Home Improvement

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
i basically have this in my soon to be new garage
95c536740fc05d6bd52316028f2529d3.png

this takes up a garage slot, and weighs more than my civic.

i knew this going in, this was my second choice house but market is so crazy, just get what you can...

i called 2 storm shelter companies, they don't really take them apart but if i wanted it'd be 6k which is basically what this cost.

so...

i'm gonna wire my garage for 240, so i can buy a plasma cutter and chip away at this thing 100lbs at a time.

thoughts?

Step 1: Sell it as a giant gun safe
Step 2: Profit

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
i basically have this in my soon to be new garage
95c536740fc05d6bd52316028f2529d3.png

this takes up a garage slot, and weighs more than my civic.

i knew this going in, this was my second choice house but market is so crazy, just get what you can...

i called 2 storm shelter companies, they don't really take them apart but if i wanted it'd be 6k which is basically what this cost.

so...

i'm gonna wire my garage for 240, so i can buy a plasma cutter and chip away at this thing 100lbs at a time.

thoughts?
Put it on some local Craig’s list thing and sell it for free, they just haul away.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Tornado season soon. In a few weeks he will be posting how he had to hide in his skanky crawl space for an hour while his wife beat him with her sandal and cursed him for cutting it apart.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

thoughts?
I have a plasma cutter and it is the coolest tool in my shop, so if you really want one, by all means get it. However, if you just want to cut some metal it would be way cheaper and easier to get one of these and a big box of cutoff wheels...

MTA600507420_c82ac216-f6ae-47ca-a70c-93452ae76bc0_1056x1056.jpg

It will take quite a few wheels but nothing made of metal can stand up to that sucker for long and it's a fraction of the cost of either a plasma cutter or an acetylene torch plus no 240 outlet required.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>

In addition to what they found, being able to cut that well with an acetylene torch takes a lot more skill than using the grinder. A DIYer is not going to be able to cut that well with a torch but they can with the grinder.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>

In addition to what they found, being able to cut that well with an acetylene torch takes a lot more skill than using the grinder. A DIYer is not going to be able to cut that well with a torch but they can with the grinder.
i guess i should use the angle grinder first, i just thought i'd be going through a bucket of discs

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
A 4.5" will be considerably slower than the 6", but it will get the job done.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Put it on some local Craig’s list thing and sell it for free, they just haul away.
Thats the first thing I would try. People love free shit.

Its gonna take you a month to cut through that thing for more manageable pieces.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
It's pretty weird that they put it in in the first place. Do they have a lot of tornadoes in Nashville or something? I don't really think of that as a natural disaster type of place. Having a bomb/tornado shelter buried in the yard seems like a much better option than giving up half your garage.

$6K to remove it is retarded though.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Anyone here ever install whole-home water softeners? I'm getting a bunch of mineralization in the bottoms of my toilets, and a significant amount of scale on my pool tiles that I suspect is because of this hard Edmond water. I see I can buy a water softener for like $1k to cover my home but hoping to install myself. Any experience here?

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Mine was professionally installed. I don't really see anything about it that's that tricky though. The main consideration would be testing your water's hardness and getting the regeneration frequency set correctly.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone here ever install whole-home water softeners? I'm getting a bunch of mineralization in the bottoms of my toilets, and a significant amount of scale on my pool tiles that I suspect is because of this hard Edmond water. I see I can buy a water softener for like $1k to cover my home but hoping to install myself. Any experience here?
Yeah, it was easy, I have PEX though. Just buy shark bite fittings, run lines to it, install an inline bypass. Also put a whole house filter on it. I fucked up and bought the wrong fittings because it was all my local place had but they were easy enough to find online and replace. PEX is just so easy to work with changes like that don’t take much work. All together I spent ~$650 compared to the $2k contractors wanted for it.

• 1Like