Home Improvement

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I have the 12 station Orbit B-Hyve, the indoor/outdoor version like in your link. They now have an indoor only version that has no knobs or buttons. It's just a smooth white flat hunk of plastic. The reason I mention that is because I have never used the knob/buttons on mine. It's just so much easier to program and control with my phone. The whole thing works very well.

I bought it originally for the geek factor of have a wifi timer but it has actually proven to be a very useful feature for when you need to trouble shoot your sprinklers. No more running back and forth or doing the walkie-talkie thing with your wife to get different zones to go on or off.

There's a smart water/water sense feature that I don't use. It combines internet weather with rain sensors and info about your lawn and soil that you provide to come up with a program for watering. I just don't bother. I pay for water by the season, not the gallon so I'm not as water conserving as I could be.
went with the 8station control-less bhyve, what really pushed me was my fucking hunter pro c controller does not seem to want to fucking run on the timer, man this is like some voodoo shit, i was just "thinking" about upgrading and the hunter proc decides to break down.

you said you don't use the smart water, is that only like internet calibrated? or do you use it along w/ water sensors? any idea on hooking up a hunter rain sensor to it? i was browsing the orbit forums and it appears that the admin will just update the firm ware server side if you give a mac address, pretty crazy customer support (which is why i just went w/ it).

that now basically puts my whole house on fucking smart home ville, i'm sure you get notifications if/when sprinklers run right?

lurker

Vyemm Raider
went with the 8station control-less bhyve, what really pushed me was my fucking hunter pro c controller does not seem to want to fucking run on the timer, man this is like some voodoo shit, i was just "thinking" about upgrading and the hunter proc decides to break down.

you said you don't use the smart water, is that only like internet calibrated? or do you use it along w/ water sensors? any idea on hooking up a hunter rain sensor to it? i was browsing the orbit forums and it appears that the admin will just update the firm ware server side if you give a mac address, pretty crazy customer support (which is why i just went w/ it).

that now basically puts my whole house on fucking smart home ville, i'm sure you get notifications if/when sprinklers run right?
Smart Watering is based on things like soil type, sun exposure, vegetation, slope, etc. These are parameters you input. I couldn't/didn't want to answer the questions so I just set the thing up like any other timer. I might revisit this feature.

Weather Sense just receives local weather info from the internet to adjust the watering. I don't know if it will use the Hunter sensor but I suspect it would. I would think using a rain sensor would be more accurate than the local weather report. I don't do either. I set delays manually if it rains or has rained.

I do get notifications.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Four 30 ft dumpsters later, yes. I'll grab a pic of the inside tomorrow.
End of day 5 of pressure washing
EC1F90EB-AAB3-494D-B2F9-48C7A921BE42.jpeg

And here’s how the front of the inside looks currently

1A04F5C1-B2EB-43C0-88A6-1C1687CE5FC1.jpeg
5083E5C4-970D-48DC-9333-358B0AFB32E5.jpeg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Later this week I close on selling my house. So I guess I'll be homeless again lol. Paid a surveryer friend to cut off part of the land with the house and asked around for anyone interested. Now to get all the shit moved.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
whys the side walk sloped like it's a delivery area?
Now that you mention it, I’m really not sure. The original building was built in 1907 and was a Dodge dealership. I think the front part was added in the 40s or 50s, but surely that curb doesn’t predate the 40s? No idea why it’s shaped like that unless they had people parking up against the building maybe?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Smart Watering is based on things like soil type, sun exposure, vegetation, slope, etc. These are parameters you input. I couldn't/didn't want to answer the questions so I just set the thing up like any other timer. I might revisit this feature.

Weather Sense just receives local weather info from the internet to adjust the watering. I don't know if it will use the Hunter sensor but I suspect it would. I would think using a rain sensor would be more accurate than the local weather report. I don't do either. I set delays manually if it rains or has rained.

I do get notifications.
i went full hog on smart watering, it was a bit annoying answering so many redundant questions.

i also skipped adding in my rain sensor for now

i hope it's all set and forget

iannis

Musty Nester
Now that you mention it, I’m really not sure. The original building was built in 1907 and was a Dodge dealership. I think the front part was added in the 40s or 50s, but surely that curb doesn’t predate the 40s? No idea why it’s shaped like that unless they had people parking up against the building maybe?
looks like multiple layers.

There's also no gutter. And you've got a storm drain right there.

So just a hodgepodge of "this will do" resulting in "what was this supposed to do?"

• 1Truth!

lurker

Vyemm Raider
i went full hog on smart watering, it was a bit annoying answering so many redundant questions.

i also skipped adding in my rain sensor for now

i hope it's all set and forget
You're a better man than I, Gunga Din. Keep us posted on how it works.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
You're a better man than I, Gunga Din. Keep us posted on how it works.
the scary part is not knowing how long each station will run for, i guess i'll have to rely on the app telling me when it stops and also security cams.

but i already found the app awesome, i was in my backyard and i was mapping the a sprinkler i wanted to raise. just took out the app and turned it on, then turned it off, fucking saved so much time, i mean i also raise/lower my garage door too when i mow/yard work w/ my phone (i don't like being in the back yard and having my door open).

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I bought a few risers (they're actually extensions, risers have no threads on the inside) and tested out two new 6in sprinkler bodies instead of the 4in. The 6in gets A LOT of clearance, i only used 2 for this one trouble spot in my back yard (it was previously where a tree was).

but i plan to dig up the majority of the sprinklers and raise em all up.

it's not that bad, i used this crown method

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
End of day 7 of pressure washing.

D9E26F25-D29B-478F-AE23-451151087DE5.jpeg

Yesterday was slow going because one of the washers kept shitting the bed. First the fuel line tore near tank so i replaced that, then the engine kept overheating and dying. I changed the oil and it looked like it’d never been changed before. It ran fairly well after the oil change but that was towards the end of the day.

iannis

Musty Nester
You can see where they used to have a sign attached.

It looks a lot better than that white paint. I don't know what you could do to clean it up more. That splotchyness is not great. That might just be how it has to stay though.

Restoring every single brick sounds ridiculous even in theory. In practice it would take a month and be very much not worth the time.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Looks great! Plenty of room for a monster sign along the top to liven it up. Would be sweet to get an arch front door since the brick is done. I always liked them but always assume they are super expensive.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
You can see where they used to have a sign attached.

It looks a lot better than that white paint. I don't know what you could do to clean it up more. That splotchyness is not great. That might just be how it has to stay though.

Restoring every single brick sounds ridiculous even in theory. In practice it would take a month and be very much not worth the time.
I’m assuming you’re talking about the left side above the window? Fortunately that’s just an area we need to go back and hit again. Some areas the paint is super stubborn and that area was the end of a day and we haven’t gone back to it again yet.

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Looks great! Plenty of room for a monster sign along the top to liven it up. Would be sweet to get an arch front door since the brick is done. I always liked them but always assume they are super expensive.
The plan is to do something like this in this spot:

37ED2437-4206-48D7-8815-5BEC60C7C198.jpeg

22400D7E-B2BF-4C64-90F8-6DD5063593F5.jpeg

F47307EC-ECCC-44DF-BF60-BBB824A7E4FB.jpeg

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I’m assuming you’re talking about the left side above the window? Fortunately that’s just an area we need to go back and hit again. Some areas the paint is super stubborn and that area was the end of a day and we haven’t gone back to it again yet.
damn, whats the rated psi of those machines you renting?

also is there an option for hot water?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

No, above the door and windows there is a larger rectangle where a sign used to be. It's fine. I think that kind of stuff adds character, and doesn't bother me at all. You're doing good work.

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
damn, whats the rated psi of those machines you renting?

also is there an option for hot water?
4500ish. We’re using these “contractor” nozzles that rotate. They work pretty good, but the paint stripper is the real champion. Without it the paint comes off in tiny pieces (like an egg shell stuck to a boiled egg). With it, it can come off in big sheets (like old sunburnt skin). The pressure washer just helps lift the paint away from the brick.
No, above the door and windows there is a larger rectangle where a sign used to be. It's fine. I think that kind of stuff adds character, and doesn't bother me at all. You're doing good work.
Ah, I think I see now. I believe that is also an area of stubborn blue paint on the mortar that doesn’t show well in the picture. We’ve got the lift until Tuesday and plan to finish the remaining white area Sunday then clean up on Monday.

916D538C-64EA-4864-B563-5E0BD634E149.jpeg