Home Improvement

Valor_sl

shitlord
@joeboo I grew up in Columbia. Good to see another Mizzou fan!

I'm in the option period on this house and I've a very rough drawing of the floorplan. I was hoping someone might provide some very generic insight on time/money required for going through some different phases of renovation. I'm a complete scrub when it comes to this.

The front of the house is where the green bushes are. I've left out plenty of details and it's not particularly to scale... so please be gentle with it.

Zm6pnHA.png

Phase 1: Replace 9 windows and all of the switches/outlets/light fixtures
Phase 2: We'd want to remove the wall between the living room and formal dining room (the area next to the garage, likely a support wall)
Phase 3: We'd want to remodel the kitchen and take some space away from the Garage for that (Move the wall back about 3 feet and new counter tops and new doors for the cabinets and a new sink)
Phase 4: We'd want to take the house from 4 rooms with 1 VERY small inadequate master bath, to 3 rooms with a really nice master on suite. We'd take guest room 1 and 2 and knock down the separating wall and close off the bathroom from the current master turning it into a guest room.
Phase 5: We'd want to replace the flooring from carpet to hardwood
Phase 6: We'd want to remodel the guest bath (This needs new sink/vanity/floors/shower)

Any general thoughts on what each phase could cost if done well, would be great. I'm not rich, but willing to put in a lot of sweat into making the house nice.

iannis

Musty Nester
Man, that's one of those "not fucking around" renovations.

You'd be looking at a home equity line I have to think. Which, if you're putting it back into the house, can sometimes be a good use of a loan. 1 and 5 look like the least expensive, and those are expensive enough to qualify as an investment. I've been thinking about tearing a lot of carpet up myself and replacing it, but i've kinda been chickenshit about actually trying to find a quote. I know it's gonna hurt.

Oldbased

> Than U
Any general thoughts on what each phase could cost if done well, would be great. I'm not rich, but willing to put in a lot of sweat into making the house nice.
All of this pricing is dependent on who you get to do it, how much you do yourself and what type of things you buy.
Like Phase 1 you could spend as little as $120 material per window or as much as $500. Light fixtures as little as $10 per as much as $400 per. Even switches and outlets. They have smart outlets now and built in led night lights but normal run of the mill plugs and switches are ~1 buck each.
Phase 2 support wall is the difference between $500 and $5000, and what about the flooring between them, trim, paint?
Phase 3. 10k basic kitchen reno, 30k well done, moving a wall in garage, again is that support too? Usually is...
Phase 4 fuck it, tear it down/sell it and build what you want.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So finally finished going through retarded negotiations on my new home. Redoing the pool, I want to add a waterfall grotto feature to the pool but I've seen some astronomical costs for what amounts to a bunch of concrete fake rocks stacked on top of each other or carting in expensive real rocks. Anyone have any stories/costs/ideas/etc.?

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
So finally finished going through retarded negotiations on my new home. Redoing the pool, I want to add a waterfall grotto feature to the pool but I've seen some astronomical costs for what amounts to a bunch of concrete fake rocks stacked on top of each other or carting in expensive real rocks. Anyone have any stories/costs/ideas/etc.?
Go Big Sir!
rrr_img_93538.jpg

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Since joeboo brought up a jackhammer, tell me if I'm crazy to undertake this by myself in a week's worth of time. I've got concrete front porch that's likely over 40 years old, it's got a major crack running through. I patch up the crack every spring and I've coated the whole thing in a water sealant. It's not really a problem, just annoying. I've posted about it before in this thread

Anyway, I want to:

Bust up the current porch with a jackhammer.
Remove the unused oil tank.
Remove/reuse the cinder blocks to form new "wall". Maybe coat outsides with xypex.
Fill oil tank area in with dirt.
Build new porch, preferably wooden and sealed.

I'm more than fine with taking a week off from work to get this done. I'm actually a bit bothered that I'm not bothered taking vacation time to a home project. But my wife thinks I'll screw something up or miss something. I'm not saying she's wrong, neither of us are really "handy" people. But given that this might be an expensive job for a contractor(had one guy out for a quote last summer, he never called me back), the prospect at saving a lot of money is appealing.

Oldbased

> Than U
Since joeboo brought up a jackhammer, tell me if I'm crazy to undertake this by myself in a week's worth of time. I've got concrete front porch that's likely over 40 years old, it's got a major crack running through. I patch up the crack every spring and I've coated the whole thing in a water sealant. It's not really a problem, just annoying. I've posted about it before in this thread

Anyway, I want to:

Bust up the current porch with a jackhammer.
Remove the unused oil tank.
Remove/reuse the cinder blocks to form new "wall". Maybe coat outsides with xypex.
Fill oil tank area in with dirt.
Build new porch, preferably wooden and sealed.

I'm more than fine with taking a week off from work to get this done. I'm actually a bit bothered that I'm not bothered taking vacation time to a home project. But my wife thinks I'll screw something up or miss something. I'm not saying she's wrong, neither of us are really "handy" people. But given that this might be an expensive job for a contractor(had one guy out for a quote last summer, he never called me back), the prospect at saving a lot of money is appealing.
It's expensive because it is shit work, heavy debris and nothing to do with it.
If you know a farmer with a sinkhole or can fill in with the concrete debris half the issue is solved.
You can rent those puppies for about $100 a week and smash it out yourself. Plus it'll be fun.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Go Big Sir!
rrr_img_93538.jpg
Yea I have to find out the best way to do that sub 1M as in not carrying in real rocks. I would like to do it myself if possible but while I could do shotcrete that equipment seems industrial crew sized only. Hmmm.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The worst part of the plan is replacing concrete with wood because the maintenance annoys you

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Well, this is part of the reason why I'm asking, I'm bound to overlook stuff in my inexperience.

The choice of wood is motivated entirely out of how much of a pain in the ass the concrete is being now. Admittedly, it's quite old, so maybe this is just end of life shit and not normal problems. Is ~45 years the average lifespan for a cast concrete porch?

The wood would have to be resealed every few years, right? Currently, every spring, I'm scrubbing the concrete with steel brush to remove flakes and bits damaged by the cold, cleaning last year's repair out of the crack, resealing the crack, then spraying on a new layer of sealant. On top of all that, that doesn't 100% prevent water from getting in. But, a new porch, regardless of material, would hopefully fix that, so maybe that's irrelevant.

BTW, if my plan has any other problems, would like to hear it. Assume I know nothing, probably accurate.

Oldbased

> Than U
With wood you are looking at a few years of awesomeness. If you keep it sealed/stained and so forth every few years and clean it'll last you 20 years easy.
If you don't things start warping,cracking,rotting and appearance and functionality drop over time.
Concrete isn't without issues and maintenance as well however. Anything you do aside from composite is going to require cleaning and some work each year but we are talking a day tops.
Hell even composite needs some over time.
Build what you want and take care of it, it'll take care of you.

Remit_sl

shitlord
With wood you are looking at a few years of awesomeness. If you keep it sealed/stained and so forth every few years and clean it'll last you 20 years easy.
I think this depends on where you live, and especially how accessible the support structure is. If it is a low patio, how are you going to seal/stain the joists? We had a huuuuge deck on my parents house. My mom stained or sealed that bitch every single year (after cleaning it of course). We live in the pacific northwest, and after 12 years, the joists and a couple of the beams (dont think beams is the right word... runners? the things that the joists attach to) which were painted had rotted from the decking down. Fuck decks man. Concrete slab all the way.

Picasso3

I can't think of any climate where a treated deck would ladt 20 years easy. Maybe functionally but to me they look like absolute fuck when they start warping up around the screw heads and splitting. If your objective is to keep water from getting through a typical treated deck will be far worse than concrete.

Have you tried resurfacing products? I have used the rustoleum concrete restore and was not pleased but i would still do that over smashing up a patio and replacing with wood.

Composite could be a great option if the color helps.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
The xypex on the buried cinder blocks and inclined earth would hopefully keep water out and away.

Not sure if resurfacing would help. Part of the problem is that the porch was a cast put on top a wooden frame, that itself was ontop of cinder blocks. At some point, prior to when I purchased the house, water got through the concrete and rotted out parts of the wooden frame. I have no idea if the wooden frame was supposed to be load bearing in the middle, but when it rains, you can definitely see water pooling towards the middle.

I wonder if something like a carjack and a piece of wood to act as a weight spread would make the crack repairs last longer since it prevent the concrete from moving as much.

Remit_sl

shitlord
So you can get to the space under it? Stuff it full of gravel, put a top coat on it, and drill out a drain in the middle.

Picasso3

If it's elevated that sounds a lot better. Even sledging it out will be a lot easier. I think some of the composite is tongue and groove..i would check into that.