Home Improvement

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
He says hes going to clear coat them, but Im thinking collars, scratching, chains, whatever, is going to scratch it off. Then the occasional splash of Ammonia is going to make those bars rust a 1000 times worse. Regardless, I request finished product pictures Intrinsic Intrinsic .

haha it is a learning process, no doubt. That is one of the reasons for installing them through the top, so that if one rusts or is otherwise damaged I can remove the top, pull the rod, and drop in a new one.

For what it is worth these were $6 a piece. For the next step up that he showed me, which were I think solid aluminum (it all blurs together) were $12, and then above that stainless steel were $20 a piece. It got real expensive real quick. Not knowing anything about piping or metal wasn't helping me here. Version 2 will/would be better.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I’d just use pvc with an X connector in the center to stiffen them all up. Even cheaper!!

Goatface

dog would probably chew/bite pvc and mar it up. depends on the dogs temperament. bill burr's dog pulled a bar off his fancy wrought iron kennel. if dog is mellow wood balusters would be a cheap/nice looking way to go.
1660234402274.png
that is like $2. can get 1/2" wrought iron balusters for $4.
even if a dog is calm most of the time, have to think about if it freaks out. know people who dogs got messed up/lost teeth trying to get out, especially ones that were bad with thunder/fireworks

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
C'mon folks, we all know that's not for a dog. Intrinsic Intrinsic is putting a kid in there.

I told the wife it was going to have to be big enough for me to fit.

Pretty happy with how these turned out. Ended up using a wire wheel on my cordless drill to knock off the rust and grungy spots. Then used a series of sanding sponges from 80, 140, 220. Lastly sprayed with matte clear coat. Went through 1.5 batteries on the drill so couldn't finish the rest. Have 8 more to do tomorrow. Took probably an hour I think to do these?

The dark spots are whatever due to the wire wheel and not buffing out that completely, I'm guessing. Because the light hits it correctly they're solid silver but then you get small reflections and shadows of dark. I think they look better in person, honestly.

May hit them with some 400 or 600 grit tomorrow. Nothing to break through the clear coat but maybe smooth it out. I'll see depending on how it dries.

1660256021826.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
It almost looks like Instrumentation Tubing. We stock and sell it at work, but usually not out of my shop and I think we mostly sell stainless.

If you liked how well the wire wheel worked with your cordless, you'd love having a wire wheel on a grinder.

I have one bench grinder that's on one of the old-school ghetto welded 'wheel' stands and I kid you not, I use the wire wheel on it almost daily to clean shit up. Gunked up threads on bolts? Removing rust and paint from small parts? Machined equipment face that's corroded? It's the bomb for all of that shit.

I think it's an old Rockwell but I'm not sure. It's def older than I am, but it works like it's new so I've never even bothered mounting other bench grinders to benches. And it keeps me from having to mess with getting any angle grinders out, so A+ on that front too.

1660257649677.png

1660257827110.png

1660258272701.png

• 2Like
  • 1Wow!
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
hey Erronius Erronius if buying this
8ea772dc6fd45b17fc59d4d58f8e7798.png

and then just following this

i should have a 240v outlet w/o burning down the garage right?, i've done basic electrical and replaced all the old challenger breakers to eaton, so there really isnt much i can fuck up right? my panel is located in the garage and if you parked the car, the panel would be a nice place to put an ev charger. (note so far i have no plans on an ev yet, and i have no tools that use a 240v, i just wanna do it)

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
It almost looks like Instrumentation Tubing. We stock and sell it at work, but usually not out of my shop and I think we mostly sell stainless.

If you liked how well the wire wheel worked with your cordless, you'd love having a wire wheel on a grinder.

I have one bench grinder that's on one of the old-school ghetto welded 'wheel' stands and I kid you not, I use the wire wheel on it almost daily to clean shit up. Gunked up threads on bolts? Removing rust and paint from small parts? Machined equipment face that's corroded? It's the bomb for all of that shit.

I think it's an old Rockwell but I'm not sure. It's def older than I am, but it works like it's new so I've never even bothered mounting other bench grinders to benches. And it keeps me from having to mess with getting any angle grinders out, so A+ on that front too.

View attachment 427600

View attachment 427601

View attachment 427603

A bench grinder is probably my next big purchase. If I can find one used that is decent that would be awesome, otherwise I’m probably looking for a Tormek (I really thought they had wire wheel attachments, hmm double checked their page. O pretty exclusively sharpening) or similar. Need it to sharpen bench planes, chisels, other woodworking gear. The ability to switch wheels is very appealing.

The wire wheel on the cordless certainly opened my eyes to the process. Something with constant / adjustable RPM and a steady base would have been awesome. I used my bench vice to hold the piping and tried to run the wire wheel over it with a constant RPM on the drill (virtually impossible since it is pressure regulated) and at a constant angle across the surface. Was a pain and my back hurts. Lol.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
If you put one on an angle grinder, wear safety glasses. They are a lot more rpms than a drill and wires fly out of it and stick into your body parts sometimes. I think I'd get an angle grinder before a bench grinder. More versatile and you can always stick it in the vise if you need it to hold still.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Buy the Tormek if you want to sharpen fine edges though. You have to be good to not destroy a fine edge with a bench grinder and even better with an angle grinder. If you really want to be able to both grind and sharpen with it you probably want a 2" x 72" belt grinder but they're expensive.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Still trying to not fuck up my first lawn/landscaping. There’s a shitton of this birds nest fungus growing in my mulch. Is this standard bullshit or should I be trying to get rid of it? All I found were some super hippie/crunchy bloggers saying it’s beneficial, but I’m not sure how trustworthy they are.

662BAC4E-447A-4D2D-9E77-0655CB168225.jpeg

Also, is this some kind of shit weed I need to pull, or will it grow into something cool?

BC1D15D9-A761-454B-8B1F-1CC57E6DD1AF.jpeg

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Also, is this some kind of shit weed I need to pull, or will it grow into something cool?

View attachment 427745
There is an amazing app called PictureThis. You can take a picture of any plant and it'll tell you more info than you ever wanted to know about it. Is it a weed? Is it invasive? What blooms will it have? What fruits/veg will it produce? Is it edible? etc. It's unbelievably useful if you're new to gardening/landscaping and need to know what stuff is.

The house we bought was previously owned by very prolific gardeners, so we've got literally hundreds of various plants popping up that we have no clue about. I've been using this app for the last year to know what to pull and what to keep. For example, there was a vine creeping up the base of one of our sheds that I was tempted to pull. I used the app and saw that it blossoms into really beautiful purple flowers. I let it grow, and sure enough now it's become this incredibly beautiful mix of green and purple on the side of the shed. I would have pulled it if I hadn't checked.

It's free to download and I think $20 for full access. A++ do recommend. Worth the money.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Still trying to not fuck up my first lawn/landscaping. There’s a shitton of this birds nest fungus growing in my mulch. Is this standard bullshit or should I be trying to get rid of it? All I found were some super hippie/crunchy bloggers saying it’s beneficial, but I’m not sure how trustworthy they are.

View attachment 427744

View attachment 427745
First off fuck mulch you have to buy it and replace it every year, buy rock. Rock might cost a little more up front but will be much much cheaper in the long run. I laid down a weed blanket and rocked all my beds, every year I sprinkle a pre-emergent to take care of the weeds. If you want flowers/plants put them in a pot on the rocks.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
First off fuck mulch you have to buy it and replace it every year, buy rock. Rock might cost a little more up front but will be much much cheaper in the long run. I laid down a weed blanket and rocked all my beds, every year I sprinkle a pre-emergent to take care of the weeds. If you want flowers/plants put them in a pot on the rocks.

Will definitely check this out for next year. We got some basic landscaping with the house when we bought it, and a couple of the little bushes didn’t make it before we even moved in, so I was going to be doing some swaps next year anyway.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Buy the Tormek if you want to sharpen fine edges though. You have to be good to not destroy a fine edge with a bench grinder and even better with an angle grinder. If you really want to be able to both grind and sharpen with it you probably want a 2" x 72" belt grinder but they're expensive.

Went ahead and Amazon next day'd a Metabo Variable Speed. Just went with a 4.5" to get me in the door. Maybe I'll step up over time. It was actually somewhat difficult to find an "entry level" variable speed that seemed worth a damn. Normally I would default to Ridgid like all my other stuff, but I also wanted corded for shop work (probably stupidly because of yesterday's experience with the drill running out two batteries). Anyway, we'll see tomorrow. Too busy today to even work on shit.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Metabo is a good brand. I have one of their bench grinders and their big 6" angle grinder. The angle grinder is a beast. I've burned holes in multiple pieces of clothing from standing in the sparks which has never happened with the other angle grinders I have.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm

View attachment 427744

View attachment 427745
Thats great that its helpful for plants, ya sure. Whatever. Its in the middle of your mulch, no where near plants. Better yet, it looks like shit. Fuck those hippies.