Home Theater/Game Room Thread

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Denon is hella expensive (lots of hdmi inputs tho), Sony doesn't support DTS:X or Atmos, and the Onkyo reviews stated it has issues with sound quality, image quality on video sources less than 4K, and doesn't support pass through of HDR @60hz.

$289 YAMAHA RX-V583 7.2-Ch x 80 Watts Networking A/V Receiver
I can personally vouch for this badass. Supports everything, it's had two firmware updatesvia wifi in the last couple of months, detects everything I've plugged into it and displays it on the screen (dvr, bd player, Xbox one, ps4). Sound quality is fantastic as well, even makes my shitty rear speakers sound nice, and once I picked up two subs with my last receiver it's something I can't go without now. Full suite of customization, on screen settings, even has an ap you can adjust the settings on from your phone. I've owned $900 receivers that haven't made me as happy as this one.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I've got 3 kids age 5, 4, 2, and so floor standing speakers I think are out for the time being. I can just see them running around and knocking one of them over... Bleh. So, looking at these for 2 fronts for now.

Polk Audio - 5-1/4" Bookshelf Speakers - Pair - Black

I realize this is an on the cheap setup, but if it's better sound than the my LG OLED puts out on its own, I'll be happy.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I really liked my andrew jones pioneers for budget speakers. I'm still using the two rears actually.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I've got 3 kids age 5, 4, 2, and so floor standing speakers I think are out for the time being. I can just see them running around and knocking one of them over... Bleh. So, looking at these for 2 fronts for now.

Polk Audio - 5-1/4" Bookshelf Speakers - Pair - Black

I realize this is an on the cheap setup, but if it's better sound than the my LG OLED puts out on its own, I'll be happy.
Unless you have the B6 (I think that's the one with the sound bar), pretty much anything is supposedly going to be better audio wise. Polk is surpringly decent for entry level and should suffice plenty for what you're looking for.

Crone

a c i d.f l y a c i d.f l y That accessories 4 less site is legit? Think you said it was.

Utnayan Utnayan What HDMI cables do you recommend? Where can I get them cheap? the good ones!

Last edited:

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
  • 1Like

Crone

Nice, thank you!

Man, do I wanna pull the trigger and just go nuts. Full system!!

Then I realize I have 3 young kids, and I use my TV after they go to sleep. So then I question what the point is at all since I'll never be able to crank it up! Then I try and argue that better sound, even at lower levels, is still worth it. Then I do one of those ehhhhhh things to myself. FML

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Having a massively vaulted ceiling in my living room is fucking up my plans for expanding to a 7.2.4+ situation. I don't have a ceiling to mount speakers, or even ground based ceiling reflecting Atmos enabled speakers to operate properly. Time to buy a new house, lol.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
After picking up the LG C8, I've been investigating in means to improve my theater experience, and have gone down the HiFi rabbithole on the avsforums and realizing I'm only chipping the tip of the iceberg. $4-25k theater grade receiver/amps with customizable channel options, 200w/channel, massive knowledge gain on theater room insulation - green glue, multilayered sound insulation, etc etc. Realized I'll need a designated room, a significant income increase, and even then, I'd probably have to sell seats to afford the electricity bill to use said equipment. Still, a very interesting niche market to become aware of. Certainly gives ideas that can be taken advantage of even with restricted budget and space. If I lived in the north where basements are a thing, I would be more apt to dive deep...unfortunately I live in Texas, so two feet down is solid rock, and I've already disturbed my neighboring homes with a solid distance between them using my existing hardware. Apparently shaking the ground at 4am isn't so kosher. And I thought running the washer in an apartment was bad.

Crone

I'm sad to say my AV plans have taken a turn for the worse. Having 3 young kids significantly changes my use cases. No place to put the receiver. Running cords. Trying to hide them. The cost. Vaulted ceilings. Nothing sound insulated. It's just a huge mess.

It's a fun hobby I wanna get into, but it's not for right now. Doh.

• 1Solidarity

Qhue

Trump's Staff
On the 'Game Room' side of the equation, who here has experience building a retro arcade machine?

I found a cool video on how to do a total conversion of one of those Arcade 1UP 3/4 scale machines, but by that point I felt like maybe it'd be easier to go full scale.

Thoughts?

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I bought a Denon from them. Delivered quickly and the price was great.

It died in 6 months but they honored the warranty and it got repaired by a local place in Portland. It died again 6 months later and I tossed it in the trash and bought a Yamaha. Never looked back. Its been trouble free for years.

• 1Like

Cyrr

Trakanon Raider
How's the accessories4less site? I want a new Yamaha receiver looking at either YAMAHA RX-V583 7.2-Ch x 80 Watts Networking A/V Receiver or YAMAHA RX-A770 7.2-Ch x 95 Watts Networking A/V Receiver
The deals seem amazing but I'm hesitant being they are factory refurbs and I've never used accessories 4 less

Check out AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews - There's quite a few product reviews and it's a pretty solid source of information / discussions for anything HT / Game room related, both DIY and professional. I used to browse it pretty often, haven't done so for a little while though.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I just finished setting up my new Sony 49" x900f, Bose Solo 5, and Xbone X in a 9x12 spare bedroom as a temporary surgery recovery den. The TV's pretty awesome with the 4k from the Xbone X.

If this ends up being my permanent den, I'll upgrade my current 5.1 system to a Yamaha RX-A780, a pair of Polk Audio RTI A7 floor standing speakers for the fronts, and a second PL-200 II Subwoofer and hook it to the x900f.

A little construction and sound proofing would turn this room into a nice little den/theater room/game room.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've got the 4k projector up and running now but when everybody comes over for movie night, honestly the biggest single upgrade that everybody likes is a $25 hot dog roller I bought for myself as a Christmas present.

TM61Y47.jpg

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I bought these used a while back and haven't installed yet. I don't have a great way to run the speaker cables to my room, but I do have space behind my back row of seating to hide this amp. I am going to try out a wireless audio transmitter and send the audio from the equipment room, into the theater room.

q94xO8T.jpg

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I worked on the atmos setup a bit last weekend and realized that I am short a few channels of amplification. I will be running 7.2.4 and while my NAD receiver does support this, it only includes 7 onboard channels of amplification. I ordered two small rack amps to run the four overheads and will get them racked and running this weekend.

0lOxT1m.jpg

• 1Like