Home Improvement

Palum

what Suineg set it to
main takeaways i've researched is soak for 24/ take out for 12, do not reuses the water (b/c it looks wasteful) but pour it away b/c seeds release toxins when germinating (or something like that) and that much concentration will kill your existing lawn.

i'm on day 6 and still no "sprouts" 3, 7lbs bags of pennington tall fescue.
Let me know how it goes. I'd be especially interested if you don't put any top soil or thatch over the sprouting ones and they germinate in the soil easily

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Let me know how it goes. I'd be especially interested if you don't put any top soil or thatch over the sprouting ones and they germinate in the soil easily
i'll just rake it in at most, i did also seed the backyard w/ kbg but i don't see any seedlings at all (it is north facing) so thats why i went w/ the tall fescue

Palum

what Suineg set it to
i'll just rake it in at most, i did also seed the backyard w/ kbg but i don't see any seedlings at all (it is north facing) so thats why i went w/ the tall fescue
KBG usually takes me twice as long to see (like 12-14 days)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
KBG usually takes me twice as long to see (like 12-14 days)
yea i'm gonna do a bag of kbg on friday (since i did the other on friday, i can remember when, and i have enough buckets anyway) and see how long that'll take to germinate, for reference that is black beauty ultra, to fill in some "trouble" spots in the front lawn.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
I have the guy coming Monday to spray weed killer on all 1.5 acres of rocks. Does that count as home improvement?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i'm on day 12 of tall fescue germination and day 5 of kbg

damn i think this tall fescue is gonna take 21 days, it's been raining, tornado warnings this week so i just leave the buckets out w/o water and eventually it'll fill up w/ tornado water.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I have a passive radon system already setup in my house (just the pipe from the gravel to the roof) and want to get an active system on it. Trying to save a little money, so I'm planning to just buy the fan myself and just find someone to install it. Was looking at the following to get, but figured I'd see if anyone had better suggestions before I pulled the trigger. My basement is about 1200 sq/ft with ~600 of that finished, if that matters. I'm assuming if my pipe says it's a 3" pipe, I should get the 3x4 couplings for the fan? Should I buy my own fan at all, or let whoever I get to install it bring their own system (not sure if an installer is generally going to mark it up vs. if I bought it myself).

Also, why the hell can I not get amazon links to work?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I have a passive radon system already setup in my house (just the pipe from the gravel to the roof) and want to get an active system on it. Trying to save a little money, so I'm planning to just buy the fan myself and just find someone to install it. Was looking at the following to get, but figured I'd see if anyone had better suggestions before I pulled the trigger. My basement is about 1200 sq/ft with ~600 of that finished, if that matters. I'm assuming if my pipe says it's a 3" pipe, I should get the 3x4 couplings for the fan? Should I buy my own fan at all, or let whoever I get to install it bring their own system (not sure if an installer is generally going to mark it up vs. if I bought it myself).

Also, why the hell can I not get amazon links to work?

review says you gotta add a powercord as well
9434a44afabbe057ef39c606bcbc0f67.png

6ft 16 Gauge 3 Prong Heavy Duty Replacement Power Supply Cord Cable 110V 115V 120V Pigtail for Universal AC Appliance, NEMA 5-15 Plug US SJT 16AWG (12A)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i mowed my lawn and then it jumped out at me.

i like my lawn at 3in so i keep it high, which worked out fine cuz i ran over a nest of bunnies. no bunnie parts and two of them just sitting there. so i continued to mow and they were still there. a few hours later and theyre still there. fuck, so i put them in a box, turns out theres 3, no 4 of them, jesus. googled what to do and bought some kitty formula and syrings

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
i mowed my lawn and then it jumped out at me.

i like my lawn at 3in so i keep it high, which worked out fine cuz i ran over a nest of bunnies. no bunnie parts and two of them just sitting there. so i continued to mow and they were still there. a few hours later and theyre still there. fuck, so i put them in a box, turns out theres 3, no 4 of them, jesus. googled what to do and bought some kitty formula and syrings

Watch out for ticks and fleas. Wild rabbits are nasty.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
In a similar boat, now...did our first mow and trim on the lawn, got everything looking nice, but didn't take the grass down too much yet. Husband went out after and picked up some extra sticks and noticed a little lump against the side of the house. Baby bunny. Has a cut on its face, front paw is bloody, back leg is lame... Must have gotten hit by the weed eater...goddamnit. No idea what to do; DNR isn't open until Monday, found one rabbit rescue in the county and thought I got lucky...but the operator just had a brain aneurism last week and they're not taking anymore bunnies. I feel awful, fuck.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
In a similar boat, now...did our first mow and trim on the lawn, got everything looking nice, but didn't take the grass down too much yet. Husband went out after and picked up some extra sticks and noticed a little lump against the side of the house. Baby bunny. Has a cut on its face, front paw is bloody, back leg is lame... Must have gotten hit by the weed eater...goddamnit. No idea what to do; DNR isn't open until Monday, found one rabbit rescue in the county and thought I got lucky...but the operator just had a brain aneurism last week and they're not taking anymore bunnies. I feel awful, fuck.
Its been a while since I cut my own grass. But from what I remember, Rabbit pairs really well with a Plum flavored BBQ sauce. Hope this helps.

• 4Worf
  • 2Quality Calories
Reactions: 5 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Its been a while since I cut my own grass. But from what I remember, Rabbit pairs really well with a Plum flavored BBQ sauce. Hope this helps.

Curious as I was about rabbit meat, the kid who did my lawn raises rabbits in 4H and came over and grabbed him for some rehab. Apparently got popped by a snake.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Curious as I was about rabbit meat, the kid who did my lawn raises rabbits in 4H and came over and grabbed him for some rehab. Apparently got popped by a snake.
wow thats a lot of good fortunate events

i called my local wildlife what and they said they could take the rabbits or i could try putting them back in the nest and the mom will come back in 24hrs so thats what i did, then i stuck a wifi cam pointing right at them, theyve just been there the whole day barely moving.

*edit
mom rabbit just came back

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Dunno if this is the right place to ask but maybe. Has anyone ever poured their own concrete slab for a vehicle? Wanting to pour a slab big enough and heavy duty enough to pull trucks/farm equipment onto in order to work on it. Seems like it would need to support up to 10k lbs but maybe overkill it and put it at 15-20k lbs if extra cost isn’t much.

Is it a simple diy weekend project with a buddy? Seems like I’d need to make sure ground is compact and I’d need to throw some gravel over it first since area is dirt.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Dunno if this is the right place to ask but maybe. Has anyone ever poured their own concrete slab for a vehicle? Wanting to pour a slab big enough and heavy duty enough to pull trucks/farm equipment onto in order to work on it. Seems like it would need to support up to 10k lbs but maybe overkill it and put it at 15-20k lbs if extra cost isn’t much.

Is it a simple diy weekend project with a buddy? Seems like I’d need to make sure ground is compact and I’d need to throw some gravel over it first since area is dirt.
A driveway can use a plate compactor, with a fine gravel base, and the slab would need to be 4" thick at minimum. A more heavy duty / industrial slab would need large stone gravel, compacted by a Roller, then fine gravel on top of it, compacted with a plate. The slab for that would need to be 5-6" thick and have a cross pattern of rebar.

You "might" could get away with the first if you dont mind cracks and such over time. But for that type of weight, you should really contemplate going with option two.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
A driveway can use a plate compactor, with a fine gravel base, and the slab would need to be 4" thick at minimum. A more heavy duty / industrial slab would need large stone gravel, compacted by a Roller, then fine gravel on top of it, compacted with a plate. The slab for that would need to be 5-6" thick and have a cross pattern of rebar.

You "might" could get away with the first if you dont mind cracks and such over time. But for that type of weight, you should really contemplate going with option two.
i haven’t poured a slab myself, but I’ve been doing homework off and on for a while and this aligns with my understanding.

I was considering doing my driveway a section at a time. Ultimately I decided the benefits weren’t worth the effort.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I had my driveway done like 8-10 yrs ago? Its a larger driveway since my garage is side facing and the driveway itself angles and is not 90deg to the property. Roughly $15K which included the back patio and a little walkway from the back of the garage to the said patio, this is of course pre-covid prices. Anyway if youre thinking of doing this shit yourself, forget it. First off it took heavy machinery and several truck loads to get rid of the old cracked up driveway and patio. With several grunt workers removing the small shit. This took about 4-5 hours. Then they set up the new forms, laid down the gravel, made sure the thickness was correct at 4" etc. Also they laid down the steel grate that I paid extra for for reinforcing the concrete slabs. That was the first day.

The second day the trucks started to come in and it took all of them, like 6 people, to spread it and level it, etc... Then the main dude scored to concrete, the expansion and crack lines, etc... While the others continued to smooth it. Then they did the back patio with a huge ass powered wheelbarrow. Which took many many trips from truck to back to fill in the patio and the walkway.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like