Home Theater/Game Room Thread

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
photoshit.png

This is my poor photoshop of the thing.

Sorry for posting so much, just excited about this and also ready for my guy to finish it.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
my gut feeling is you won't like how the subs sound in there, but everything else should be fine.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
You should buy some acoustic foam, or some simple duct liner from a local HVAC shop and line the back top and sides of that.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
You should buy some acoustic foam, or some simple duct liner from a local HVAC shop and line the back top and sides of that.

Agree. There’s actually cavities about 6-8” thick around the entire speaker area that are filled with the same material ATS acoustics puts in their sound panels. I had almost 20 2’x4’ panels in the room so my guy cut them all open and harvested the stuff to put in there. Good thing I wasn’t going to use them again!

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
IMG_9412.jpeg
IMG_9414.jpeg

Update! The thing is mostly faced out. The special trim around the cabinets is in place. The pilasters are mostly done. Tomorrow I think we are doing the big head piece that will be above the pilasters. Then just shelves and doors. And crown. It should be finished this week. He really did a good job. All the big seams are areas that are going to be covered up. Like the main seams on the front are covered with pilasters. And the seams above the pilaster will mostly be covered with the head piece. Really well done.

I'm debating paint colors. Most of my house walls are benjamin moore paper white, and trim is benjamin moore simply white. I was worried that this would look like a big wart if it was all benjamin moore paper white. So I thought about a non-white/gray color, like some kind of french blue. But that's a huge thing to paint. It's literally 10 (or 11 or 12?) feet tall and 14 feet wide. But I was worried about if the crown should match the rest of the room or if that whole wall (theater and crown) should just be one color. And if I go with some weird gray (benjamin moore metropolitan gray) then the walls are a different shade of gray, etc, it may look weird. So I don't know.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you are going with a projector you want it all dark, black preferably. Black ceiling, black carpet or at least black area rug right in front of the screen.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
If you are going with a projector you want it all dark, black preferably. Black ceiling, black carpet or at least black area rug right in front of the screen.

Oh I agree, the WHOLE room was black, this was the blackest room I've ever seen in my life. You could look up at the corners of the room and they were invisible because it was so black. It felt like a dark, depressing dungeon. I hated it. I'm going way lighter, and I'm going to make the room beautiful like a living room that happens to have a theater in it. I know it won't be optimal but I'm definitely getting away from the black!

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
8FBDBF16-6D7B-45D0-9382-B6CD75D58007.jpeg

Getting there. Just a little trim on top corners and below the screen, shelves, and doors remaining. Probably two more days.

I get frustrated with the speed but I have to remind myself it’s all custom woodwork and like it’s not off the shelf. Like the pilasters have the raised panel trim, but inset to that is a little baby crown that he routed/milled out in my garage. I think the proportions are all legit and it looks great. Painter coming Monday to get started. My dream is theater functional in two weeks.

(the screen here is bent, it’s my throwaway mockup screen)