Home Improvement

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
I'd Andy dufresne it, get a half inch brush and paint 2 hours an evening. Get a set up to clean the brush every night easily.
Been a while since I looked at this thread, sorry for bringing up such an old post.

Anyway, don't wash your paint brushes every day if you use the same paint with em. Wrap it with cling wrap and toss it in the freezer. Pull them out one or two hour before you resume work the next day.

Saves a lot of time you'd waste washing your brush and rollers every day and saves the paint that still sitting on them.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
I've painted my whole house two years ago over the course of two weeks. After a while the paintbrushes and rollers get worn out, but freeze and thaw isn't whats causing the big wear. Really saves a lot of hassle on large projects where you're painting for 8+ hours daily.

Youmightget some extra life out of your cutting brush if you're meticulous and clean it well every day (if there's tiny bit of paint left in the base of the bristle and it dries overnight, you'd have been better off freezing) but it's hardly worth the time. That's not even counting the beating your gear takes when you're washing it which makes it a wash if you ask me.

For long term storage, wash your stuff obviously, freezing isn't a long term option.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I've gotten frustrated with sticky brushes after hours before but I may have been outside. I'm really surprised that worked for 2 weeks. I would freeze rollers and it was fine but brushes ended up bad off so I gave it up pretty quick.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah that's your issue.

As you work, the paint on the brush dries up and gets thicker, every time you add paint to your brush that thickened paint gets diluted so the brush remains supple. Outdoor that thickening happens faster. So the brush get sticky after a while. Washing your brush at the end of the day acts as a reset for the next day. If you freeze it, then yeah, your paintbrush is still going to be near piece of shit it was the previous evening and will be useless before lunch.

Indoor that process is slow enough it can take several days before the brush get sticky. If you've been freezing it, by the time the brush gets sticky, you've been using it long enough it's not much of a waste to toss it and get a new one.

I'm sure you figured that one out, but I figured that breaking it down might be good for novices painters lurking.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Best way to deal with thorn plants there are too big to weed whack? I've had to resort to a shovel and pulling them by hand, but it's slow and hazardous.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Are you going to plant something in their place or do you just want them dead and gone?

If you just want them gone, use some bigass pruning shears or tree trimming shears to cut them down as low to the ground as you can and then Roundup the shit out of the stumps, they won't come back. Digging up roots/stumps is the worst.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
They're grown near my fence and make it a pain to mow nearby. Not bad idea with Roundup, not sure if it damage the grass though.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Roundup pretty much just kills where it is applied. .i.e. a 6-inch diameter spraying of Roundup will annihilate anything in that 6 inch radius but it won't kill much outside of there. It's very easy to use for spot spraying weeds with a small, focused stream of spray with little collateral damage.

I actually spray roundup in about an inch wide line all along my fence to prevent grass and weeds growing so close to the fence that i have to use a weedeater. Works great and looks no different from a distance.

Picasso3

Drywall getting delivered tomorrow. Still some small areas to frame and scotch for edge of drywall to hit but largely done.

Picasso3

Water damaged ceiling in rental below kitchen sink. Can't tell where it's coming from but I think it's still ongoing but maybe they just overflowed the sink. Drain line is 1.5 inch copper. What are the odds of that corroding through? House is 60s, pipe looks great on the underside but i think it has a horizontal section in wall. Have to cut out the back of the cabinet to check it. I'll prob end up doing that anyway because they have it hooked into the wall with a fernco and it irks me.

There was some dampness below the supply pipes which are also copper but i can't see anything wrong with them and i suspect any water under the sink would find its way out by running down those pipes. My other thought is i have the tiniest pinhole leak of all time but it seems like it would be consistent and not cause a shit ton of water damage and then largely dry up.

Moogalak

<Gold Donor>
i have seen copper degrade and look like it had been perforated, but that is typically due to improper cathodic protection and the copper was buried in the ground. dont think that could happen inside a house, but I could be wrong!

Picasso3

The bottom is gone out of the copper at the elbow right past the wall. Amazing it didn't look way worse.

I'm worried the copper will be similarly fucked at the next joint before it cuts down to the ceiling where i have access. I may turn this elbow down to serve as a vent and run pvc and tie into the pipe in the basement with a tee keeping the existing drain line intact but functioning mainly as a vent

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So I'm trying to find the term for a style of pool 'coping' and I've failed to find any website or terms that fit to reference even though I've seen two pools like this. Basically what I envision the install process as being is pouring concrete in a four inch tall and wide rounded form as a lip right up to the pool edge, almost picture taking a pool noodle, slicing it lengthwise and taking one half and wrapping it around the edge as a shape.

They usually install a bunch of larger rocks/boulders in one or more sections to break it up and blend it in to scenery. They then coat the entire pool and edging with pebble tech in a darker finish to blend naturally with surrounding areas. I've seen it usually with matching grey or red rock landscaping and coordinated pavers for the walkway and patio in the rock areas. This makes it look more like a natural lagoon style pool because it blends in.

Does anyone know what style this is?