Home Improvement

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Regarding the floor, it's quite a bit of drop, like my office chair will roll away if halfway down it. Was going to be like $900 in self leveling mud at my old house to level a room with far less drop and replace carpet with wood. Maybe cheaper using conventional concrete if I can give it proper cure time and of course slick it and then maybe top layer of self level? Given the dirty nature of the room with parrot cage, muddy dogs, was kinda keeping it as a giant slop room to do projects etc, so I think I may go for the rubber backed carpet squares, used especially. Disposable and can look semi decent. Not sure if I'd try something under them as well.
If its that much slope, I would have questions. Was it just a DIY project and the guy that did it sucked ass? Or is the foundation in that area sinking? Which there are multiple ways to fix both situations that are much cheaper than 900 bucks. At that price, you could just pour a new 12x12 slab! Let us know what you think the issue is, and we can probably tell you a legitimate way to fix it so your mudroom actually looks nice. :emoji_thumbsup:

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
If its that much slope, I would have questions. Was it just a DIY project and the guy that did it sucked ass? Or is the foundation in that area sinking? Which there are multiple ways to fix both situations that are much cheaper than 900 bucks. At that price, you could just pour a new 12x12 slab! Let us know what you think the issue is, and we can probably tell you a legitimate way to fix it so your mudroom actually looks nice. :emoji_thumbsup:
We have a bunch of photo's of some of the remodel, so doesn't appear to be a drop. Just bumpkin oklahomans. Lots of africanamerican rigged stuff, places they painted, missed and didnt finish. Crappy caulking. Etc. The joys of buying sight unseen in person, and wifes local friend being a yokel who didn't notice anything somehow. So slowly working one thing at a time, these heating bills though were unexpected when the month of 104 degree's was pretty tame.

Elsewhere in home did have some drywall crack, she works at a contruction company and one of their architects or something came out, we did have some drainage issues around the house and did just put in french drains though it was away from the garage room.

Been busy ever since I moved, trying to get guns unpacked for friend out of state this coming this weekend, but I'll try to dig out contruction photo's vs existing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
the expert one goes the extra mile of sanding away the paint, does using a hex screw make it more expert?

oh, could it be that hex stands for sheet metal? (idk)

The pan heads looked like self-tappers (self drilling screws, to be honest), which are super common. Especially when you can't find the proper bolt or screw.

If you see connections made with them, it's fair to say that someone either lost the proper hardware and/or never gave a shit in the first place and they just drilled 1 or more self tappers through the lug into some sheet metal for a 'connection'

In that pic those look like larger lugs so they're not some tiny circuit in your home. And you'd have to rely on those shitty self tappers for your electrical connection.

Imagine seeing someone use those to mount a graphics card in their case, just because they couldn't be assed to go find the right hardware. Except in this case it's an actual electrical connection so it's much, much worse.

Sludig

Any of these you think would work on top of the tiles and under a layer of just peel and stick or loose carpet squares?

Last edited:

Daidraco

Any of these you think would work on top of the tiles and under a layer of just peel and stick or loose carpet squares?
Maybe Im just too preoccupied with work or just being dense - can you rephrase?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sludig

Maybe Im just too preoccupied with work or just being dense - can you rephrase?
So I have the room that's bare tile mortared ontop of the garage concrete pad making the room an icebox. Was wondering if any of those barriers might be appropriate/not get crushed/too thick to maybe use in conjunction with carpet squares to kinda do a cheapish down and dirty improvement on the cold in the room that's costing mega bills.

Dont want to do wood floors for cost without figuring out a professional leveling it those 3 inches or so of drop and that would be like later this year. Kinda a get dirty kinda room so don't want to just lay pad and carpet unless it's maybe the cheapest utter garbage.

Daidraco

Oops, copy paste key being stubborn on phone
I dont know how big the area is, of course. But that stuff is far too expensive for something you're going to rip up within a years time. Get yourself some carpet padding with a moisture barrier and then put some cheap carpet down on top of that.

Im constantly surprised by how shitty some rental properties I buy and manage are, but it blows my mind that even Redneck Joey and his Fam would finish a slab with a 3 inch dip. Hell, it should have self leveled on its own better than that.

Forget pictures, how big is the square footage? If you're going to spend a few hundred bucks on carpet and a insulation - you might as well just fix it right from the start and not piss away money. Its a lot easier than you think.

Sludig

Roughly 24x17ft. Not sure if it's accurate measure, but since ceiling could be uneven as well, but one side is 111 inches - body of tape measure, other is 117. So potentially a 6 inch drop but seems a little extreme. At the top it levels off, then archs downward, hard to show in a photo but a little noticable in person and you can see the gap in the floorboard because it couldn't angle with it. (And some of the huge door gaps I have)

The making it less amateur diy friendly is there are wood steps up to the rest of the house, and the back wall has built in storage units I'd have to go around, or leave the edge of uncovered. Some day amongst the other dirty uses I might try to have tarp and a giant doggy pen for raising baby emu's before they go outside.

More Pics in post to follow. In the first if you squint, you can kinda tell it drops away from the front desk?

2210155_17_1.jpg
2210155_19_1.jpg

Daidraco

Sludig Sludig - How are you getting these measurements? 3 inch/ 6 inch etc. Did you set up a laser kit and find an anchor spot? Or?

A dip as large as you're saying has one way to deal with it and one with a slight dip has another way. But yes, after seeing it - I do agree that this is a bigger project than a simple mudroom. I have some idea's on how I would approach it, but I'd rather just ask a professional. Im suppose to meet one of my guys this Sunday when his crew puts in some new interior doors at a house for me and I'll show him your pictures and tell him what you said.

Sludig

Sludig Sludig - How are you getting these measurements? 3 inch/ 6 inch etc. Did you set up a laser kit and find an anchor spot? Or?

A dip as large as you're saying has one way to deal with it and one with a slight dip has another way. But yes, after seeing it - I do agree that this is a bigger project than a simple mudroom. I have some idea's on how I would approach it, but I'd rather just ask a professional. Im suppose to meet one of my guys this Sunday when his crew puts in some new interior doors at a house for me and I'll show him your pictures and tell him what you said.
Just guessing based off when my old house they lasered it and told me I had like a 2 inch and it was far less noticable than this. Like I said if nothing else, chairs/balls roll away readily on it.

The 6 inch I said might be flawed method, I just took a tape measure at the front and the back of the room and measured to the ceiling, but as I concedede, may not work since the ceiling may not be level across.

Daidraco

Just guessing based off when my old house they lasered it and told me I had like a 2 inch and it was far less noticable than this. Like I said if nothing else, chairs/balls roll away readily on it.

The 6 inch I said might be flawed method, I just took a tape measure at the front and the back of the room and measured to the ceiling, but as I concedede, may not work since the ceiling may not be level across.
If you have a friend with the laser kit, transit laser, w/e - great. Use that. If not, do this:

• 1Like

Sludig

Oh, and rest of house is fairly bubba'd like I said, and we do have some sort of settling issue nearby, installed 300 ft of french drains. House is slab I thought but is supposed to have another room that is an addon with a crawlspace that's inaccessible. Would love to see if there's a pool under it or anything nuts. Kitchen wood flooring has a section with a bit of a circular oblong dip, not visible but can feel it when walked on.

So many kind and nice folks out here, but fuck me if most folks out here are a noticeable drop in IQ vs say Colorado. I've been in 3-4 other folks houses, and many of them are the same way to some extent, been patched over, modernized a bit, but a lot of it done sloppy or flat out a little bit wrong.

Aside from this room, I think doors will be next major fix, and I'd like to avoid windows other than maybe any super bad ones.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Aside from this room, I think doors will be next major fix, and I'd like to avoid windows other than maybe any super bad ones.
just use the plastic wrap on windows
ca237befdaeba3959b7fc0b1cb11d6b7.png

i have this huge stained glass shit in my bathroom
24b881d15293c0d24fd12e67f3a948db.jpg

i've caulked all around it but air just seemingly pass through the glass (cuz it's not insulated, it's just literally glass)

put the plastic insulation on and bamm, i have a modern insulated window (all a modern insulated window is, just two panes of glass and argon in the middle) the bathroom instantly warms up.

• 1Like