said r22 is astronomical now and glad we replaced ours in the new house (see below).

In this current house we had a whole unit fail this year that was original with the home, so... 25 years? Was going to go the home warranty route but had a few specific things that needed done so just went with our existing HVAC servicer.

We replaced everything for $15,000. You can see the details below but it includes furnace and vent assist motor. House is 3,300 sq ft two level, we have separate units though.

We have a 2nd newer unit for the upstairs that came with the purchase. The sales guy came out to look at putting a mini-split in my office since it is above the garage and directly faces the sun. But he said, "hold on, let me just check and see if this AC is even cooling." He tested it and ended up putting 3 lbs of r-410a at no cost, just said hey, you probably have a crack b/c we just refilled it last year when you bought the house. But that top off should carry you through the summer and we'll address it then.

TRANE XR-16 with Furnace Evap Coil
Blower assist motor
9 dampers
Relocate thermostat
Upgrade the support of the unit with new uni-strut
etc.
etc.

1657839791657.png

Thaloc

Molten Core Raider
Random thoughts from an hvac guy.
The ac in your house is a sealed system, the refrigerant charge should last the life of the equipment. If you need to have refrigerant added you have a leak. Leak checking is my least favorite task, its tedious af.
average life expectancy on modern equipment is 15ish years.
Unless you have a large leak its often more cost effective to gas a unit up yearly than to replace a coil.

• 4Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Random thoughts from an hvac guy.
The ac in your house is a sealed system, the refrigerant charge should last the life of the equipment. If you need to have refrigerant added you have a leak. Leak checking is my least favorite task, its tedious af.
average life expectancy on modern equipment is 15ish years.
Unless you have a large leak its often more cost effective to gas a unit up yearly than to replace a coil.
This was my understanding but I'm not an hvac guy so I didn't want to present my understanding as fact.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
What do you guys use to keep your BBQ grills clean?

My old BBQ rusted so much that the heat tents disappeared and the panel under the fire area fell apart. It was also a cheap BBQ, so i went ahead and got a nice stainless steel one.
I am being way more careful this time cleaning it, but I still see grease on the sides.

What do you guys use to clean your grill/ how often do you clean it?