Home Improvement

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Ya that’s quarter of an inch. I’d have a structural engineer take a look…. Could be drainage issues. May need to have your foundation stabilized. Etc. First get a good structural eng.
Structural engineers just left, they said all good.
2D3DA027-1E14-44D8-9C55-0E567295E304.jpeg

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
get that 3$ mortar tube from hd to cover up your seems then heh

note, it pumps out real fast! and i was using a no drip caulk gun
Cool, will do. Just had another company come out, his reference point was back of house and got the same readings. Says within tolerance and nothing recommended at this time.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
So then they said it’s just cosmetic? I’d get it fixed either way tbh but I’m ocd/add and that looks terrible (no offense, it’s fixable!)
Yeah, I am as surprised as you are. Works for me though, didn't want to spend the 10K+ on foundation repairs.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
is that sit/stand frame a dual motor or single motor?

my wifes sit/stand w/ a single motor moves it up and down in under 5s, but the table is mdf.
I believe it is a 4 motor, one for each leg. This one has little to no wobble at standing height, and it can support 600lbs.

I was going to hold off on ordering it, as my remodel will not be done for 2-3 months. However, I purchased it yesterday because they had an awesome deal.
1643823339441.png

So now my wife is getting a free sit/sand desk.

Last edited:
  • 1Mother of God

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
1643823861265.png

I'm going to start making desktops. That's $100 worth of Maple. I'll have my 36" sander paid for in a month.

1643824006652.png

• 2Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I believe it is a 4 motor, one for each leg. This one has little to no wobble at standing height, and it can support 600lbs.

I was going to hold off on ordering it, as my remodel will not be done for 2-3 months. However, I purchased it yesterday because they had an awesome deal.
View attachment 396356
So now my wife is getting a free sit/sand desk.
jesus christ 600lbs?

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Any suggestions on brand of well pump? Guys are coming this morning to see if my 3” well has water in it. Think I’m definitely going to go submersible pump. This will be for irrigation.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Holy shit that’s an awesome profit margin. Is it easy for you to find good maple ?

I buy most project wood from here because our local specialty hardwood place is an hour outside of town. It is nice to go to and they’re extremely nice to work with, but as a hobbyist I don’t have 3 hours to spend when I just want a few pieces for a small project.

If you sourced or locally like that it’s cheaper per BF, obviously. And you can hand pick your pieces.

These guys also have “project packs” and sample packs that ship free if you don’t need very specific widths and lengths. And they’ve been helpful over email and very quick to ship.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Any suggestions on brand of well pump? Guys are coming this morning to see if my 3” well has water in it. Think I’m definitely going to go submersible pump. This will be for irrigation.

I've never shopped for one because our well repair guys always have some on their truck and I just use whatever they sell. I think the last one that was put in was a Goulds. Our solar pumps are Grundfos, made in Germany and they're super nice, but really expensive. I was going to buy a cheaper one when these die but I just talked to a guy who said he had used the cheaper ones and just discovered Grundfos and they pump a lot more water than the cheap pumps with the same amount of solar panels so so much for that idea. They are kind of cool though because they can run on anywhere from 30 to 300 volts, AC or DC. If the solar panels aren't getting the job done, you can just unplug the pump from the panels and plug it straight into an AC generator and pump all night if you want.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
I've never shopped for one because our well repair guys always have some on their truck and I just use whatever they sell. I think the last one that was put in was a Goulds. Our solar pumps are Grundfos, made in Germany and they're super nice, but really expensive. I was going to buy a cheaper one when these die but I just talked to a guy who said he had used the cheaper ones and just discovered Grundfos and they pump a lot more water than the cheap pumps with the same amount of solar panels so so much for that idea. They are kind of cool though because they can run on anywhere from 30 to 300 volts, AC or DC. If the solar panels aren't getting the job done, you can just unplug the pump from the panels and plug it straight into an AC generator and pump all night if you want.
Went with grundfos. New tank + submersible pump + some automatic switch thingy = 3k. Submersible pump is awesome

Gator

Molten Core Raider
growing up we had a creosote fire like this.
View attachment 394122
we didn't even know what was going on, a guy driving by saw it and alerted us. it was an outside chimney (flush against side of the house, not part of the house), so there wasn't really any damage.
Ok, now you've peaked my interest. I had to look up what creosote is but I'm assuming you achieve this by having a dirty chimney? How often do you have to clean a chimney or that depends on what's burning? Is that still a thing? I've never had a fireplace so I find them fascinating.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Ok, now you've peaked my interest. I had to look up what creosote is but I'm assuming you achieve this by having a dirty chimney? How often do you have to clean a chimney or that depends on what's burning? Is that still a thing? I've never had a fireplace so I find them fascinating.
If you are burning wood you are building up creosote in the chimney over time. There are special blocks you can buy to burn in there that gets rid of it. As far as actually getting it cleaned I’m not sure. My old neighborhood had wood fireplaces and I never saw a cleaning company. I’m guessing people just didn’t use them enough to warrant it. Wood fireplaces are a pain to clean up after, and your house gets all smoky when lighting it. They also are either no blower so don’t heat much up except the chimney itself, or a blower so the room gets hot as fuck. We probably used ours 4 or 5 times in the 8 years we lived there.

• 1Like

Goatface

we got our 1st stove during the oil shortage. it was homemade standing steel box. single walled top loader. it would turn cherry red. iirc was on a waiting list for like year plus to get a new one. it was a side loader, thick walls, bricks and blower. dad will reminisce about how great it was, get up in the morning and be able to stand next to it. mom on the other hand will bring up getting up at 5am when it was cold and have to build a fire.
i still prefer to sleep in the cold.

• 1Solidarity