Home Improvement

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Fuck the Rachio 3 Sprinkler Controller!

I wasted hours last week trying to get one set up on my network, I assigned a IP Address via the MAC Address, I forwarded all the correct ports, reboot etc. I even completely turned off my firewall to see if it would connect nope. So rinse repeat for hours while on the phone with their worthless tech support that kept asking me to unplug the controller and plug it back in. It wasn't tech support it was a fucking script reader that did not even understand what a MAC Address was, fuck those cunts.

I returned that bullshit and got a Rain Bird ESP-TM2 got it set up in less than 10 minutes, works great.

FUCK YOU RACHIO 3 YOU PIECE OF SHIT!
My Rachio 3 hasn’t had any issues. 🤷‍♂️

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Fuck the Rachio 3 Sprinkler Controller!

I wasted hours last week trying to get one set up on my network, I assigned a IP Address via the MAC Address, I forwarded all the correct ports, reboot etc. I even completely turned off my firewall to see if it would connect nope. So rinse repeat for hours while on the phone with their worthless tech support that kept asking me to unplug the controller and plug it back in. It wasn't tech support it was a fucking script reader that did not even understand what a MAC Address was, fuck those cunts.

I returned that bullshit and got a Rain Bird ESP-TM2 got it set up in less than 10 minutes, works great.

FUCK YOU RACHIO 3 YOU PIECE OF SHIT!
I have said many times that those controllers are intentionally designed to be impossible to use just so people will pay landscapers to come and program them. I swear the engineers that build them are bribed to make them as user unfriendly as possible. There's no other explanation for some of the UIs on the things.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I have said many times that those controllers are intentionally designed to be impossible to use just so people will pay landscapers to come and program them. I swear the engineers that build them are bribed to make them as user unfriendly as possible. There's no other explanation for some of the UIs on the things.
I am sure if I could have gotten the Rachio 3 connected to my wifi it would have been great. It had some neat features for weather based auto watering. Apparently they are not very compatible with Asus Routers, supposedly overcome by port forwarding. Just not in my case.

The Rain Bird is not nearly as advanced, but it was cheaper and did connect right away. The app is simple enough and truthfully anything is an improvement over having to run from my mudroom to the outside to test shit.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
I bought the Orbit several years ago and it has always worked well and because they keep improving the app, it works even better.

When I was selling these things, the biggest problem people had with them was they were installing them where their wifi signal was weak. Usually this was in the garage off in the corner far away from the router.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I bought the Orbit several years ago and it has always worked well and because they keep improving the app, it works even better.

When I was selling these things, the biggest problem people had with them was they were installing them where their wifi signal was weak. Usually this was in the garage off in the corner far away from the router.
Not the case for me, my signal is strong like bull.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Not the case for me, my signal is strong like bull.
do you have one of those routers that combine 5g and 2.4g into the same ssid?

like normally youd have
fohwifi_5g
fohwifi_2g

some routers can combine it w/ band steering so you just have
fohwifi

maybe the rachio couldn't deal w/ band steering

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
do you have one of those routers that combine 5g and 2.4g into the same ssid?

like normally youd have
fohwifi_5g
fohwifi_2g

some routers can combine it w/ band steering so you just have
fohwifi

maybe the rachio couldn't deal w/ band steering
I have 5ghz 2.4ghz and a guest for both.

Maybe you are right but the utter dipshits that work at rachio tech support never said that was an issue. They just said they had issues with Asus.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I have 5ghz 2.4ghz and a guest for both.

Maybe you are right but the utter dipshits that work at rachio tech support never said that was an issue. They just said they had issues with Asus.
i have an asus too and their band steering is called smart connect, it's on by default

but yea fuck em w/ that poor tech support

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Erronius Erronius or anybody else that’s got some experience fishing wires through finished walls - how terrible of an idea is it to use existing coax to pull cat6? I know it’ll fuck the next guy if he actually wants to use coax, but I never will. My internet is DSL and coax is only for satellite that I’ll never use.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Erronius Erronius or anybody else that’s got some experience fishing wires through finished walls - how terrible of an idea is it to use existing coax to pull cat6? I know it’ll fuck the next guy if he actually wants to use coax, but I never will. My internet is DSL and coax is only for satellite that I’ll never use.
sure, usually those installations are pretty garbage cuz it's a cable guy that is just trying to run the wire from the outside and just wraps it around the outside of the house and just drills straight through the wall.

thats what i noticed on my old house, actually i also fucked over the next owner, i rewired the cable from my living room to the masterbath closet (where i had my rack).

that was actually rather easy, i had fishing rod to push the wire into the attic
9ff5f2bc3ae485939105b3434f238ff6.png

and i basically wired everything from my attic down into the rooms

just tie a string/rope at the end of your run so you can redo it if you have to.

not coax is pretty stiff, so you might have hulk smash it if it went around a corner or up through a joist

• 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
also i don't know about your bits but i'd get a drill bit, (whatever this is called)
096639659c41b1be70bb1bad1617a3bf.png

over a spade bit
238dc9d8d3557ef9577ba69ed82cb44c.png

a spade bit might be good like 1/2in thick wood but if youre drilling through a 2x4 from the side, those bits are nice, also they have that screw/drill tip so you could just shove a drill bit onto the 2x4 stud and it'll grip and stay and you can drill w/o having it slosh around in the wall.

also remember that you can use your baseboards to run wire
Remove-baseboard-with-trim-puller-4-534x800.jpg

just remove the baseboard (use knife cut caulking, etc) cut the bottom piece of the drywall length wise, and you can run your wires right behind it, if you do do that, put a few of these on the studs to protect your wires
000419b18866fcbe20055442d22833ac.png

i did that for my bathroom across 2 studs and it worked great, one tip i picked up was when you remove the nail on the baseboard, pull it through the board instead of pushing it out, this will prevent wood blowout and the hole might just be a little bit bigger.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I have 25 pieces of 30” 1010/1020 steel tubing, 1/2” outer diameter. Picked them up from the pipe supply company yesterday. They’re industrial looking, small bits of surface rust but nothing bad. I’d like to clean them up to be more presentable for indoor use. Was thinking about washing off with some detergent or other cleaner, maybe turpentine, to get off the factory oil / residue. They aren’t black coated like piping from HD. Then hand sanding with 80, 120, 180 and see where that gets me.

Don’t need them to look like stainless steel or anything. But right now they’re a little too grungy. Also don’t want to buy an angle grinder or other tool at the moment.

Have a couple other ideas to try and see what results it gets. But figured I’d ask if anyone knew a way to knock this out.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That sounds like a tedious and awful project to do by hand. Hire migrants or con some kids into doing it instead.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I have 25 pieces of 30” 1010/1020 steel tubing, 1/2” outer diameter. Picked them up from the pipe supply company yesterday. They’re industrial looking, small bits of surface rust but nothing bad. I’d like to clean them up to be more presentable for indoor use. Was thinking about washing off with some detergent or other cleaner, maybe turpentine, to get off the factory oil / residue. They aren’t black coated like piping from HD. Then hand sanding with 80, 120, 180 and see where that gets me.

Don’t need them to look like stainless steel or anything. But right now they’re a little too grungy. Also don’t want to buy an angle grinder or other tool at the moment.

Have a couple other ideas to try and see what results it gets. But figured I’d ask if anyone knew a way to knock this out.
Steel wool with some WD-40 will take care of that rust no problem.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I was gonna give that a try too so good to hear it suggested. I’m not overly concerned with the rust, specifically, I have a wire wheel / brush for my drill that can be used. Polish isn’t the right word because it implies that it needs to be shiny or mirror or like stainless steel. And that isn’t my expectation. Just don’t want it looking like it rolled off the factory floor. Hah.

Going to clear coat it with a spray after to prevent / impede further rusting.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Depending on the application for these... you could just call around to the local metal shops and see who has sand blaster equipment and see how much it would cost to do that. But if this is some random project of yours or you dont want to spend any type of money on them - then .. ya, I guess the WD40 route is all you can really do?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
What are you doing with these?

Look man, what one man does with his steel bars is his business, okay! Get off my back!

Just kidding...

I cut out and put together the carcass for a dog kennel this weekend. Didn't put the frame on because couldn't pick up the bars until Tuesday so went ahead and primed the inside while waiting. So these will be used for the kennel area. Trying to get it finished this week so it has two weeks to sit. Not 100% concerned with off gas because trying to use water based stuff and not high VOC.

Anyways, yeah, the tubing will be the bars. Then we'll have two shelves for dog food, toys, bowls, whatever.

1660224894860.png

Laid these out testing spacing over the 40" rail. Assuming a 3.5" center spacing that leaves 3" between each bar. Was just trying to see visually how it looked as well as if that was too narrow or too wide for doggo. I'll just do a 1/2" auger bit through the 3/4" railing. My plan is to do it full through the 3" top and 2" in to the lower rail, that way I can drop them in and through. I could do just 2" in both but think this way may be a touch easier. I'll test it on some scrap before.

1660226056003.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
This. But also know that they will rust again, even inside your house unless you clear coat them.

EDIT: After seeing that picture I see that it has the anti-rust oil on it too. Might be worth picking up a gallon of acetone to clean them. It will be a lot cheaper than WD-40 and probably work better.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This. But also know that they will rust again, even inside your house unless you clear coat them.

EDIT: After seeing that picture I see that it has the anti-rust oil on it too. Might be worth picking up a gallon of acetone to clean them. It will be a lot cheaper than WD-40 and probably work better.
He says hes going to clear coat them, but Im thinking collars, scratching, chains, whatever, is going to scratch it off. Then the occasional splash of Ammonia is going to make those bars rust a 1000 times worse. Regardless, I request finished product pictures Intrinsic Intrinsic .

• 1Like