Home Improvement

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Cool. I didn’t know that. Does it just slowly make its way out of the seals because of the pressures and pumping?
Keep in mind I don't know shit about this really. But this week the HVAC guy said that 99% of leaks come from the inside coil. Almost always caused by the buildup of debris as most people do not replace their filters as regularly as they should. Other than that its hit or miss. Some units last 30 years others 7 and it just depends. But operator care is a huge factor and he said that most people with dying ACs dont take care of them very well. Keeping house temps too low and the filters being the major things.

The warranty on my unit was 10 years so I am out of luck here. But if its a minor leak I'll just keep replacing refrigerant as time goes on until I decide to pony up for a new unit. I am moving to a new house soon and will be renting this one out so that may not be the best option for me. We'll see.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Keep in mind I don't know shit about this really. But this week the HVAC guy said that 99% of leaks come from the inside coil. Almost always caused by the buildup of debris as most people do not replace their filters as regularly as they should. Other than that its hit or miss. Some units last 30 years others 7 and it just depends. But operator care is a huge factor and he said that most people with dying ACs dont take care of them very well. Keeping house temps too low and the filters being the major things.
I honestly think everyone needs to upgrade their A/C to a Google Nest, Ecobee, or something similar. My personal house uses Google Nest to control all that shit and it reminds me of filters, maintenance etc. and also lets me know when something funky is going on (taking too long to cool, emergency heat running etc.). Never mind all the other shit you could get and pair up with it to really get your house comfortable year round.

People are busy, so its just too easy to forget about changing the filter in your system. Or being at work and the unit outside freeze up and you have no idea.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I got the electronic filters on my furnace that we just run through the dishwasher every season change. The problem with the paper filters is two fold. For one they restrict air movement, and the dirtier they get the worse it is, and 2 they are just pain in the ass. In my old home I used to buy them in bulk just to have on hand to replace.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I set up an auto delivery from Amazon for furnace filters and replace mine every two months when it arrives

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gator

Molten Core Raider
I honestly think everyone needs to upgrade their A/C to a Google Nest, Ecobee, or something similar.
Yea, that has been one of my favorite upgrades to my house. It has saved me money and it's just plain convenient. One side of my house use to be freezing and the other side hot just because of where the panel was located. There always seemed to be a 6-8 degree difference in the house depending on the day. It doesn't help that the hot side of the house has everything the creates heat...the kitchen, French doors that kids love to leave open, washer/dryer, entertainment system. I put one of the 2nd zone temperature gauges on the hot side so now my ac can average out the temperatures in the house so it more tolerable on the hot side. Also, I created a schedule for the ac to run instead of just running all day at a set temperature. I just wonder if it be cost effective to just leave the blower on 24/7 to help continue averaging out the hot/cold sides.

I have to buy custom made merv 11 filters in bulk since my ac has some weird size that no one carries. It says 18/22 but it's really 18 1/2 - 22 1/2 if you want a nice fit with no gaps.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Yea, that has been one of my favorite upgrades to my house. It has saved me money and it's just plain convenient. One side of my house use to be freezing and the other side hot just because of where the panel was located. There always seemed to be a 6-8 degree difference in the house depending on the day. It doesn't help that the hot side of the house has everything the creates heat...the kitchen, French doors that kids love to leave open, washer/dryer, entertainment system. I put one of the 2nd zone temperature gauges on the hot side so now my ac can average out the temperatures in the house so it more tolerable on the hot side. Also, I created a schedule for the ac to run instead of just running all day at a set temperature. I just wonder if it be cost effective to just leave the blower on 24/7 to help continue averaging out the hot/cold sides.

I have to buy custom made merv 11 filters in bulk since my ac has some weird size that no one carries. It says 18/22 but it's really 18 1/2 - 22 1/2 if you want a nice fit with no gaps.
You can do Smart Vents in conjunction with sensors and it'll take a lot of that hassle away. The guy that installed them has them all linked to google nest and I can control the whole house through google assistant on my phone. Its a fucking wet dream for me.

• 1Like

Arative

Vyemm Raider
You can do Smart Vents in conjunction with sensors and it'll take a lot of that hassle away. The guy that installed them has them all linked to google nest and I can control the whole house through google assistant on my phone. Its a fucking wet dream for me.
What brand of smart vents do you use? I have a couple of rooms that are warmer than the rest in my house.

Daidraco

What brand of smart vents do you use? I have a couple of rooms that are warmer than the rest in my house.
Ecovents - But Ive been in Lowes/Home Depot and Ive seen Flair, "Smart Vent" the brand, and keen and theyre all a lot cheaper. Ecovents works flawlessly, but I think they've went on to have their own app since this house was built. But hell, if they all accomplish the same thing - I wouldnt put to much concern into it.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
dryer vent is connected to water heater vent, and it all exhausts into the crawl space

• 2Cringe
Reactions: 1 users

Goatface

saw this stairs project, neat jig
1658775858180.png

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Didn’t want @Koushirou to feel lonely….

Last night a capped sprinkler busted during its 3am cycle. It’s right below a window that I left open. Woke up to water all over the living room and down the hall. At least we wanted to replace the flooring. FML

So we've finally got the ball rolling w/ insurance etc after some setbacks (see rant/FML^2 spoiled below). We're going to end up replacing most of the flooring in the house and potentially remove 10 to 12' of wall to open up the floor plan; stuff we wanted to do anyway at some point. We've had big loud ass fans and dehumidifiers running for a few days, tomorrow is asbestos testing (house was built in '65) and packing/storage review -- insurance says what we're looking at 6 to 8 weeks of us needing to be out of the house.

What I didn't mention is that the night before my 3 year old fell while dancing in the kitchen (Thursday 6/30). She was crying and holding on to her arm more than a standard tumble, so after consulting w/ my brother-in-law who is a pediatrician, decided we would take her in to get X-rays the next morning. Enter the aforementioned water.

Fortunately, no break or fracture. But then my 5 year old brought home covid (Sat 7/2), so a week of varying levels of the standard flu symptoms between everyone. I kept testing positive for a full week after no symptoms, so people coming out for quotes is on hold and we miss my sister's wedding.

Also, I have to push back the drug screening for a job offer I had just accepted, which in turn pushes back submitting my 2 week notice to my current employer. The new position is 1 day a week on site and the rest remote... which I will be doing from a hotel or my in laws home or anywhere except the comfort of my own home setup.

Fortunately, I've been able to keep things in perspective for the most part. As annoying and shitty as all of this has been, every part of it could have been much worse.

• 1Like

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So we've finally got the ball rolling w/ insurance etc after some setbacks (see rant/FML^2 spoiled below). We're going to end up replacing most of the flooring in the house and potentially remove 10 to 12' of wall to open up the floor plan; stuff we wanted to do anyway at some point. We've had big loud ass fans and dehumidifiers running for a few days, tomorrow is asbestos testing (house was built in '65) and packing/storage review -- insurance says what we're looking at 6 to 8 weeks of us needing to be out of the house.

What I didn't mention is that the night before my 3 year old fell while dancing in the kitchen (Thursday 6/30). She was crying and holding on to her arm more than a standard tumble, so after consulting w/ my brother-in-law who is a pediatrician, decided we would take her in to get X-rays the next morning. Enter the aforementioned water.

Fortunately, no break or fracture. But then my 5 year old brought home covid (Sat 7/2), so a week of varying levels of the standard flu symptoms between everyone. I kept testing positive for a full week after no symptoms, so people coming out for quotes is on hold and we miss my sister's wedding.

Also, I have to push back the drug screening for a job offer I had just accepted, which in turn pushes back submitting my 2 week notice to my current employer. The new position is 1 day a week on site and the rest remote... which I will be doing from a hotel or my in laws home or anywhere except the comfort of my own home setup.

Fortunately, I've been able to keep things in perspective for the most part. As annoying and shitty as all of this has been, every part of it could have been much worse.
Aaaaand positive for asbestos.
Pack out is supposed to start Monday, but the wife saw the invoice ($19k to pack up most of the house and store onsite in a container and some offsite location for 6-8 weeks) sent to insurance and wants to do it ourselves and convince them to give us the cash. I politely declined but asked about it anyway to get her off my back.

Uggggg

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Aaaaand positive for asbestos.
Pack out is supposed to start Monday, but the wife saw the invoice ($19k to pack up most of the house and store onsite in a container and some offsite location for 6-8 weeks) sent to insurance and wants to do it ourselves and convince them to give us the cash. I politely declined but asked about it anyway to get her off my back.

Uggggg
all b/c of one fucking sprinkler

• 1Worf

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Fuck the Rachio 3 Sprinkler Controller!

I wasted hours last week trying to get one set up on my network, I assigned a IP Address via the MAC Address, I forwarded all the correct ports, reboot etc. I even completely turned off my firewall to see if it would connect nope. So rinse repeat for hours while on the phone with their worthless tech support that kept asking me to unplug the controller and plug it back in. It wasn't tech support it was a fucking script reader that did not even understand what a MAC Address was, fuck those cunts.

I returned that bullshit and got a Rain Bird ESP-TM2 got it set up in less than 10 minutes, works great.

FUCK YOU RACHIO 3 YOU PIECE OF SHIT!

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Fuck the Rachio 3 Sprinkler Controller!

I wasted hours last week trying to get one set up on my network, I assigned a IP Address via the MAC Address, I forwarded all the correct ports, reboot etc. I even completely turned off my firewall to see if it would connect nope. So rinse repeat for hours while on the phone with their worthless tech support that kept asking me to unplug the controller and plug it back in. It wasn't tech support it was a fucking script reader that did not even understand what a MAC Address was, fuck those cunts.

I returned that bullshit and got a Rain Bird ESP-TM2 got it set up in less than 10 minutes, works great.

FUCK YOU RACHIO 3 YOU PIECE OF SHIT!
i really liked the orbit wireless when i used it

• 1Like

Daidraco

I dont know if Im out of the loop on wireless connected sprinkler systems because I live in a part of Virginia that never needs sprinklers to begin with and you look like a small penis individual in a big truck if you have them... or because Im just a lower class peasant. My conservative side says that I dont need them, but...

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I dont know if Im out of the loop on wireless connected sprinkler systems because I live in a part of Virginia that never needs sprinklers to begin with and you look like a small penis individual in a big truck if you have them... or because Im just a lower class peasant. My conservative side says that I dont need them, but...
the wifi sprinklers are good cuz instead of having a basic "every other day water for 30mins" you can have it water according to how wet/moist your lawn is and along w/ weather patterns, and of course what i loved was troubleshooting, if you changed a sprinkler head and you had to test it out, you'd have to normally run back to your garage and turn it on and run back, but w/ app controller sprinklers, you just stand over it and turn it on w/ your phone instead of running back and forth.

• 1Like