Home Theater/Game Room Thread

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I was wondering if anyone had a subwoofer behind their couch instead of out front on how it sounds. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the SVS PB16 ultra and the best spot is behind my couch.

I have a buddy who loves subs, he has 4 theater chairs in a line facing the screen so he built 4 18" subs and put one directly behind each chair, almost touching it, to get some deep bass and tactile feedback for each seat. He loves it.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Hey guys, so I was curious how you guys have your game systems/peripherals installed? A sunk cabinet into the wall would probably be pretty sweet, but right now I just have a standard bought at Walmart wood thing that holds my TV and has cubbies underneath it. But between games, Ps4, Switch, and htpc laptop it's full and I still wanna put a Ps5 and Xbox in there eventually!

Any recommendations for not a full re-model but something that could help out and not look terrible?

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Hey guys, so I was curious how you guys have your game systems/peripherals installed? A sunk cabinet into the wall would probably be pretty sweet, but right now I just have a standard bought at Walmart wood thing that holds my TV and has cubbies underneath it. But between games, Ps4, Switch, and htpc laptop it's full and I still wanna put a Ps5 and Xbox in there eventually!

Any recommendations for not a full re-model but something that could help out and not look terrible?
Move the PS4 to another room?

Switch can be reoriented sideways or placed behind or on top of something. I have mine behind my center channel speaker, but my TV is mounted vs sitting on top of the entertainment center. 4 shelf, 2 drawers, and I can toss my portables on top (3DS, PSP, Switch). 4K BD and box sets in the drawers. 300+ blurays in tower racks separately.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I was wondering if anyone had a subwoofer behind their couch instead of out front on how it sounds. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the SVS PB16 ultra and the best spot is behind my couch.

Eh, isn't the first thing to know about subs is that it doesn't matter where you place them?

• 1Like

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Eh, isn't the first thing to know about subs is that it doesn't matter where you place them?
Read a bunch of stuff about sub placement on where to put them because of dead spots. Like you have to try different areas to find the sweet spot.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>

Subwoofer Placement
Room acoustics and furniture have an enormous impact on the sound of speakers. A well placed subwoofer’s bass integrates with the sound of the main speakers and produces a natural reproduction of music. A few guidelines for subwoofer placement are listed below.

Corner placement: This is the advice that is given most often. Although corner placement will yield loud bass, it may make the music sound boomy. You should place your subwoofer in a corner only if it is not capable of producing deep bass. It is also important to note that corner placement will not always make the subwoofer boom. In most cases, it depends highly on the geometry of the room. According to some experts, you should always place a sub in a corner, and use equalization to deal with audible peaks of the subwoofer's frequency response at that position.

You should not sit against the wall: Your movies and music will sound heavy and tiring when you are sitting against a wall. If you must sit against the wall because of the room’s layout, turn down the volume of the subwoofer to compensate.

Do not place the subwoofer in a symmetrical position in the room: Avoid putting a subwoofer in a location that is the same distance from the walls. Subwoofers sound better if they are placed in a location where their distances to the front, side, and rear walls are different.

Put the subwoofer close to the main speakers: Even though bass sounds are not directional, you will get a better blending between the main speakers and the subwoofer if they are on the same side of the room.

Two or more subwoofers are better than one: According to some experts, the way multiple subwoofers interact with the room is the single biggest factor in being able to get great bass in every seat of your home theater. Depending on your budget, you should use either two or four subwoofers. There is not much benefit from using more than four. Multiple subwoofers can reinforce each other’s bass response and will yield a smoother and more dynamic sound. If using multiple subwoofers, you must use identical subwoofers. Different models, even from the same manufacturer, may cause uneven response.

When using two subs, they can be placed in the front corners of the room close to the main speakers or one can be placed in the front and the other one in the rear. For even better bass and smoother frequency response throughout your home theater, use four subwoofers. As a starting point, put the four subs at the midpoints of each wall.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I need a new TV for the living room. Main purpose will be for movie-watching when people are over and whatnot. I've got an LG OLED in the game room for gaming, so there won't be any gaming on the living room TV. Any suggestions between these three?

I'm leaning towards the Sony X950. My LG has served me really well so I'm considering that one. Also the Samsung looks interesting. I don't know the first thing about QLED, though. Interested to try something different from what I already have so leaning away from the LG and towards the X950, unless QLED is really good.

TL;DR: Sony X950 vs. LG OLED vs. Samsung QLED?

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Only an extra 100 for OLED LG. I would go oled every time.

• 1Like

Louis

Trakanon Raider
I just bought an x950 and Ive had a few software and audio issues with it. Usually results in me having to do a full restart, not just turning it off and on.

It may just be by my unit and/or fixable as I havent spent much time researching it, but just throwing it out there. I think it was patched last week, so hoping that resolved it.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
2021 TV models come out in a month, so if you want the latest and greatest or a potential deal on a older model now is not the time to buy.

Samsung is also going to phase out QLED in favor of Neo QLED over the next few years.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I just bought an x950 and Ive had a few software and audio issues with it. Usually results in me having to do a full restart, not just turning it off and on.

It may just be by my unit and/or fixable as I havent spent much time researching it, but just throwing it out there. I think it was patched last week, so hoping that resolved it.

Ended up going with the LG OLED for a hundred more, think that's probably the best bet. I've got an LG and it works great. The TV I'm replacing is a Sony X800 from 2015 that REALLY should have lasted longer than this. So I'm a little hesitant to get another Sony after the 6 year old one I had just burned out. Hopefully my LG lasts a lot longer than that (it's 4 years old at this point). Either way, having a second LG is probably the best call.

• 1Truth!

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Ended up going with the LG OLED for a hundred more, think that's probably the best bet. I've got an LG and it works great. The TV I'm replacing is a Sony X800 from 2015 that REALLY should have lasted longer than this. So I'm a little hesitant to get another Sony after the 6 year old one I had just burned out. Hopefully my LG lasts a lot longer than that (it's 4 years old at this point). Either way, having a second LG is probably the best call.
That's actually the TV I went for, but bestbuy was sold out. Definitely a solid buy.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Now that that's done... what's the best way to get an X800 Sony TV repaired? It's still worth like $600-700 so I'll probably resell it whenever I get around to getting it fixed, assuming it isn't a giant PITA to fix it.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
2021 TV models come out in a month, so if you want the latest and greatest or a potential deal on a older model now is not the time to buy.

Samsung is also going to phase out QLED in favor of Neo QLED over the next few years.

Does that mean this is going to get a price drop?

Samsung Q90T 65"

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Now that that's done... what's the best way to get an X800 Sony TV repaired? It's still worth like $600-700 so I'll probably resell it whenever I get around to getting it fixed, assuming it isn't a giant PITA to fix it.
Any repair shop is gonna charge you a minimum of $400. It's cheaper to throw it away.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Any repair shop is gonna charge you a minimum of $400. It's cheaper to throw it away.

Damn, that's what I was worried about. Pretty disappointed in that TV. It started getting super-hot on the lower edge of the panel for a few days, then stopped working. Sony X800 4K LED. Can't recommend.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Does that mean this is going to get a price drop?

Samsung Q90T 65"
For 65" that probably won't drop too much lower (Black Friday price was $1900), Samsung's biggest discounts for 65s are end of year sales while 55s can push lower at odd times

Q90 are getting a Neo version for 2021 and it starts at the same $2600 MSRP as the Q90T, but they haven't been reviewed by rtings yet.

edit: 55" Q90T is on educational discount right now for $1439 at Samsung Student Discount | Education Discounts | Samsung US
Basically sign up with an edu address and check that page for specific deals

Last edited: