Of course then, we'd be right back to where this thread started:

kkE5dfb.jpg

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Hey folks. So, my wife leaves for a week long camping excursion Monday through Friday next week. This means a pair of these will be showing up at the house next week as well :p

Here is the scoop and I want to make sure I have this correct. So I am going to place these two speakers to the right and left of my TV on the TV stand which sits about listening level, facing up towards the ceiling. My front surrounds are ceiling mounted firing diagonally down which are a bit wider apart. I have a Yamaha A770 Aventage. What it looks like I do here is connect these two speakers into the front presence inputs on the back of the receiver, and then I go into the config and I will have three choices. Front Height, Overhead, and Dolby Enabled SP.

I know I will not be using overhead because these are not mounted on the ceiling pointing down. Do I use Front Height or Dolby Enabled SP in this instance?

And afterwards, should I run YPAO again?

Or, even better, do I need to do any of that and after I plug in these bad boys can I just run YPAO again and have it automatically config Dolby Atmos to the best settings?

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Believe it or not, you would use overhead with those particular speakers. They are designed to shoot the sound up in a tight directional pattern, at an angle, hit the ceiling and then come back down at an angle and ideally hit you in the ears and sound as if you had a speaker directly over your head.

I have the same speakers. Not saying the effect actually gives you exactly what they are going for, but that is the theory anyway.

Definitely run YPAO after you get it all set up. Depending on how high you sit those speakers and how far back you sit in the room, you may have to adjust the dispersion angle. Some people go crazy with figuring out the exact angle, I just eyeballed it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
One more thing to consider, most of the folks on the Atmos forums say that you will be happier with both front and rear heights so you might consider ordering another pair of those.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Believe it or not, you would use overhead with those particular speakers. They are designed to shoot the sound up in a tight directional pattern, at an angle, hit the ceiling and then come back down at an angle and ideally hit you in the ears and sound as if you had a speaker directly over your head.

I have the same speakers. Not saying the effect actually gives you exactly what they are going for, but that is the theory anyway.

Definitely run YPAO after you get it all set up. Depending on how high you sit those speakers and how far back you sit in the room, you may have to adjust the dispersion angle. Some people go crazy with figuring out the exact angle, I just eyeballed it.

Awesome thanks. Are you noticing huge differences after installing these and listening to Dolby Atmos tracks?

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've been so busy building those subs the past few weeks I haven't hooked up the new receiver yet. I ditched the Denon and bought an NAD 758. I have it rack mounted but not yet plugged in, hoping to do that this weekend and watch Infinity War in Atmos. I'm not expecting a huge difference but I am always wondering if the grass is greener so I knew I'd eventually have to try out Atmos.

• 1Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So where's the best place to start on an extreme budget? Been 2 months in the new house, and the front room has the potential for some amazing sound and video. Vaulted ceilings and sky lights kinda suck, but I'm working with it! Wife already said that we need a bigger TV as the 55" LG OLED we have isn't big enough when we're all the way back on the couch 20 feet away.

Anyway, I wanna get some sound going in this room. I grew up around car audio for 30 years, as it was the family business, and there you always started with the head unit. So is it the same here? start with a good receiver and build out from there? If I wanted to get something poppin' right away so that Infinity War blew me away, would I start with a Surround Sound in a Box? Then upgrade from there? Just a good center channel or sound bar to start? My budget right now isn't gonna be enough I don't think to get 2 fronts, and a receiver.

I don't know where to start, but unfortunately my start is gonna be a few hundred bucks max. :(

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Grab a 7.1+ Yamaha Atmos receiver for $250, and a pair of $100 front speakers if you only have a couple hundred to start with. $100-150 center channel. $150 on a decent sub later. You can flesh out the rest of the speakers as you go. Get better front speakers and move the ones you got to surround. Plan out your wiring and wall mounting plans ahead of time. This is budget. Ideally you'd like $500 front L/R, $250 center, $100+/surround speaker. $3-500 for a sub, up to $700-1000 if the rest of your system is earth shattering.

Absolutely do NOT get a surround sound in a box or a sound bar. You'll end up trashing both of those when you get an actual setup.

• 1Like

Crone

Grab a 7.1+ Yamaha Atmos receiver for $250, and a pair of $100 front speakers if you only have a couple hundred to start with. $100-150 center channel. $150 on a decent sub later. You can flesh out the rest of the speakers as you go. Get better front speakers and move the ones you got to surround. Plan out your wiring and wall mounting plans ahead of time. This is budget. Ideally you'd like $500 front L/R, $250 center, $100+/surround speaker. $3-500 for a sub, up to $700-1000 if the rest of your system is earth shattering.

Absolutely do NOT get a surround sound in a box or a sound bar. You'll end up trashing both of those when you get an actual setup.
Awesome, thank you!

Vinen

God is dead
Upgrade in progress to my theater

Having the following work done.
- Install new Projector: Sony VPL-VW385ES
- Install/Configure new Control: Control4-EA5
- Organize/Label wiring
- Integrate the above with existing Receiver and Sound System and devices.

Going to cost about 14 grand. Half of that is the project which MSRP for 8K but through the channel my installer has I'm getting for 7.

In a year or two I'm going to gut renovate the room and change it's slighting/mood + install additional speakers.

Sweeeeeeeeet. Hopefully get this installed this weekend. Guy I contracted just sent me this.
41779805_2480270988657445_7302953689067552768_n.jpg

Last edited:

Crone

Recommendations for starting speakers to go with that Receiver up above?

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Got my RX-V583 in today, along with a pair of floor stand Yamaha speakers for $300. They're fairly full range, 80hz crossover, so a pretty clear upgrade from what were effectively surround speakers that I had up front. Waiting for my 18Gbps HDMI cables to get in to plug up the new receiver. Supposed to be here today, but hasn't shown up. Hopefully tomorrow?

Don't exactly have a large living room, so my wife gives me a funny look when I add new shit that takes up a little more space. Whatever, she watches 5x as much TV as I do, so she certainly enjoys the fruits of my research, investment, and labor.

20180928_180251.jpg

Yes, that is the bottom half of the Enterprise D, the stand broke, the saucer is still placed above one of the cabinets in my kitchen. Also an original NES, VHS/DVD-R combo (that wife uses to create permanent recordings of shit with), and a box of kid shit.

Samsung SUHD 55"
Samsung 4K BD player
Samsung HW-C700 (to be replaced by the Yamaha)
Yamaha right/left
Samsung center channel (left over cheap shit from an all in one unit, plan to replace with a $150 one once I can convince the wife to part with the VHS/DVD-R or at least move it, since it's not actually plugged in right now, so I can put the receiver there, and a nee center channel under the TV since it's fucking 14" deep and would fall off that above TV stand)
Samsung 4x surround speakers (from shit all in one, replacing two with the Bose I had up front once I get the wall mounting hardware)
Polk 10" sub (x2, other is on back wall)
Xbox One X
PS4 Pro
Switch

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I was also surprised the footprint of the Xbox One X was about 2.5" less deep than the PS4 Pro. Whether I should stack them or not? Meh.

Crone

Got my RX-V583 in today, along with a pair of floor stand Yamaha speakers for $300. They're fairly full range, 80hz crossover, so a pretty clear upgrade from what were effectively surround speakers that I had up front. Waiting for my 18Gbps HDMI cables to get in to plug up the new receiver. Supposed to be here today, but hasn't shown up. Hopefully tomorrow?

Don't exactly have a large living room, so my wife gives me a funny look when I add new shit that takes up a little more space. Whatever, she watches 5x as much TV as I do, so she certainly enjoys the fruits of my research, investment, and labor.

View attachment 177342

Yes, that is the bottom half of the Enterprise D, the stand broke, the saucer is still placed above one of the cabinets in my kitchen. Also an original NES, VHS/DVD-R combo (that wife uses to create permanent recordings of shit with), and a box of kid shit.

Samsung SUHD 55"
Samsung 4K BD player
Samsung HW-C700 (to be replaced by the Yamaha)
Yamaha right/left
Samsung center channel (left over cheap shit from an all in one unit, plan to replace with a $150 one once I can convince the wife to part with the VHS/DVD-R or at least move it, since it's not actually plugged in right now, so I can put the receiver there, and a nee center channel under the TV since it's fucking 14" deep and would fall off that above TV stand)
Samsung 4x surround speakers (from shit all in one, replacing two with the Bose I had up front once I get the wall mounting hardware)
Polk 10" sub (x2, other is on back wall)
Xbox One X
PS4 Pro
Switch
You're whole setup is giving me claustrophobic anxiety. Holy shit that's a ton of shit packed into a small space. Lol.

By comparison, I have a 55" TV, 1 PS4, and that's it. And the room has a 15-20ft viewing distance to the TV. Nice and open!

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
You're whole setup is giving me claustrophobic anxiety. Holy shit that's a ton of shit packed into a small space. Lol.

By comparison, I have a 55" TV, 1 PS4, and that's it. And the room has a 15-20ft viewing distance to the TV. Nice and open!
Hah! Claustrophobic and can't even see the space surrounding the TV. But it definitely is confined if I'm honest. Massive corner couch takes up 1/4 of the room. Otherwise give me all the tech. Cable covers running to the other sub and additional surround channels... If I wanted to do it proper and refurb my garage, it'd be cleaner, but gotta flush out the living space. Could literally have about three couples spooning on my living room couch, comfortably at that.

Crone

Saw these 3 receivers on Best Buy's recently released Black Friday ad. I'm sure they'd all work out ok, but recommendations? Thanks. Also wanna get 2 front speakers that eventually move to the back, but haven't looked for those yet.

Denon - IN-Command Series 560W 7.2-Ch. Bluetooth Capable With HEOS 4K Ultra HD HDR Compatible A/V Home Theater Receiver - Black

Sony - 725W 5.2-Ch. Hi-Res 4K Ultra HD A/V Home Theater Receiver - Black

Onkyo - TX 7.2-Ch. Hi-Res Network-Ready 4K Ultra HD and 3D Pass-Through A/V Home Theater Receiver - Black