Home Improvement

Nija

<Silver Donator>
The 18v Milwaukee string trimmer is great. I have M18 FUEL QUIK-LOK line and I've been using it on my new-to-me place on 5 acres. To get everything I now have 12Ah battery, 8Ah, and two 4Ahs. I have the limb saw and the hedging attachment. It's really good.

My wife has been doing weather stripping in the house and (more importantly) in the office area of my shop. She's taking over about half the office space for crafting and magic.

No light leaking around the front door anymore!

signal-2020-09-18-142544.jpeg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
The 18v Milwaukee string trimmer is great. I have M18 FUEL QUIK-LOK line and I've been using it on my new-to-me place on 5 acres. To get everything I now have 12Ah battery, 8Ah, and two 4Ahs. I have the limb saw and the hedging attachment. It's really good.

My wife has been doing weather stripping in the house and (more importantly) in the office area of my shop. She's taking over about half the office space for crafting and magic.

No light leaking around the front door anymore!

View attachment 303389

That is a beautiful door. I'm mildly jelly.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Haus

<Silver Donator>
So.. I come to the wisdom of this board for a judgement call. I have a situation on my hand.

I am part owner (via a trust) in the house I was raised in. My mother currently lives in the house by herself (my uncle also lived in the house, but passed away a couple months ago). The house is going to need repairs, considerable ones. Not the least of which will be replacing a ton of sheetrock in the house, including ceilings. This place is about to become my "every Saturday project" for a year or two at this rate. heh

Well, there's a shed out back which used to be a catch all. After my grandfather died in 97 (it was his tool shed and workshop), my mother, grandmother, uncles, everybody just used it as a general storage shed. I now know I'm going to need to use is to store materials for working on the house, plus tools and other stuff. I go over there and take the first real look at the shed I had in years.. It's not in a good shape. Almost the entire roof of it needs to be replaced, meaning water damage on the inside, the floor is essentially rotted through. I throw a tarp over it to keep more water from getting in, but it's damage done at this point.

20200919_133557.jpg

20200919_131136.jpg

20200919_131127.jpg

So.... Rebuilt it, or tear it down and deal with dropping a PODS or something in there to store building materials?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I'd completely rebuild. You don't know what condition the floor joists are in, but you can guess because of how much water damage there is everywhere else. Even if you get it water tight now, you are going to have mold always in that thing. It's going to stink and be unhealthy.

Now that's just me. There are guys who just love rehabing things of this sort. To me, it's just easier, and brings way more peace of mind to start fresh. Perhaps you'll be able to reuse the original footings or whatever anchors it to the ground?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So.. I come to the wisdom of this board for a judgement call. I have a situation on my hand.

I am part owner (via a trust) in the house I was raised in. My mother currently lives in the house by herself (my uncle also lived in the house, but passed away a couple months ago). The house is going to need repairs, considerable ones. Not the least of which will be replacing a ton of sheetrock in the house, including ceilings. This place is about to become my "every Saturday project" for a year or two at this rate. heh

Well, there's a shed out back which used to be a catch all. After my grandfather died in 97 (it was his tool shed and workshop), my mother, grandmother, uncles, everybody just used it as a general storage shed. I now know I'm going to need to use is to store materials for working on the house, plus tools and other stuff. I go over there and take the first real look at the shed I had in years.. It's not in a good shape. Almost the entire roof of it needs to be replaced, meaning water damage on the inside, the floor is essentially rotted through. I throw a tarp over it to keep more water from getting in, but it's damage done at this point.

So.... Rebuilt it, or tear it down and deal with dropping a PODS or something in there to store building materials?
you can rent out that shed to a horror movie director

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I'd completely rebuild. You don't know what condition the floor joists are in, but you can guess because of how much water damage there is everywhere else. Even if you get it water tight now, you are going to have mold always in that thing. It's going to stink and be unhealthy.

Now that's just me. There are guys who just love rehabing things of this sort. To me, it's just easier, and brings way more peace of mind to start fresh. Perhaps you'll be able to reuse the original footings or whatever anchors it to the ground?
you can rent out that shed to a horror movie director

Tomorrow I should know more. I think I'm going to head back over, cut the floor out and get a complete look at the underbelly of the beast...

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Tomorrow I should know more. I think I'm going to head back over, cut the floor out and get a complete look at the underbelly of the beast...

If everything blow the floor is rock solid, then I'd make a case for rebuilding, as the sidewalls look pretty solid, too. I just think you're going to find wet, moldy, spongy joists.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So my AC unit can't keep up with florida summer temps as much as I'd like. Condensor and handler are 26 years old but in good condition..

I really don't want to fuck with handler since it's in attic and ideally down the road I'd move it out of the attic by maybe building onto house..

Could a bigger condensor solve my issue and also be reusable when I eventually replace the handler?
no, in terms of bigger ac, it might not be good, and could be worse, many homes have AC issues cuz they just think bigger is better, when you need to have the properly sized units in, for instance upgrading to a more btu unit could choke out your ac cuz youre now not getting enough return air.

if its been working "fine" all these years, then it was probably properly sized, and it's just getting old or dirty or you need some freon.

first steps

1. change your ac filter
imo, get a non restrictive filter first, one of those "blue" filters, if you instantly notice cooling is better, then your filters were either dirty or restrictive (merv 1-5)

heres a chart on merv ratings
MERV-Chart-1-20.jpg

3m has their own filter ratings, i use merv cuz it's an industry standard.

for reference i have merv 12 cuz of my wifes allergies, merv13 chokes out my ac

clean your condensor outside

the video shows you a foam spray, i used that b4, i now use this
Nu-Calgon 4291-08 Nu-Brite, 1- Gallon

does it work better? it "looks" cleaner, after 3uses it's way cheaper. i also use it to clean out my cars radiator, but you can just pick up a can of foam spray for now and just use a garden hose, no pressure washer cuz fins are delicate

then your condsor is old so your fins are probably all banged up, get a fin comb
Supco FCR6 Fin Comb Ring

i did this when i first bought the house, a few hours cuz some fins looked like they got smashed by rocks, sometimes you use a knife/flat screwdriver instead, you'd learn easily

level your conderer and replace any rotted off foam insulation on the lines and thats all you can do for it

3. clean your a coil

if all that doesn't work call out a ac guy, he'll probably try to fill it up with freon first then.

• 1Like

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yesterday morning I go out to the tiki shed and find a bunch of broken glasses and something took a dump on top of my pellet smoker. I cleaned out the storage area in the back and found this guy:

opossum 1.jpg

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Either have to kill it or drive 10+ miles away and dump it somewhere. Then, might as well set up a rat trap or two (out of sight) with peanut butter bait, in case anything else decides to hang around.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
The door knobs and locks on my house are super old and I think kinda cheap. Gotta wiggle them just right or hard to turn etc.

Is it worth rekeying or just buy new locks? What is the best brand for locks and door knobs for doors that go outside?

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Either have to kill it or drive 10+ miles away and dump it somewhere. Then, might as well set up a rat trap or two (out of sight) with peanut butter bait, in case anything else decides to hang around.

My wife would not let me kill it, which may have been a good call, we'll see. I walked it a few blocks away and released it into the storm sewer. I ordered a new threshold weather strip to go under the garage door and I ordered a trap which I'll bait and leave in there for good. I figured I'd use dry catfood instead of peanut butter so it won't attract flies.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That works too. Do you have gaps between the walls and the eaves, since it's not your actual house? He could have crawled in that way too.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
The door knobs and locks on my house are super old and I think kinda cheap. Gotta wiggle them just right or hard to turn etc.

Is it worth rekeying or just buy new locks? What is the best brand for locks and door knobs for doors that go outside?

The Kwikset locks are pretty good for their price, and they make it easy to rekey the locks yourself so all the doors can be keyed the same. I've had them on my house now for 12 years, no issues. Now, I don't typically lock my doors, so dunno what to make of that.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

how old are your doors and style? you might have some mortise doors
s-l300.jpg

if you have regular cylinder locks
Iron-Doors-Deadbolt-Lock-Entry.jpg

and youre only buying from a big box store, i'd only recommend schlage

a basic schlage deadbolt is like 25bucks from menards, so it's not expensive

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
so i had wanted a deep chest freezer ever since covid, but they were the first things sold out... and now
2703b82796b11db0fd9435388701fc36.png

they practically don't exist, i'm not even looking for anything huge, just a 5cu one, i could get one from amazon for 300 but thats covid 2x the price.

so anyway i was returning my car battery to walmart (give them your old battery for partial refund) and i just saw on a pallet 4, 5cu deep freezers for 170$ wow!!!

now, does a 5cu deep freezer fit in a honda civic?

yup, with the box even!

i'll probably just put it in my sun room, honestly the basement would be ideal and fine but it's so far away i know i wouldn't use it, the sunroom is right across from the kitchen.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Family friends down in Phoenix finally were able to get their remodel started after COVID delays by their contractor, so that means I was finally able to get the entire kitchens worth of cabinets to finish my remodel. Also while there, they decided not to keep the granite countertops, and so I got a bunch of solid pieces of that, including a 79x42 island piece for free. Fuck yea!! Picked out the quartz and had it templated yesterday, and so things are moving along finally!

20200915_052743.jpg20200917_093548.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
so i had wanted a deep chest freezer ever since covid, but they were the first things sold out... and now
2703b82796b11db0fd9435388701fc36.png

they practically don't exist, i'm not even looking for anything huge, just a 5cu one, i could get one from amazon for 300 but thats covid 2x the price.

so anyway i was returning my car battery to walmart (give them your old battery for partial refund) and i just saw on a pallet 4, 5cu deep freezers for 170$ wow!!!

now, does a 5cu deep freezer fit in a honda civic?

yup, with the box even!

i'll probably just put it in my sun room, honestly the basement would be ideal and fine but it's so far away i know i wouldn't use it, the sunroom is right across from the kitchen.

I seriously hope you took a picture of your Civic with a freezer in it.

• 1Like