Home Improvement

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Stupid maybe question

House has super thick plaster walls. I used an electronic stud finder and no dice, super inconsistent. Got the recommended magnet one, works on our inner drywall perfect but not the thick plaster outer walls. Some walls i can see a bulge where the stud is, but most not. I need to mount a heavy tv mount so I don't want to fuck this up. I found the stud by measuring from a corner and hoping it was at 16, drilling a small hole and verifying it was a stud. Is that my best hope here? Is there some other method I'm not aware of ?
Could just have my wife stop by, she found me real easy...Stud Finder.

INB4 ALL THE DUMB CUCK JOKES

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Stupid maybe question

House has super thick plaster walls. I used an electronic stud finder and no dice, super inconsistent. Got the recommended magnet one, works on our inner drywall perfect but not the thick plaster outer walls. Some walls i can see a bulge where the stud is, but most not. I need to mount a heavy tv mount so I don't want to fuck this up. I found the stud by measuring from a corner and hoping it was at 16, drilling a small hole and verifying it was a stud. Is that my best hope here? Is there some other method I'm not aware of ?

That's what I would do. Since you're putting up a tv its fine if you drill a bunch of tiny holes, you'll be patching the mounting holes anyway if you take it down.

Make sure you're not on the absolute edge of the stud too.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, if you miss it's not a big deal since you're going to hang the TV in front of it anyway. The 16" on center thing should find it. Sometimes you can tap on the drywall and sort of tell where it is too.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
There are no stud finders that do any better when you have plaster and lath. It's a serious pain in the ass, but you seem to have landed on the best method possible.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Stupid maybe question

if you just happened upon the stud, imo drill a 3in screw in there and hang a 20lb weight and make sure you didn't just like snag the edge of the stud. my garage was not 16 on center the whole way, i hung a wall of shelves and two were 15on center then 16...

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Well 3/4 holes were definitely center. Not sure on the 4th, but close enough. Coincidentally the mount weighs way more than my tv so that's a blessing.

Pissed me the fuck off finding studs though. The tapping method doesn't work well on the plaster and lath. There are some spots it does but mostly not. Also the bend in the walls. I got it up though. The bolts are a solid 3 inches into the studs so I think we're good. I pulled with my body weight a bit and it didn't move. I'll watch it because of that 4th bolt.

I've still gotta figure out what I want to do for the wires. I have no evidence of this, but being built in 1942 I'm worried about purlin walls

IMG_20200106_220733.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Well 3/4 holes were definitely center. Not sure on the 4th, but close enough. Coincidentally the mount weighs way more than my tv so that's a blessing.

Pissed me the fuck off finding studs though. The tapping method doesn't work well on the plaster and lath. There are some spots it does but mostly not. Also the bend in the walls. I got it up though. The bolts are a solid 3 inches into the studs so I think we're good. I pulled with my body weight a bit and it didn't move. I'll watch it because of that 4th bolt.

I've still gotta figure out what I want to do for the wires. I have no evidence of this, but being built in 1942 I'm worried about purlin walls

View attachment 241789
Now you just need some cable management...

These are paintable.
1578368593894.png

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

View attachment 241789
yea like Oblio Oblio saying, just google "corner duct raceway" since your tv is in the corner is kinda perfect
5a4296a9e8553d0c5244f0c4274a67da.jpg

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yep after thinking about it im just gonna do that. Originally I was gonna cut holes but worried about purlin and also makes no sense. My trim is white so I night get away without even painting it

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Well I'm not in Boston, I'm south east bordering Rhode island. I just always figured the cost.of them would outweigh the benefits for many years. Is that right?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Well I'm not in Boston, I'm south east bordering Rhode island. I just always figured the cost.of them would outweigh the benefits for many years. Is that right?
your state is actually the best for incentives
47989c5498da71d6a596ed57ef5345da.png

so if anyone "should" get solar it'd be you, also use google to see how much sun you get

i randomly picked a cemetary in providence, sun seemed good.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

In Indiana people are told it isn't worth it. And we don't have a lot of sunny days from November to April. However, I do have a friend who put up big solar collectors, and they have improved so much that they even collect on cloudy days. He only draws a few dollars of electricity from the grid each month. This is in a zone with failing grades across the board for solar power.
This same guy has deals with local restaurants, too. He collects their used fryer oil and makes biodiesel to power all his vehicles, including his car, truck, and tractors. He's hardcore. Also heats his house with nothing but wood, and installed a wood-burner that runs radiant heat under his floors. I'm going to his house when the bomb drops.

Vinen

God is dead
Its worth it in MA. MA has some of the highest prices for electricity. Pretty much just Hawaii and Alaska pay more.

Animale

Trakanon Raider
My parents live on Guam - their payback time for solar was ~3 yrs. Where I'm at now the payback would be 10+ so not worth it right now. Living by a nuclear plant keeps our electricity prices fairly steady so long-term doesn't look great for solar either.
Oh well!