Home Improvement

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Deathwing, was just reading your post in Tech Forum, did you finish up running the cable through your house? I started to do that when we moved in, with the intent to follow the coax runs with a fish but got basically nowhere. At one point I had the model number of the wall box the coax was coming out of and it was pretty tight, basically only enough space to pass the one run through. I need something to do other than drink on the weekends and want to revisit this project... while drinking.
Haven't even bought the materials yet. Relatively minor purchase, but I'm glad I held off since I was laid off today.

Anyone need a programmer with C++ and Java experience? I do hardware shit too.

dolaan_sl

shitlord
I am sorry Deathwing, something will come up

I just bought a new house and it has Coax everywhere and I need it for Direct TV and my Cable internet. Is there different grades of Coax and is it any advantage to rerun all new coax?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Stupid question but what are new construction houses using if not coax RG-59? Do they just assume it'll be Uverse or Fios or some other CAT5/6 distributed signal throughout the house?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
No, I think coax is coax. It just has different levels of shielding which sets them apart.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Trapped in Randomonia>
TV and Internet can be distributed with Cat6 cable just fine. Better than fine, actually. It's a much better signal than coax. Plus, running cable is not really necessary like it used to be. You'll have point of entry, and from that spot, most things can now be done wirelessly. Television no longer needs things plugged into the wall, but a wireless receiver that can go anywhere. Internet can be done wirelessly, even for desktop computers.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I agree but that being said, you still cannot get true 1080P with wireless, and honestly I still prefer to have my desktops hardwired than using wireless.

And TV will rely on your cable receiver more than anything. Most of your cable receivers still use coax, other than maybe Uverse which has the wireless thing going on.

Wireless also has its limits depending on how many devices you are running, is it not?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Trapped in Randomonia>
I'm sure wireless is limited to a certain number of devices, but how many are you running? I'm running a TV, three laptops, two iPads, and three phones when home. Never had an issue. And as far as desktop computers, I don't see myself ever owning one again. I don't do games, and I prefer to sit away from my desk if I'm surfing for pleasure.

The issue about true 1080P is worth thinking about, though. Picture quality is pretty important to me, and I've been pretty happy with the set up I've got, but I don't have cable tv, everything I watch is either Netflix (wireless) or rabbit ears.

In any case, I see cat6 cable replacing coax in homes very soon.

Additionally, I don't have a single phone jack or an inch of telephone wiring in my house anymore. Do most people here still have a land line? I see that disappearing from homes, too.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Stupid question but what are new construction houses using if not coax RG-59? Do they just assume it'll be Uverse or Fios or some other CAT5/6 distributed signal throughout the house?
FWIW I never ran RG-59 for cable myself, RG-59 was always for security cameras or whatever and I've always ever run RG-6 in homes. I'm sure people have run RG-59 for cable but I remember running RG-6 back in the '90s, so I'm not sure when people would have run RG-59 as a standard for home cable (if it ever was).

I'm surprised that fiber isn't more prevalent, honestly. It's starting to creep in to some homes but I can remember hearing talk about it 'blowing up the market' 20 years ago and stuff like RG-6 is still everywhere. And I'm not even talking about Google fiber either.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I would be glad to get rid of my land line, its like $40 a month for basically nothing. But the wife refuses to let go. Last time I brought it up she was like "over my dead body".

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Trapped in Randomonia>
I would be glad to get rid of my land line, its like $40 a month for basically nothing. But the wife refuses to let go. Last time I brought it up she was like "over my dead body".
I find this so curious. I know others who have the same thought, but I just don't understand what you're holding onto the land line for. It's money for nothing (but not chicks for free).

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I dont understand either. We both have smartphones, and when the kids get old enough they will be getting theirs as well. But for some reason she does not want to let it go. It does not even have the advantages that old landlines had, like always being on, even during power outages. Since its tied in with my Uverse, the shit goes out, we have no phone either.

Fuck, even all her relatives dont have landlines anymore. Her brother, father, mother, none of them have landlines. I wish they would just shut down the entire system. Its obsolete tech that is not needed anymore.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I don't know anyone under the age of 50 with a land line in their home. My parents and my in-laws and my aunts/uncles ALL still have landlines, but they are also all in their 60s and 70s. Even though most at least have cell phones now too, they refuse to let go of that phone number that they've had for 40 years. It's like they're worried that some random person that hasn't called them in 20 years will all of a sudden need to contact them and won't know their cell number.

I try to convince them otherwise, especially the ones that have cell phones anyways, but it's just not happening.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Tell them to port the number to google voice and then just have gvoice forward onto their cell phones.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
FWIW I never ran RG-59 for cable myself, RG-59 was always for security cameras or whatever and I've always ever run RG-6 in homes. I'm sure people have run RG-59 for cable but I remember running RG-6 back in the '90s, so I'm not sure when people would have run RG-59 as a standard for home cable (if it ever was).
Yeah sorry I wasn't stuck on RG-59 vs. RG-6, it was just one I pulled out of the air as I was typing. Was more keying in on lurkingdirk's surprise that there was coax at all in homes today. If it is new construction or something what is everyone using today instead? And I've sense read the responses. Just not sure I could strip the house.

joeboo_sl said:
I don't know anyone under the age of 50 with a land line in their home. My parents and my in-laws and my aunts/uncles ALL still have landlines, but they are also all in their 60s and 70s. Even though most at least have cell phones now too, they refuse to let go of that phone number that they've had for 40 years. It's like they're worried that some random person that hasn't called them in 20 years will all of a sudden need to contact them and won't know their cell number.
In Arkansas at the end of 2001 (I think it was, +/- a couple of years) there were approximately 1.2M landlines. At the end of 2013 there were 250k. This was based onan interviewthat the President of AT&T for Arkansas recently conducted. It is actually putting a huge strain on local 911 because they are largely funded out of landline tarrifs whereas wireless is a much lower % or flat rate.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
That whole thing with uverse is kinda shady. They advertize it as fiber optics and all that, but its nothing more than phone line coming to my house with a coax going to my recievers.