Home Improvement

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
With it being 6 months out - Lanx Lanx 's video might be worth a try. It'll look "ok" at best, but if you're fine with that - who cares. It'll chip / break when damaged vs a small dent (which you're going to have a 2 year old in there eventually...). I personally am just not a fan of it since the full repair looks better and is generally incredibly easy and almost just as cheap. Im going the extra mile below because I wholeheartedly disagree with Lanx on this.
-----
If you take a carpenters knife and cut around the edges, thatll break the seam that was created by the original caulk between the sheetrock and the board. The board is super simple after looking at the up-close.
View attachment 457117

You may have to take a saw and cut the ends off so you can pry the board upwards without harming the sheetrock. The nails will be in that center column of wood of course. The new board will slide into place and just put the new nails in the same area as the last ones. Caulk around the edges (use painters tape if you're not good with the "finger method" to keep it looking good. Dont forget to fill in the nail holes with that same caulk. Then get a thin paint of super white with ultra shine (or w/e the box store wants to call it), paint it once, sand it down with really fine grit sandpaper, then paint it one more time with a brush that matches the paint (Latex Brush etc.).

It sounds like a lot, but I assure you its not. Just knowing the steps is like 90% of the battle.

Heres a fresh install video if that helps. Seeing a before and after will help give you an idea of not only how to put it on but also whats holding the old one there. (Time stamped at ~2:50)

Had a 1x6 so I pulled the old one. Went very smooth. Cut around it with the painter knife and gave it a couple of bumps from below. The finish nails weren't doing a whole lot so it popped right off. Used it to rip the 1x6 to width and then cross cut it to length. Used the old one as a template for the notches but should have just remeasured like the guy in the video did. Dumb mistake on my part but I was in the shop and had everything sitting right there.

I'm also obviously not a caulk-er because I made a huge mess. Hoping to sand some of it off maybe before applying the paint.

All in all though I'm happy for about 45 minutes worth of work.

1675726568746.png

1675726598079.png
1675726654338.png

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Had a 1x6 so I pulled the old one. Went very smooth. Cut around it with the painter knife and gave it a couple of bumps from below. The finish nails weren't doing a whole lot so it popped right off. Used it to rip the 1x6 to width and then cross cut it to length. Used the old one as a template for the notches but should have just remeasured like the guy in the video did. Dumb mistake on my part but I was in the shop and had everything sitting right there.

I'm also obviously not a caulk-er because I made a huge mess. Hoping to sand some of it off maybe before applying the paint.

All in all though I'm happy for about 45 minutes worth of work.

View attachment 457403
View attachment 457404View attachment 457405
Great job. For caulk - just take painters tape and put it on both sides of the seam and "then" run your finger across it. Pros can do it w/o, but I personally aint no pro. :p

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Great job. For caulk - just take painters tape and put it on both sides of the seam and "then" run your finger across it. Pros can do it w/o, but I personally aint no pro. :p
i saw caulk tip where you cut a straw at an angle and "scoop up" the excess

haven't tried it yet

but it took a few tries for me using "the finger" where it didn't just push all the caulk out to the sides

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
It’s not obvious to me what they’re trying to accomplish with their actions?

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I can see wanting a texture/pattern in the glass, but the method seems to have a few downsides.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
So... This was my 5:45 wake up call as ~50mph straight-line winds decided to remodel my covered/enclosed greenhouse patio this morning... Not sure how they hit at just the right angle to do this, we've had stronger winds and never a problem... Guess I know what my next project is now.

1676383507059.png

• 3Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 2 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
What's amazing me more is that apparently that one little piece of metal conduit (previously used for the electrical run to the exhaust fan on the other end of the greenhouse) is apparently actually HOLDING UP that corner of the roof structure.

• 1Wow!

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
What's amazing me more is that apparently that one little piece of metal conduit (previously used for the electrical run to the exhaust fan on the other end of the greenhouse) is apparently actually HOLDING UP that corner of the roof structure.

EMT STRONK

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Haus Haus That just sucks. Hope your homeowners insurance comes through.
Yeah, gearing up for the insurance adjuster fight now...

Also gearing up for the realization that in my line of work I will close 90% of the deals I'm going to close for the year in the next 6 weeks, and if I close out well that means a nice chunk of change.. mind you I won't be in that highly vaunted Foler money land, but for a simple man like me it will be very nice. This also means I can't take a week and a half to DIY my way through rebuilding it and will have to actually break down and pay someone to do it. Because at this point it's a "scrap and rebuild the thing" situation, and Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus will feed me through a woodchipper if I put repairing this off for a couple months. heh

• 2Like

Rais

Trakanon Raider
Depending on the state I wouldn't file a claim. Either they are going to jack up the rates or drop you in 6 months.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, gearing up for the insurance adjuster fight now...

Also gearing up for the realization that in my line of work I will close 90% of the deals I'm going to close for the year in the next 6 weeks, and if I close out well that means a nice chunk of change.. mind you I won't be in that highly vaunted Foler money land, but for a simple man like me it will be very nice. This also means I can't take a week and a half to DIY my way through rebuilding it and will have to actually break down and pay someone to do it. Because at this point it's a "scrap and rebuild the thing" situation, and Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus will feed me through a woodchipper if I put repairing this off for a couple months. heh
that doesn't look "too bad" maybe you forego the insurance so they don't mess with your rate and just pay for a roofer out of pocket

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
And I thought, if I remember, y’all (notice where that high comma is) had mid-term plans to sell and buy land to build. Not sure if it is the same in every State but when I sold the potential buyers pulled my insurance and saw any claims on the house and used that to cancel an offer. So just saying, depending on the market and rules and how much you think it would be an influencer in moving the place later. Hopefully none of that in your case though.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
that doesn't look "too bad" maybe you forego the insurance so they don't mess with your rate and just pay for a roofer out of pocket
The whole roof of the structure was lifted off, offset, and dropped back down. The exterior wall is now tilting in and no longer plumb... A little more carnage...
1676470293122.png
1676470348652.png

And I thought, if I remember, y’all (notice where that high comma is) had mid-term plans to sell and buy land to build. Not sure if it is the same in every State but when I sold the potential buyers pulled my insurance and saw any claims on the house and used that to cancel an offer. So just saying, depending on the market and rules and how much you think it would be an influencer in moving the place later. Hopefully none of that in your case though.
The real goal will be this becomes a rental property once we have purchased and built on the land we plan on moving out to.

• 2Like