Home Theater/Game Room Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
So what is the value/performance subwoofer for a small media room? It is less than 400sqft, and it is not a true theater room. Also, it is upstairs, so I can't have it shaking the whole house.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
So I just bought a new house and will be building out part of the basement for my gaming. At this point I’m mainly a console player. I just don’t have the time to invest in console and PC and all my friends are on Xbox.

I’m thinking of jumping from a 55 inch 4K to a projector.

What’s the best gaming projector for great visuals. Do you guys see issues with input lag?

LiquidDeath

So what HDMI cables do my other home theater geeks use? I got a sweet fiber optic HDMI cable for my new set up, but I'm still getting occasional flickering from sources connected to my recover with much cheaper cables.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Generic 18gbps HDMI 2.0 cables from monoprice, which supports full 4k@60Hz. If you're experiencing flicker, the cable, connection or receiver is bad. There's no reason to buy special cables, as long as the digital signal is good enough at the length you need, which isn't really a concern until you go past 25 ft. Are you running 4K? Is your receiver compatible with 4K?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LiquidDeath

Generic 18gbps HDMI 2.0 cables from monoprice, which supports full 4k@60Hz. If you're experiencing flicker, the cable, connection or receiver is bad. There's no reason to buy special cables, as long as the digital signal is good enough at the length you need, which isn't really a concern until you go past 25 ft. Are you running 4K? Is your receiver compatible with 4K?

Yes, I'm running 4k and yes my receive is compatible.

The problem I am seeing is that everything works fine, picture is great, HDR is working fine and looks great. Then, for an unknown reason, the screen goes blue or black like the receiver is switching sources and then after a few seconds returns to normal.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Yes, I'm running 4k and yes my receive is compatible.

The problem I am seeing is that everything works fine, picture is great, HDR is working fine and looks great. Then, for an unknown reason, the screen goes blue or black like the receiver is switching sources and then after a few seconds returns to normal.
I would do a reset in your TV settings, and check for firmware updates for both the TV and Receiver. Sounds like it could be an HDCP compatibility issue -- does this happen with all devices plugged into your receiver? What model TV and Receiver? What devices are you using (xbox, roku, etc)? This happened with my old Samsung receiver. You can also try reversing the HDMI cable (I know it sounds strange, but some cables are mono-directional, namely the HDMI cable that came with the original XBOX One). Lastly, try a different port on the back of your TV.

So what is the value/performance subwoofer for a small media room? It is less than 400sqft, and it is not a true theater room. Also, it is upstairs, so I can't have it shaking the whole house.
I've got two of these that I picked up at Fry's for $50 each when they had them on sale, you can likely find a new one on ebay for that or less. The $55 Monoprice one is pretty solid for a smaller room, too. I probably wouldn't put any subwoofers on the floor if you're worried about downstairs, though that defeats 50% of the purpose and performance of a sub.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

I have an Onkyo TX-NR686 receiver and a LG OLED65B8 TV. I haven't used many inputs at this point, but it is currently happening when connected to my Roku Premier+.

I imagine it is some kind of HDCP issue, as to this point I only recall it happening during HDR content. I'll look into it. I only have HDMI 1.4 cables right now since I haven't bought them in a long time, so I ordered some Amazon HDMI 2.0 18Gbps cables to see if that cures the issue.

Thanks for the info, it is appreciated.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I have virtually the same setup -- NR787 and C8. I donated my Roku to Goodwill because it's a piece of shit, imho. We had to plug ours up to the TV directly and use ARC for the audio channel, and even then it was sketchy at best.

Google "roku blue screen", you'll see tons of reports about this. It's likely the cable or the port on the Roku. Or just the Roku being a Roku.

Cancel your Amazon order. Buy these, they're $4.42 each and I have this exact cable connecting all my devices.

Monoprice Select Series High Speed HDMI Cable - 4K@60Hz HDR 18Gbps YUV 4:4:4 28AWG, 6ft, Black - Monoprice.com

LiquidDeath

I have virtually the same setup -- NR787 and C8. I donated my Roku to Goodwill because it's a piece of shit, imho. We had to plug ours up to the TV directly and use ARC for the audio channel, and even then it was sketchy at best.

Google "roku blue screen", you'll see tons of reports about this. It's likely the cable or the port on the Roku. Or just the Roku being a Roku.

Cancel your Amazon order. Buy these, they're $4.42 each and I have this exact cable connecting all my devices.

Monoprice Select Series High Speed HDMI Cable - 4K@60Hz HDR 18Gbps YUV 4:4:4 28AWG, 6ft, Black - Monoprice.com

Well, right now my whole house is Roku based just because it is so convenient and my kids and wife know it.

What do you use besides Roku? I like it because it supports all my apps (except Twitch at this point). Plex, HDHomeRun, Amazon Prime, Neflix, SlingTV, Youtube, etc.

I'm willing to change over wholesale, but not to something that is inferior or just marginally better but with its own issues.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Your LG supports all of those except HDHomeRun, but they're apparently looking to dev the ap for webos (what LG uses). Twitch can be accessed through the web browser (use the mobile version). Personally I use an xbox one x, since it has aps for everything and is a very solid media device.

• 1Like

fris

Blackwing Lair Raider
Any suggestions on a 5.1 or 3.1 setup for a bed room?

Looking for wireless rears, probably sound bar up front, indifferent on getting a sub.

I read that wireless is decent now but dont remember which technology is good vs bad

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Just picked up an SVS PB-1000. Was going back and forth on a few different entry level subs and just settled here. There was a Rythmyk, HSU, Dayton, and Monolith that all seemed viable but at the end of the day Amazon had the SVS and I had like $250 AmEx points. Others would have to be ordered elsewhere heh. Should be in Wednesday just in time for my new floors to be installed.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Seems like this thread is kind of dead but I'll ask anyway. I'm doing a remodel on a house and part of that is going to be a home theater room in the basement. I'm not an audiophile and I'm happy with my current electronics, but I'll post them anyway just in case someone wants to weigh in. I'm not interested in spending a lot of money to upgrade speakers or anything though.

Fronts
Polk Audio Monitor 50 Series II Floorstanding Speaker

Center Channel
Polk Audio CS10 Center Channel Speaker

Satellites and sub came from this set, and I upgraded the fronts and center and used the original front speakers as my 7.1 rears.
Polk Audio RM6750 5.1 Channel Home Theater Speaker System

Basic Yamaha 7.1 receiver.
Yamaha RX-V671 7.1- Channel Network AV Receiver

The basement is one big room with some bedrooms in the back, probably 20x30. I'm planning to frame a wall about 7 feet from the far end and use the back room for a pantry + my water heater and softener + RO system. I think the pantry can be on one end and the mechanical room on the other and there will be room for an electronics cabinet in the middle. What I would like is for the TV to be the only thing actually in the room, and speakers and cable box, bluray player, etc hidden behind the wall. Probably put my modem and wifi router in there as well with a UPS on them. I'm also planning to recess the TV a few inches into the wall. Something like this:

home-design.jpg

I'm thinking instead of trying to make the speakers blend in, I'm planning to leave holes in the wall for the speakers to sit in, and then just cover the holes with speaker grill cloth and trim around them so they sort of look like cabinet doors but don't actually open. I understand that there are IR repeaters so that you can just point your remotes at a nub on the wall and it will transmit the signal into the electronics cabinet. Do these work well? Any recommendations on a good one? The basement has a dropped ceiling so running wires to the satellites will be a piece of cake. There are no windows except in the bedrooms so it can be dark at any time of day. Anyone know of anything else I should look out for?

Last edited:

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Seems like this thread is kind of dead but I'll ask anyway. I'm doing a remodel on a house and part of that is going to be a home theater room in the basement. I'm not an audiophile and I'm happy with my current electronics, but I'll post them anyway just in case someone wants to weigh in. I'm not interested in spending a lot of money to upgrade speakers or anything though.

Fronts

Center Channel

Satellites and sub came from this set, and I upgraded the fronts and center and used the original front speakers as my 7.1 rears.

The basement is one big room with some bedrooms in the back, probably 20x30. I'm planning to frame a wall about 7 feet from the far end and use the back room for a pantry + my water heater and softener + RO system. I think the pantry can be on one end and the mechanical room on the other and there will be room for an electronics cabinet in the middle. What I would like is for the TV to be the only thing actually in the room, and speakers and cable box, bluray player, etc hidden behind the wall. Probably put my modem and wifi router in there as well with a UPS on them. I'm also planning to recess the TV a few inches into the wall. Something like this:

View attachment 241784

I'm thinking instead of trying to make the speakers blend in, I'm planning to leave holes in the wall for the speakers to sit in, and then just cover the holes with speaker grill cloth and trim around them so they sort of look like cabinet doors but don't actually open. I understand that there are IR repeaters so that you can just point your remotes at a nub on the wall and it will transmit the signal into the electronics cabinet. Do these work well? Any recommendations on a good one? The basement has a dropped ceiling so running wires to the satellites will be a piece of cake. There are no windows except in the bedrooms so it can be dark at any time of day. Anyone know of anything else I should look out for?

The only thing I "know" from reading the last week before buying my new Sub posted up above are all the conversations about room size vs. sub size (or # of subs). With 6,000 cf of space to fill I'm not sure an 8" will get you there. With similar'ish room dimensions for my house (except my living room has a half open vaulted 35' ceiling going to the 2nd floor) I was considering a 15" but just didn't want to spend that money. And honestly it has been decades since I sat and tested out serious rooms and equipment. Not even sure what I'm expecting it to sound like. Guess we'll see tomorrow.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Yeah I think my sub is definitely the weak link in my setup. I'm not going to upgrade it right away, but I'll leave room in the cabinet for a significantly bigger one. I'm making the recess big enough for a 100" TV also. My 60" is going to look pretty small in there, but I want room to grow.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>

Fronts

Center Channel

View attachment 241784

Water heater/etc in same room with electronics. Be smart with placement of electronics.

Recessed tv idea needs to take into account way for heat to dissipate. Consider projector instead. And iirc proper 7.1 setup you should have speakers to the left and right of the seating area plus the rear surround l/r.

Ceiling mounted speakers are good for getting sound to the seating area if this is in a bigger space where the sound is going to bounce around. Not sure how well that’d work with a drop ceiling and you don’t want to spend extra.

I wouldn’t put much effort into all this if you’re not building a sound proof media room which is the best thing to do to enjoy this at your home and not disturb the rest of the house with sound. 75” on the wall with a soundbar, sell those speakers. Don’t waste your time and money on recessed wall stuff that doesn’t add to resale value.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
None of this is for resale value. This is for me to use. Never understood people making decisions about the house they live in based on resale value and not what they want in their own damn house but this house will never be sold in any case. The recessed wall is going to literally cost like $80 to do. I'm doing it because I like the looks of it.

With regard to the water system, it's a good 10 feet away from the electronics and they are not on the floor. Could a small crack in something theoretically throw some water that far? Maybe, but it's not like that shit happens often. That's what homeowners insurance is for. The main electrical panel is in there as well if you want something else to fret about.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
None of this is for resale value. This is for me to use. Never understood people making decisions about the house they live in based on resale value and not what they want in their own damn house but this house will never be sold in any case. The recessed wall is going to literally cost like $80 to do. I'm doing it because I like the looks of it.

With regard to the water system, it's a good 10 feet away from the electronics and they are not on the floor. Could a small crack in something theoretically throw some water that far? Maybe, but it's not like that shit happens often. That's what homeowners insurance is for. The main electrical panel is in there as well if you want something else to fret about.

A lot of people have plans to stay at the house they are in and end up doing remodels that cost a lot but don't add value and end up having been a waste of money when some situation comes up and they have to move. $80 recessed wall doesn't sound like a problem though. Good luck man, I hope it turns out well for you.

• 1Like